I have figured out what the root causes of my FPS drops are. Workaround included (may only work for some)

EDIT: THIS FIX ONLY WORKS FOR THOSE WHO SEE A HUGE FPS BOOST WHEN CHANGING FROM COCKPIT TO EXTERNAL CAMERAS

I’ve tested this thoroughly over the last few days ever since the update introduced very odd and seemingly random FPS drops.
It’s related to things that are powered by the master battery. The main cause might be the GPS but it’s difficult for me to pin this down on one particular part of the plane.
What I’ve been doing to ‘fix’ this issue until Adobo does, is to essentially turn off the battery. I have a hotkey set to “toggle master battery & alternator”. Many planes can fly fine without it and you can enjoy a smooth framerate. Set it to an easy hotkey so you can easily turn it on when you require electrical power.
These are my specs: 9700k / RTX2080 / 16GB RAM / 970 EVO
I only play in VR. With the battery off in my cockpit I can now look around smoothly. It’s seriously a jump from 20fps to 50+fps for me.
Side note. The only CPU heavy setting is Terrain Level of Detail. Everything else can be safely cranked up fairly high.

Feel free to report back if this fixes those terrible FPS drops.

20 to 50?! That seems to good to be true

what did you exactly mean ? the Battery Master Switch of when Airborn or ??? can you make a video for dikumentation ??

Thanks a lot…

Ive been flying the 152, there are no advanced avionics in this plane and it still does the stutters…But hey Im up for it, I’ll give it a try and see if it makes a difference…

10 min later…Started at burke lakefront, switched battery off and noticed if you dont have the battery on in the 152 you dont have fuel gauges…REALLY??? lol

Launch all seems okay 6min and 28 secs into fly the stutters are still there…Next fix please! ROFL
Why dont they just roll back the bug fix, that bugged so many of us and figure out whats wrong with the patch they released. At least most of us would be able to fly…

4 Likes

I have almost the same specs (but 32GB ram and also play in VR(reverb G2). Battery and or Alternator on/off makes no difference in FPS. I try’ed in cessna152 and 172.

1 Like

This FPS fix is mainly for those who experience weird unexplainable sudden drops that stay low.
I randomly experience mine, sometimes it starts at takeoff, sometimes in the middle of nowhere.
I’ll clarify something in the original post.

In my case I consistently notice this FPS boost. 40-60fps is what I normally get in VR, so it’s my baseline. Whenever this random FPS drop hits, it gets halved. Disabling the battery restores my FPS.

I’ve added a line at the top of my original post. To me this workaround makes flying in VR still very enjoyable. It’s kinda fun to fly without instruments sometimes too.

As much as I appreciate so many people trying to figure out what’s wrong with the sim- this is starting to get goofy.

Asobo is aware of the issue. Why not just wait for a fix? It’s becoming clear that none of our tweaks and workarounds are going to solve a problem that’s baked into the sim.

4 Likes

LOL wait for a fix…for what a week month year? Why arent they hard at work fixing it now on the weekend, bet if you call over there, you wont find a soul.

Here’s a better question, Why dont they roll back the patch, so that we can play instead of waiting with little to no word on when a fix will become available if it will become available at all. Remember they didnt tell us they were gonna give us a patch to fix this, just that their looking into it.

Maybe you have $60-120 to waste on non-working software but alot of us dont.

4 Likes

Well, I don’t know what to tell ya- but watching everyone over the past few days in here coming up with “the” solution is like watching water flow uphill. Not gonna happen. So, do you want to spend all day chasing ghosts or find a plane/situation that works and enjoy flying instead?

People are jumping to conclusions and then to solutions without any definition of what the problem is. The reports of FPS tanking or something happens only when I fly to xxxx ARE SYMPTOMS. The poor performance started with 1.14.5.0 or with WU3 ARE SYMPTOMS.

Turning a battery switch off or reinstalling MSFS are “solutions” looking for a problem.

The root cause(s) need to be clearly identified before any fixing can be done. This takes time. The more complex the environment, the more severe the problem the more time it takes. The developers can’t google “stutters MSFS Windows fix?” The patch, if it is a patch, doesn’t magically appear.

Rolling back an update is not trivial. It may take almost as much time to develop and deliver a rollback as it does to deliver an update. And the problem(s) still have to be fixed.

6 Likes

Because Asobo and Microsoft aren’t slave drivers? As frustrating as the bug is, they’ll fix it during normal working hours like most any studio would.

4 Likes

It didn’t work for me. I bet by you disabling battery/alternator puts you right under your system or graphics memory limits hence improving your throughput. Whenever my performance tanks, I notice either my graphics or system memory is full.

Yeah it’s a shame that this isn’t the solution for the majority if not all responses here.

OP could you change the title of this thread or delete it and start a new one with a more accurate title?

Got excited and then disappointed when it clearly wasn’t the root cause of the problems or a workaround…

Yah, title over promised and the content bombed, despite OP’s good intentions.

2 Likes

object LOD is also quite cpu heavy, also traffic settings.
all this does is reduce CPU load calculating instruments and such from planes

Sadly what this is doing is only giving the cpu more head room. The new performance problem that’s involving the manipulators was something that in my case was just introduced on the last update.

Oh my god sorry about that. I had no clue I could edit the post title on this forum. I’m rather new here. I’ve edited it now.

1 Like