Huge improvement in sim stability (because of BIOS, chipset, and other drivers update?)

My system (5800X3D, 3090 Ti FTW, 64GB DDR4-3600/CL14) has always been quite stable, with good FPS and latency numbers.

After SU13 was installed, I had a rash of CTD’s. Things seemed to improve a bit after I upgraded from an 850W to 1000W power supply, but I was still getting unexpected, random CTD’s. And performance wasn’t what I was used to.

I’m not blaming SU13, but others have reported similar experiences, and I really hadn’t changed anything else. First rule of troubleshooting: “What changed?”

Anyway, I decided to update my MSI B550-Pro A system BIOS, and update the chipset drivers, along with network and audio drivers I got from the MSI website.

I’ve been flying for a week now, and I can honestly say things have not felt more stable, smooth, and high performance than they are right now. I hope it’s not an illusion… :wink:

I can understand a new bios helping stability but the chipset drivers on the motherboard manufacturers web site typically are old. I’ve always installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from the AMD web site but I’m happy if your system is now smooth and stable! It’s a journey!

Thanks.

From MSI:
AMD Chipset Driver 5.01.29.2026 (02-24-23)

AMD’s site confuses me. The only driver I see is for something called ‘StoreMI’ version 2.1.0.218.

The latest I can find using google to search ‘AMD Chipset Driver’ is version 3.10.08.506 (no version date given.)

You point is well taken, but I think I’ll stick with the MSI version for now. It seems recent enough.

The AMD web site is here to get your updated chipset drivers.

AMD Graphics and Chipset Drivers

Just plug in your info: Chipsets->AMD Socket AM4->B550->Submit then expand out the Windows 11 64-bit Edition. For your motherboard, the driver version is 5.08.02.027 dated 8/17/2023. I searched on ‘AMD Drivers’ to get there (been there a hundred times for GPU drivers). I’m not sure what the StoreMI drivers are but I did see some general info down lower on the web page (you can peruse the User Guide to get a better feel for what they are).

Having said all that, I checked my Asrock MB web site and downloaded their latest chipset drivers for my X670E MB. While there were no dates associated with Asrock’s drivers there were individual version numbers in a release notes document. Upon comparison of the AMD driver dates using Device Manager, I found a couple of the drivers from Asrock were more recent than AMD’s so you might want to verify dates/versions 1st!!

But as the saying goes, if it ain’t broken, no need to fix it! :+1: :rofl:

That’s the site I went to. Odd that I don’t see the chipset driver you mentioned when I expand. All I see is StoreMI.

I’ll search the ‘AMD Drivers’ section. The one you mentioned is definitely a more current version. I’m just not sure what the incestuous relationship between the motherboard, OS and chipset drivers is.

And of course you’re right. If it ain’t broke…

Now that is very weird!! :thinking:

Not that I want you to change anything but… I just followed the link, and then selected Chipsets->AMD Socket AM4->B550->Submit then expand out the Windows 11 64-bit Edition and this is what I got: