I don't get the obsession with stall behavior

It seems like every release there’s some improvement that mentions something like stall behavior. When I passed my PPL, my examiner told me to not ever do a stall on purpose without an instructor on board. (Yeah, I know, in the sim is a safe place to practice stalls.) So, while Asobo is focusing on something we’ll rarely do, it diverts their attention from something that we should and will experience…moving air.
Air moves. It moves like water all around your aircraft. It makes the airplane rock and tip and your job in every flight is to keep the airplane steady during cross country flights, turns around a point, traffic pattern and all of the things students and pilots do besides stalling. I like to go to Youtube and watch the pilot’s hands constantly moving to counter that moving air. That’s what you need to learn more than stalling. So, can we get over all the stalling business and start focusing on the normal things we’ll see and have to deal with in every flight like moving air?

18 Likes

Stalls are dynamic phenomena. An accurate representation is an indication of an accurate flight model.

34 Likes

Interesting perspective and agree, I don’t spend time trying to stall simulator airplanes. Ionly practice them, and other “performance” maneuvers with an instructor in the real airplane during checkups just to stay sharp.

Perhaps the desire is some kind of indicator for how well the flight model is in the simulator? Perhaps, but as @Eefoe stated, they are dynamic and every type of airplane has its own stall characteristics. Which means the flight model is only half the equation.

True. I flew C152s in flight training and almost all of them handled stalls the same…except one which was a nightmare. It always winged over in power-on stalls. That plane made me nervous.

1 Like

Yes! As strange as it sounds, power off stalls in a 152 or 172 require work. You literally will just hang there, yoke in your lap begging the airplane to stall most days. These are trainers for a reason and not all are so docile in the stall.

Now Power ON stalls in either aircraft always had me on my toes. I’m not a fan of spinning so those really had me focus on staying coordinated.

Having said all that, to the OP original idea, I’m not sure I understand the obsession with stalls in MSFS either. I don’t look forward to doing them in the real airplane either.

1 Like

Heaven forbid you try to level the airplane when it tries to wing over. Recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Yeah, not good at all.

rudder rudder and more rudder

1 Like

My point is, if you get out of the normal flight envelop, bad stuff is going to happen and, just because you can handle it in the sim, doesn’t mean you can handle what happens in the real airplane because it’s different. And, to me, I think they’ve done a good enough job at giving someone an idea of what’s going to happen. But, folks who are practicing stalls in the sim don’t know about swirling air and rising and falling columns and in that context, controlling their heading and altitude while the airplane is tipping back and forth, etc. That’s a big piece of what makes it interesting up there.

3 Likes

Stall Practice is good. Drum it in to yourself - so you don’t have to do it real World - real pilot here as well. Stalled once - never want to do it again.

What’s wrong with exercising the envelope between Vsw and Vne?
Makes you better.

Do it in the sim so you don’t have to up there and you’ll know how to avoid.

Life sucks when you’re in 2 tons of metal falling vertcally to earth.

• CONTROLS TO NEUTRAL (Let go of everything)
  • RUDDER OPPOSITE TO DIRECTION OF SPIN (I know, counter-intuitive but DO IT . . .NOW!)
  • STICK BACK TO RECOVER FROM DIVE - (Once Airspeed established)

Congrats. You ain’t going to die.

Ain’t flying just the best thing?

8 Likes

Maybe a stupid non-pilot remark :nerd_face: but what about a little side wind ? Wouldn’t it tip over ?

I really like doing stalls and spins with the A2A, SimCoders and Airfoillabs 172 in P3D and XP. Hope to see the Cessna 172 by A2A in MSFS someday.

2 Likes

That’s a good question. When you’re close to a stall you really feel the little movements and gusts in air and you’re dancing on the pedals and some on the ailerons, working to keep the plane flying. It’s all fine. You get used to it. The airplane is designed to fly and keep flying as much as it can even on the edge of that envelop.

3 Likes

I agree with your points here. By definition stalls are edge cases - 99%+ of flying is in the normal “flight envelope” - that’s where the focus on making the sim the best it can be should be.

1 Like

Ever tried to land on a building in the sim ? you’ll need to stall (or stol) else euuhmm… :grimacing:

You practice stalls because - if you’re flying the airplane correctly - you are near stall speed in the final stage of landing. Slow flight performance is critical to practice, until it becomes natural. That’s how you get good at managing the most dangerous part of flight: landing the aircraft. Second to that? Engine failure on takeoff. That’s the other place you’re very near stall speed. Just look at accident stats. Landing and takeoff lead the pack.

Practice, practice, practice. Don’t become a statistic. That’s why the sim is so much fun!

8 Likes

That said, a lot of real life aircraft are super docile in power off stall by design. A real life Jabiru for example just mushes a bit and loses a lot of height.

Yes, but the flight model can be perfectly good when flying normally but be poor in abnormal attitudes. IE: Poor stalls don’t necessarily mean a “bad” flight model in normal flying. Of course, why the stall may not be accurate can be an engine or aircraft thing too.

For people wanting to do aerobatics it is really important but for most of us that don’t do that, it really doesn’t matter except maybe if you want to do some stall training. But doing a stall in the sim is still nothing like being in the aircraft anyway, even if the aircraft departs very similarly. Few if any of us have the motion simulators required to pull it off.

Look at commercial sims and how ■■■■■■ they were compared to gaming flight simulators.

1 Like

it may also depend on what type of flying your doing

stall practice can help you learn the aircraft better, how it ‘feels’ as well as handles
aside from the obvious stunt pilots, many others from bush pilots & crop dusters to fighter pilots learn the full ‘envelope’ of the aircraft by these type of maneuvers that no common instructor would suggest
its better to learn when it will stall in a safe practice scenario than when your flying low over a field overweight at low altitude or w/e

1 Like

All good stuff, but there is definitely a number of people on this forum who use stall behaviour as a way of testing the flight model…and if stalling isn’t what they expect, then hands are thrown up in disgust and scorn is heaped on the flight model.

2 Likes