HP Reverb G2 World Scale and Field of View

For those with a G2, you can change the World Scale and Field of View with the OpenXR Toolkit. I am experimenting with 97% World Scale and 87% Field of View. I find it greatly increases clarity in the headset.

When you adjust World Scale you can see the app calculate your IPD (Inter pupil distance). If you know your IPD you can dial this in exactly.

For Field of View, I just started dropping it until I could see some movement at the far edge of my peripheral vision.

Give it a try and share your settings!

FoV impacts clarity in the centre by squeezing more pixels into smaller FoV. World scale has no impact on clarity.

1 Like

These are from the OpenXR Toolkit website:

Knowing your IPD, inter pupil distance will allow you to dial this in excactly. Think of it as correctly focusing the lenses. Itā€™s working great for me in both MSFS and DCS, so I am wondering if others are getting the same results.

Field of View does what you describe.
Iā€™ve run the eye calibration tool, but I think this setting in the Toolkit does it better. Iā€™m not sure why.

As far as FOV goes, itā€™s true. Smaller FOV produces a massive difference in clarity. However in my personal experience, itā€™s a better idea to choose ā€œoptimize for performanceā€ in WMR portal settings as this will also reduce the FOV by roughly 10% (without lowering resolution). Compared to using Toolkit to do the same, it produces better results in terms of visual borders. OXRTKT makes a box like appearance around your periferal vision which is much more obvious and more limiting for some reason than what the wmr portal does automatically. So try that instead. I find best combination is to use ā€œoptimize for performanceā€ and then disable or cull the mask in toolkit. You will still notice some irregularities in periferal vision but the increase in clarity is worth it.

2 Likes

I think this is more of a Focus issue than a resolution one. Itā€™s like these headsets came out of the factory unfinished, and adjusting the world scale (camera distance) and field of view were the last steps.

well as far as the procedure iā€™m describing goes, itā€™s actually a bug that just never got updated, shows you just how much Microsoft cares about WMR. When you select ā€œoptimize for performanceā€ it was supposed to lower the FOV and also lower resolution. For some reason though it only lowers fov but keeps the resolution, so same amount of pixels in a smaller area = better clarity. Generally, though, i agree, there certainly were design flaws in G2.

World scale is related to IPD (Interpupillary Distance) not focusing or camera distance.
First - you should set the physical IPD in your headset according to your actual IPD. If the optics of your headset are set wrong, your eyes will be not in sweet spot (centre) of each lens and the sharpness/clarity will suffer.
Second - the perceived scale of the world depends on the IPD which is assumed by the sim. If your eyes are further aways from each other vs the distance assumed by the sim, you will see the world as elephant looking at the world projected for the mouse. Itā€™s very subjective, a perceptual thing. So if you have the impression that your cockpit or your virtual seat is too small, you can ā€œincreaseā€ the virtual world size by changing the IPD in the sim.
This has nothing to do however, with the image sharpness or clarity, as long as your physical IPD is set correctly in the physical headset.

Hi, I thought that Optimise for performance is only related to Window Home Environment.

No. Itā€™s related to everything, since the API is tied to everything running below it. Itā€™s not a very good choice for steam content, but in MSFS it actually produces interesting results. As far as clarity goes, significant results. That is, if you can accept the ā€œtrailing edgesā€ that it also produces. It takes some getting used to. I suggest trying it in a way that you change the setting while youā€™re actually in game so you can get the best comparison.

1 Like

I wonder how effective the IPD slider is on the headset. I also wonder how the software version does it better than the analog version. I tried the two settings separately and together, and IMHO, this is the finishing touch for the G2 as far as clarity goes.

The IPD slider in the headset (e.g. the mechanical slider in the G2) controls the physical distance between the lenses in the headset. This can affect the clarity, as your eyes should be in the centre of the lenses.
The world scale setting in the sim or OpenXR Toolkit, controls the projection distance used by the sim. It affects the perceived scale of the projected stereoscopic world, but nas no impact on image sharpness/clarity.
More about this you can find in the OXR Toolkit documentation.

1 Like

Yep, the physical slider on the G2 just moves the distance between the lenses. It appears to be just the right lens that moves if you try it with either eye closed and this actually make it easier to set I find. Close your left eye and just get your right eye sharp with the slider.

This is incorrect, both lenses move on the G2

1 Like

Yep, my bad, you are right. Tried it last night. I do find it easier to get the best clarity by alternating closed eyes though.

I wondered why I was seeing ā€˜ghostingā€™ā€¦ thanks for reminding me that I switched ā€˜For Performanceā€™ on to try it outā€¦