HP Reverb G2 Start-up Procedure

I have read numerous posts on this forum seeking guidance regarding how to eliminate various issues with the HP Reverb G2 (G2) headset (plus all other brands of headsets, for that matter). I acquired my G2 five weeks ago. It has been a steep learning curve to get it to perform smoothly and consistently. I finally identified a ‘start-up’ procedure that provides smooth and consistent operation.

When I fly in VR in MSFS2020 (FS20) the hardware I use is: i9 cpu, 3080 gpu, 32 gb ram, 3440 x 1440 G-Sync monitor, G2 headset. The software: FS20, Steam (I purchased MS20 on Steam), Windows Mixed Reality Portal (MRP), and Open XR Developers Tools (OXR). Although OXR is set-up it is not open while loading or running VR. I do not use SteamVR.

Here are the steps I take to start VR:

'1. no open applications on the task bar (MRP, OXR, Steam, and FS20 are closed);
2. no power to the headset;
3. open Steam;
4. start FS20;
5. minimize Steam to the task bar;
6. wait patiently for FS20 to load to it’s main Welcome page (big world is in the upper left).
There is no visible choice to open VR by clicking Ctrl + Tab only “Quit to Desktop” is displayed;
7. plug the headset cable into the power plug;
8. wait for MRP to load (MRP is sent a signal from the headset that the headset has power); a
VR image of the interior of the MRP ‘home’ becomes visible in the headset, a monocular image of
the ‘home’ becomes visible in the MRP app window on the monitor screen. The app is overlaying
the FS20 Welcome page;
9. minimize the MRP app to the taskbar;
10. observe the option Ctrl + Tab becomes visible on the Welcome screen;
11. press Ctrl + Tab (or click on the highlighted Ctrl + Tab region) and slip on the headset:
12. observe MRP transition from the ‘house’ screen via exploding graphics to a grayed out screen of
the FS20 Welcome page with an overlaid instruction screen prompting a click of the space bar to
center the image (this is displayed in 3d VR in the headset and double vision on the monitor);
13. the Welcome page centers, and becomes colorful, and it is displayed against a graph paper
background. The smaller FS20 app page shown against the graph paper background will be true
till all flight choices are made and the “Go Fly” box is clicked;
14. make all flight sim choices, click “Go Fly” and the entire headset screen is filled with the 3d VR
image. The monitor image is a full screen double vision image;
15. the setup is complete and flying should be smooth, crisp and sharp. To engage in another activity,
like a landing challenge, for example, conduct the necessary set-up in VR with the headset on
while peeking out to find the keystrokes that may be necessary.

Until I began following this procedure, I suffered many of the issues described by numerous ‘posters’ to this forum. The issues varied from time to time depending on my actions leading up to attempting to fly (my start-up procedures were inconsistent).

I now follow this procedure as a routine and have ~ 13 successive instances of successful loading with no bad outcomes. I went through this procedure again, in detail, to validate the steps as I wrote this post.

By the way, when I quit flying (clicking on Return to Desktop, and closing Steam), the Mixed Reality Portal program will still be running and is persistent in refusing to close. I discovered this is because my headset was still plugged into power. When I unplug the headset, the program will wind down and close in about 5 seconds.

It is now my belief that VR for FS20 is an Add-On application (this makes sense to me since it was introduced ~ 6 months after the original release of FS20). In order for it to work well with headsets, all of the core elements of FS20 need to be loaded first, then the VR headset program loads, latching to all the underlying FS20 hooks required for the headset to function properly. I don’t know this for a fact. However, my 30 years as a manufacturing engineer guided my problem solving. I am now enjoying all aspects of FS20 and my G2 headset.

I hope this can help many of those who have been suffering similar issues with their equipment.

6 Likes

I have no idea why items 1-9 are displayed as they are. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you for this tutorial, if I ever buy an HP Reverb G2.
It’s weird because points 1 to 9 are not translated into my language.

I’ve seen something similar on software dev forums when someone pastes a chunk of code into their post - usually there is “paste code” icon in the toolbar, I don’t see that in this forum.

I have a completely different approach - I start Windows MRP and then run FS2020, once it’s loaded I switch to VR. That’s it!

8 Likes

Crikey…my startup procedure for my G2 that is always plugged in to a powered USB is:

1. start msfs
  2. enter VR mode via a mappable button I have on my joystick
5 Likes

Precisely @Precog6268 LOL :joy: start-up is simple for me, occasionally I need to restart the Portal but that’s it.

The only issue I’ve ever had is self-inflicted. I used a cable tie at the back and sometimes the cable get’s a bit tight between the tie and where it’s plugged in and loses connection, reasonable I just loosen the cable - need to put some tape around the cable before the tie to stop it slipping and that will be solved.

1 Like

Me, too. I didn’t realize anything else was necessary.

I actually don’t start VR until I’m ready to start the flight so I can load in my Navigraph flight plan, if I’m doing IFR.

1 Like

4 spaces at the beginning of a line will do a fixed font format. Either that or starting with an apostrophe like ‘this’.

This forum uses ‘markdown’ as its formatting language. More info on that here:

https://commonmark.org/help/

I like your approach! Is like warming up for the aircraft start up checklist :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks TexasHinge. I did attempt to copy / paste a portion of a response I had written to another person on this topic, trying to save time and effort. I’m sure your insight is correct.

notsofearless:

Thanks for your comments and referral to the Markdown Reference. I took the 10 minute test which took me an HOUR! (I never heard of Markdown before today). Hope I can go back to my post and make corrections. We will find out in a minute.

Simple as that!:slight_smile:

FelipeTurbay:
It seems extremely long and complicated only because I was trying to be very explicit for the benefit of “flyers” with little to no experience with the Reverb G2 headset. As you perform this procedure a few times, I think you will find it is not complex or slow compared to a random sequence of starting, particularly if you eliminate any issues.

1 Like

I think I was able to successfully edit the post. It looks different to me, anyway. Would you mind checking it and see if it looks correct to you?

Thanks

1 Like

@Precog6268 the procedure seems long and complicated because I was being extremely explicit to help new users be confident they weren’t missing a step. In reading your response, however, I probably should have been more explicit.

In my setup, I too have the two cables leading to the usb3 port and the graphics card always plugged in. It is the 5v power plug that attaches to the side of the small distribution box I was referring to. I believe it is best to not plug that in till you are at the Welcome screen inside FS20.

1 Like

While I haven’t done direct comparisons, my thought is that if I’m flying in VR, the main MSFS should be minimal, so I have it set to a small windowed resolution (like 768x1024). With this setup, if I start the Mixed Reality Portal after MSFS is running, MSFS will act like my mouse pointer is offset (i.e. where I’m actually clicking is different than where the game thinks I’m clicking). So I always start WMRP before MSFS.

Do you mean the mouse pointer in VR is offset making it more difficult to click VR switches, levers, etc. while flying? I have played with MSFS2020 (FS20) both full screen and minimized and have not noticed this behavior.

My problem is a bit different. I’m hoping someone has solved this issue: After flying in VR I hit the button to bring me back into 2D, perhaps to check the chart etc). I find my system is so terribly sluggish I can barely do anything. In order to get the speed back I have to exit the Sim. Are others having this experience and is there a fix? My system:

i7 8700k 5gHz
RTX 2070
Reverb G2

If you were responding to me… No, I mean the normal 2D MSFS window. I don’t know if it carries over into VR as I always exit and restart MSFS when this happens.