Humoungous Update Fails!

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No

Brief description of the issue:

I have no idea why but when Iaunched FS2020 I was confronted with a Standard Content Mandatory Update of 110.37GB!!! I am running version 1.33.8.0.

With such a huge bandwidth requirement I had to re-negotiate a new unlimited data deal with my Vodafone service.

Knowing that the update would take several hours I started it at 11pm and saw that data was downloading at about 18Mbps. As my computer system is in my bedroom I switched off the monitor so I could get undisturbed sleep.

In the morning I discovered that the computer had switched itself off and on relaunching FS2020 I was again confronted with the same mandatory update!

Later I launched DU Meter which shows internet activity. I started the Mandatory Update yet again and this time I watched what was happening. All OK for about a minute but it froze on “[11/349] downloading microsoft-aircraft-dc3-1.0.7fspatch” and never got beyond that despite data still downloading at 18Mbps.

I gave up. Any ideas?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

No

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

When you get that installation dialogue, I am betting that it is no longer pointing at the location your sim is installed in. My further bet is you might actually have two MSFS installs now, and one of them has been “orphaned”, and is no longer in active use because the new location is defined in the “usercfg.opt” file.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

3 Likes

If the above suggestion from hobanagerik doesn’t apply, shut down the sim and delete the folder the download is stuck on.
Restart the sim and the download should resume.

1 Like

MyFS2020 is so badly corrupted that I have no faith in being able to restore it. My son has suggested that I uninstall it and do a completely fresh install of the software I purchased in November 2020.
Question – will I need to download and install the dozen or so World Updates? That is daunting.

Yes, you will.
Sim updates will be included, but since World Updates are not mandatory, they will have to be installed separately.

So where would If ind the folder containing dc3-1.0.4fspatch?

How do I know the file, folder the update is stuck on? It’s all happening in the background.