HP reverb g2 review before i buy!

is it fair to say Hp reverb has the best visual for msfs2020??? i have Osculus Q 2 and i hate how blurry the screen looks outside the bird… inside the airplane is ok but outside is horrible…what do you pilots think???

I had you last month and sent it back for a refund. Wasn’t happy with the visuals. Plus the thing generates a lot of heat, I could only wear it for about 20 minutes before starting to get queasy. I will try a cheaper VR headset later the year.

I had the Acer WMR headset and lately upgraded to the G2. I’m very happy with the G2 - the centre focus is very good as is the resolution, away from the centre the sharpness reduces but it actually took me a month or so to notice that. I think maybe the fact that I wear graduated focal lenses in my glasses has got me used to the idea of turning my head to look at things, rather than just turning my eyeballs, meant that I was already adjusted to the focus drop off and moved my head automatically to keep the sharpest spot in the centre of my vision. It seems that a lot of people can’t make that adpatation. it took two weeks to get used to using my glasses so maybe it would take new users the same period to get used to the G2.

There is some heat buildup but nowhere near uncomfortable for me, though if you lived in a ht climate that could become an issue. The heat is a little more than the Acer headset.

Overall, I’m very pleased with mine. The only time i had difficulties is when I’m over-tired. Almost all my flying is now done in VR.

Hi @Gorilla6938 love the HP Reverb G2 - it’s not a headset you can make snap decisions with as it takes time to get something you’ll be happy with but for me, it’s the best visual experience you can get in MSFS, not only the clarity but the colours are exceptional - it’s also very comfortable when put on correctly, the headset tracking is also very very good.

Now here’s the thing - in MSFS you’re still not going to get the best out of the G2 even with a RTX 3090 - it’s too demanding - it’s a straight compromise with visual clarity and smoothness however you can get pretty clear cockpit rendering increasing the render scaling in the MSFS graphics options.

Other downsides the controllers are ok but tracking is sometimes dodgy, the FoV is comparable to my Rift CV1 - which isn’t great to be honest however VR Cover do a thinner padding which improves matters and there are printed gaskets out there which offer much better FoV.

If I was you though I would definitely get the HP Reverb G2 without hesitation - the clarity is incredible and if you are lucky enough to have an RTX 3080 or RTX 3090 you can get a great visual experience with the promise of more to come when DX12 arrives in the summer.

I don’t notice any heat at all… My Rift S ran hotter. Visuals aren’t perfect, but still the best you can buy atm

Get it, it’s amazing!

While the G2 is the sharpest headset you already have a Quest 2. You won’t find a night and day (or even close) difference. For some being in the plane is enough to offset the low res of VR for others if it’s not 4K+ they are not interested.

Save your money sell your OQ2 and wait for 5 years.

1 Like

I posted this the other day in a different thread, TLDR version it is uncomfortable, hot and small sweet spot for me. I believe I fell victim to the YouTube reviewers:

Today I started a return on the G2. I am new to VR and bought a Rift S when the priced dropped and you couldn’t get anything else. Despite the lack of resolution, I was blown away by the immersion. I could finally fly a pattern as I would in real life. I was finally able to get a G2 after waiting several months and like a kid on Christmas morning couldn’t wait to set it up. I was very disappointed. My specific issues in order:

1. Exceptionally uncomfortable. No matter what adjustments the faceplate is too narrow and I found the head strap lacking compared to my Rift.
  2. Heat. Interior runs between 85-95 deg F plastic surface temperature. Front exterior 90-100 deg F. Temps taken with a calibrated industrial IR temp gun. The fact that the headset screen stays on all the time makes the heat issue worse. With my Rift S, as soon as I pull it off the screen goes off.
  3. Extreme clarity drop off. As many have said the sweet spot is sweet, but it gets blurry fast. For me this results in some eye strain and having to hold my head in just the right position which leads to some neck strain.

Overall, it is just not a good fit for me as much as I want it to be. If 1 and 2 were not issues, I could live with 3. Is the Quest 2 a viable alternative?

PC Specs: 10850K, 32G Ram, RTX 3090

1. Comfort is subjective. The general consensus is that reverb g2 is the most comfortable headset around, and oculus quest 2 with basic strap is pretty uncomfortable(mostly because it’s front heavy). I found it 5/10 on comfort scale, modded it a bit to make it fit my face better, still not happy about it.

2. Quest 2 heats up pretty fast, but mostly in the exterior, i believe because of the processor inside. I did not notice the screens getting hot, and i have my eyes almost touching the screens. It behaves like rift s in this manner.

3. The sweetspot is huge. With ss at max from oculus software, it is as good as it can get imo on cheap fresnel lenses, huge sweetspot, think 10/10 clarity in center 10-20%, then 9/10 clarity smoothly decreasing to a 7.5/10 clarity until the 85% of fov, and the last 15% of fov is blurry and full of chromatic abberations.

4. Be aware that the display contrast, colors, black level, brightness etc, is very bad on quest 2, like a cheap ips panel from 15 years ago. Also, the sound is very bad.

I personally could not stand the display quality, after coming from an odyssey+. And on the odyssey+, could not stand the resolution. Now i use a 65" 4k tv close up and trackir. I’m waiting for a headset with rgb oled, at least reverb g2 resolution, and at least index fov+sweetspot.

Yes, but it’s amazing how subjective the experience is for everyone. There’s a whole thread on here about G2 users who returned their headsets in favor of the Q2. The G2 is the only headset I’ve tried, but I was not impressed with the build quality, cable management, FOV, or sweet spot. I enjoyed using it for the two days that it worked. I’m tempted to try the Q2 now as I miss VR, but I know I’m just going to be disappointed again in that headset’s shortcomings over the G2.

I wish there was a showroom where you could try different headsets. I’d gladly pay a brick and mortar retailer more for the ability to do that. The online reviews and recommendations are almost worthless because of how personal the VR experience is.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I like the sound of the sweetspot. With the G2, it is so clear in the center and then drops off so fast that for me it was too distracting. Maybe there is a way with settings to degrade the center enough so it falls off more gradually, but I didn’t really try as I thought it defeated the purpose of the G2 to begin with. To your 4th point, I did notice the colors were good in the G2, but mostly use the headset on takeoffs and landing for the immersion, so I am no overly critical on colors. I may give the Q2 a try or just wait and see.

i looked at the comparisons on youtube and itr semmed to be better resoulution than quest 2 but folks here are saying the FOV view in not as wide as the quest 2…is that correct??? i have a 11 gig nvidia 1080ti 4.2 gig processor

The rough guide of headsets

Quest 2 best all round VR headset, visually, wireless and wired. Great tracking.

G2 best for sitting down and not using controllers. Great Color, sharpest center spot the world has right now.

Index best wired all round headset

But some people when given all three would be like … is that it? They simply can’t live with the fact the the very very best the world has to offer is not 4K sharp. No problem with that we are all different. But if you’ve tried Q2 or G2 then neither other one is any better visually to the point where your jaw will hit the floor and you’ll scream “Finally I can see!”

Save your money

1 Like

depends on your face… the stock interface is quite deep which means some people aren’t getting the maximum FoV the headset is capable of.

If you either have the right shape/size head, or use a thinner facial interface (such as a 3d printed one or the new VRcover interface with slim padding) then it should have slightly higher FoV than the quest 2.

1080Ti is pretty much the bare minimum for the G2, I used a 2070S which is similar in perf and wasn’t happy in most games, ended up feeling the need to upgrade.

@Player744061147 I agree that first time VR users like myself need to temper their VR expectations. My first VR experience was the Rift S in MSFS where I was blown away by the immersion and disappointed in the clarity. I purchased a G2 based on the rave reviews and was blown away by the center clarity and disappointed in the sweet spot fall off. As I have learned more about VR and how it works I have a better understanding of the excitement by long term VR users for the G2. I believe the majority of people like myself don’t have the time, patience or wherewithal to endlessly experiment or tweak and thus rely on the community to help us with settings and purchasing decisions. To that end I wish there were more objective reviews and I appreciate your post on such a subjective matter.

@Zeeflyboy @SkipTalbot As both of you pointed out and what I didn’t realize in my research was how subjective VR is in terms of comfort and visual experience. Hopefully in time we will again be able to go to a Brick and Mortar and try different headsets.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.