Huge low cloud/fog layers popping up VERY obviously in SU10

Not had this before, but on my SU10 test flight across the UK from London to Dundee last night in the FBW 320, I twice saw one of these large low level fog/cloud layers just spring up from nowhere. Seconds earlier I could see the ground clearly, and then whoosh, this big fog layer just splatted across the landscape very visibly and obviously in around 2-3 seconds.

Happened twice in a 1 hour flight.

Complete immersion killer when it happens.

It might be when a metar gets loaded for an airport local to the aircraft position, but whatever, it’s soooo ugly and obvious when it happens, it needs fixing.

Othen than that, and some still bad (loading?) stutters/hangs on approach to airfields, the sim is performing well, so overall, nice one Asobo, but still work to do, as always with a project as massive as this.

5 Likes

Could be it coming into range as such, and noticeable from your altitude. Another draw distance issue perhaps?

Still seeing this too, just like on previous versions. Here’s a clip from Xbox, approaching KSJC from the northwest when suddenly a haze layer appears:

3 Likes

Yup. That looks like the same problem.

I thought work had been done to smoothly and seamlessly blend local metar with the more general meteoblue live weather, but it doesn’t seem to be working very well.

Let’s hope they can tweak this soon to eliminate these rapid changes.

3 Likes

Man, that looks really good! I understand the issue of it popping into existence really annoys some folks, but that’s well done. They just need to figure out how to fade it in over a minute or two.

1 Like

I don’t see why the haze layer should fade in over time instead of simply being there and visible the entire time the physical area it’s in is visible on screen…

Just got another one, flying at FL600 over Oregon (in F-15). As I came within a few miles of Portland, suddenly a haze layer sprung up over the city. As I was looking around at the scenery a few minutes later, I saw a similar haze layer behind us, over Salem, suddenly disappear as we presumably reached some critical distance from it.

I suspect there should be haze over the entire Willamette Valley in Oregon, not just around larger airports while I’m within a certain number of miles from them. :frowning:

2 Likes

You flew an A320 into Dundee airport? Props to you man!

This is an old problem unfortunately…sudden haze/low visibility popups, METAR bubbles…totally kill the immersion for me too.

Heh! Yeah. Thanks dude. It’s pretty tight to get an A320 in there, especially with half full fuel tanks. You have to touch down near the threshold on min safe speed and be quick on the brakes and reversers.

Getting out again is tight too.

Good fun. :slight_smile: :+1:

My assumption was that it was a newly reported phenomenon from a new report that was just issued, and therefore needed to be added to the sim. But, if it’s really just draw distance related, then that’s gotta be related to performance. Personally I’m not at all interested in giving up performance to stop weather pops. They just aren’t that big of a deal. As long as I’m experiencing accurate conditions on approach (and I basically always do), the rest is eye candy. And that’s nice, but not a big deal.

For VFR flying, knowing whether you can make an approach before you get there is nice. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.