I Interviewed Jorg Neumann on Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox, future plans, AI traffic, shared cockpit, replays, & much more đŸ€—

This doesn’t surprise me at all. Definitely have to admire Jorg’s work ethics. :grin:

Starting work at 8 'o clock is not really considered early in Germany.
that’s a pretty standard starting time for many people.

Matt said 5.

Thank you for answering these questions

that’s impressive !

All high managers on big project do this. Mine does as well. It is more normality than exceptional.

Is it so wrong to give praise and credit instead of just being an Eeyore and trying to put out those fires of acclamations?

The work being done here and the positive vibes of Jorg are worth noting especially with all that’s going on in the world. This Sim is a beautiful escape, albeit temporary, but a fun reprieve nonetheless!

Hearing people shrug off his hard work, happy-positive demeanor, and then even accuse him of fake smiles is beyond comprehension. Smacks of envy.

Gratefulness is so much more attractive.

This is a big project and I’m sure behind the scenes the work is rewarding but exhausting.

Sheesh.

6 Likes

But they only use a dx12 wrapper without custom dx12 coding. So the Code can be identical. The true adaptation of dx12 features should come together with the pc release.

I love the project, the product but i never have personality cult neither fanboy attitude. I’m focused on the product i have paid for, i didn’t give my money to enter in a fan club. So Jorg is doing his job, well, and thx for that, but nothing more. At this level of responsability on the most important video game franchise (and at this level of money too), such an implication is normal.

1 Like

Glad that you have a good manager, but I can guarantee that among all the executives and sub-executives I know (and I know quite a few) this kind of work ethics and enthusiasm is rare.

At lower level is a lot more common, but at Jorg’s level it’s not.

1 Like

Being grateful and kind is not fanboy-ism.

It’s common decency. Or uncommon decency these days.

8 Likes

I had thx him. I don’t feel the need to do more. I’m grateful for people doing mod or nice addons on their free time and for free for example. So ro all rhe community that makes FS qtill alive aftzr MS abandon it. They are the heart of FS

Dars,
I sure agree with that
 I retired from a Govt IT position several years ago and we were required to be on the job by 7:30 , however, most of the teams were there by 7am
 So I consider officially starting work at 8 as a most reasonable time.

Couldn’t agree more. This was more of a marketing piece, it seems.

I do find Jorg’s comments on shared cockpit and the future of the flight sim a bit questionable/worrisome.

"We know we need to do more work on the shared cockpit. Obviously, we’re an entertainment product, but there are a lot of requests from flight schools, flight trainers, big companies that make aircraft
 They all want to use this as a training tool and so far we’ve always said that there’s work to be done in order to enable that and there are things in the way to make it something elegant beyond gaming.

We’re obviously looking at this and we’re going to make a decision in a few months on whether we go left or right. It’s not decided yet.

But that being said, for simmers or people who are casually doing this, I think you’re completely right that it’s a needed feature because people can help each other. One of the things that I’m actually super excited about is this notion that people can assist each other in the sim."

He’s speaking not just about shared cockpit and more on the “hardcore sim vs casual sim” argument which I find it a bit concerning they’re not sure what direction they want to take MSFS (hard core simmers or keeping it as “entertainment”)

He’s not talking at all about that. Not even close. The decision they have to make one way or another is whether they want to support flight schools and other companies like aircraft manufacturers that would require bespoke work in order to be accommodated.

Simmers and casual users are not defined as two different sides of the equation here. In fact they’re clearly defined as both needing shared cockpit as a necessary feature.

The issue is “do we divert resources to support the needs of companies at this point, or we keep focusing on users (both simmers and casual users)?”

This is a commercial product. The moment it has to have some sort of “business edition” to support corporations and companies, you open a can of work that Microsoft doesn’t yet know whether they want to open. That’s all there is to it.

Also “marketing piece?” :roll_eyes: I’m very eager to see you find a number of interviews asking Jorg more actually pertinent questions that aren’t about “oh my god how did you manage to let us fly over our houses? Please tell us more about your 'maaazing technology” That’s a marketing piece.

This simply happens to ask questions on topics of interest for a big part of the community that happen not to satisfy some because apparently I didn’t ask what they personally wanted.

3 Likes

I am solely going on what he said in your piece
 and to me, it sounds like they’re not sure exactly what the plan will be in regards to the “hardcore sim vs game” route. You’re right in that it wasn’t about shared cockpits only
 That’s all I was questioning/implying. Not sure why you think I got that so wrong based on his own exact quotes? That said, thanks for clearing it up. Wasn’t trying to knock anything - just saying it’s concerning they don’t know what direction to go in, yet.

Obviously, we’re an entertainment product, but there are a lot of requests from flight schools, flight trainers, big companies that make aircraft
 They all want to use this as a training tool and so far we’ve always said that there’s work to be done in order to enable that and there are things in the way to make it something elegant beyond gaming.

And I don’t mean to knock your article - I read every single word of it. It’s great. I was responding to others who were asking why you didn’t ask “hard questions” (their words not mine) and I assumed it was because it was about marketing the Xbox launch.

Because the quote clearly puts on the two sides of the equation “entertainment product” and “flight schools, flight trainers, big companies”

And then explains that on the other side as opposed of these big companies there is both “simmers or people who are casually doing this”

The choice is pretty obviously between diverting resources to support businesses, or we keep focusing solely on users? Incidentally, he had mentioned this in passing in one of the livestreams as well.

Nah. Of course MS wants to advertise the Xbox Launch, and I’ve asked about it because it’s of interest to my readers (many of which don’t have a decent PC, and I’m happy if they get to experience fight simulation), but the focus was certainly to ask questions about topics that many people in the community want to hear more about. Me included, mind you. I can’t say what I’m personally interested in doesn’t play a role in what I ask.

I couldn’t care the less about advertising the Xbox version, to be honest. It definitely doesn’t need my help :joy:

True and fair points, again wasn’t at all knocking anything. Was just expressing a concern/question as to something he said.

I understand the concern, but honestly, I’m actually happy that they haven’t decided yet and they’re not hurrying to decide. Supporting businesses shouldn’t really be a priority now.

1 Like

Agreed on that - I want this to be the best sim it can be
 and I believe a lot of us feel the same. Hoping they will continue on making this more “study level” (I hate that term, but you get my point) vs just a casual thing.

1 Like