I know it isn't just me but I have noticed that the visual eye candy is slowly disappearing

As for the trees, my latest understanding is that low quality trees coming from photogrammetry data and high quality autogenerated 3D native MSFS trees coexist side by side in photogrammetric areas.

May I ask you just to look at the water textures alone august / today ?

This is a really weird thread. The graphics look great and the developers have even added things like improved AA, optional motion blur and cockpit refresh rate.

2 Likes

Commenters, try to read the post and replies before just being critical and ignorant. Keep an open mind that your own experience may not be the same as others.
I was really happy with the graphics on my system - much better than I expected. Got it optimised - I’m not overly fussed on FPS as long as it’s usable, I prefer the better graphics than FPS - that’s really where this sim shines.
As the OP said - the graphics have been getting worse over the updates. Settings have been checked. If your graphics are still as fantastic as they were at launch, then great, good for you. But it’s not so for some of us.
There’s really no point being on this forum if you’re going to be all fanboi and preachy and ignorant. The same goes for the opposite where people just complain all the time and have a sense of entitlement. This post is not one of those so be respectful with your replies.

5 Likes

The great looking trees are probably autogen. Sometimes they completely cover the blobby photogrammetry trees and you won‘t notice it, sometimes they don‘t and it looks bad. Another reason for the inconsistency is that the quality of Bing Maps photogrammetry varies. The best way to determine whether it‘s something on your end or simply poor source data quality is to have a look at the place in Bing Maps. If it looks as bad as in the sim, it‘s a the data. All in all I think photogrammetry is a mixed bag. Sometimes it looks great, depending on location, distance and weather conditions, sometimes it doesn’t look convincing. And I agree, draw distance is definitely an issue, whether it used to be better or not I can‘t say as I don‘t often fly in photogrammetry areas. I hope they find a way to increase it so I no longer have to look at a skyline of pyramids when approaching into Vancouver.

2 Likes

These are some great screenshots. However, it‘s hard to determine whether there has been a degradation without comparisons. I personally am not that sure. Sometimes I see washed and blurry imagery and I think that it used to look better, sometimes I have the feeling it looks as good (or even better) as in August. The same with clouds, one day they look great, the other they look grainy, with the same settings. It‘s really hard to pinpoint, since there are so many variables at play. The only way to really determine it would be comparison screenshots showing the exact same place under the exact same conditions. I‘m not saying that nothing has changed, e.g. I have a feeling that draw distance and image sharpness changed for the worse and then for the better again, but it’s just a feeling, it‘s really hard to determine without evidence, of which I have none. What I don‘t see is a clear degradation on a large scale.

1 Like

This thread could do with some thinking outside of the box :slight_smile:

Personally speaking, I haven’t seen anything that convinces me that some kind of pressure/policy from Microsoft is in play to have ASOBO undermine the PC version in favour of the xbox version. However, even if that were true, given the complexity of MSFS and the fact that ASOBO have committed themselves to a ten year development cycle, shouldn’t the question be: is there a commitment to ‘sex up’ the PC version over that time frame, given the fact that even an entry level PC will likely leapfrog the XSX in terms of power/performance just a few years from now?

1 Like

Not sure how anyone can argue with this.

Call me a home body but when the sim was released I went right to flying my home town area on the west coast of FL exclusively. Became vary familiar with how it looked. Each patch did change this and not for the better. The deal breaker for me was the “AA improvements” at which point the old ants marching effect began to show up on horizon that were present in the sims of the past.

2 Likes

It would be useful to take several shots now of this area, then compare them with what they look like after the “World Update:USA” coming soon.

If they get worse then, it would certainly be an omen for the rest of the series.

1 Like

Me neither and I don‘t think it would make much sense economically either. Potential Xbox customers won‘t think „I won‘t buy an Xbox because MSFS looks better on PC“. Basically every game looks better on a high-end PC. That doesn‘t prevent people from buying consoles. Also, why would they downgrade it after release and thereby incurring their customers’ wrath and not release a downgraded version in the first place?

1 Like

Still looks good as ever you’re just getting used to it.

2 Likes

I just wanted to know how long we will be up and running without those annoying bugs that keep coming back or getting worse in future updates. Yes, the simulator lost all its beauty and became an arcade simulator where it is better to fly outside the plane than inside.

All just conspiracy theories to suit peoples’ narrative that the sim is getting worse when it isn’t. But by constantly posting that view, people new to the sim and forums read it and start to believe they are getting ripped off somehow.

2 Likes

Not getting your post. Those pics looks pretty much identical (other than one has a plane in it :grin:)

I don’t think anyone wants to argue with you. That would not be productive. The questions is, how can we help you to prove your assertion that the graphics have got worse - not just for you but in general - so that Asobo can identify any issue?
Your post history (10 posts in total) shows 7 posts (on various threads) complaining about graphic getting worse (being dumbed down) but no pics from you. Furthermore, you wanted us to know 3 days ago that you have uninstalled the sim and cancelled your PC upgrade order. Your stated belief that nobody cares is not true. You can get help here from forum members even if your issue is due to your PC/Internet or lack of knowledge.
But how can we help you, for example, with before and after pics or otherwise. if you are not willing to contribute or co-operate?
Your post on this thread seems non-constructive or at least a waste of time.

1 Like

Oh
I agree the eye candy and scenery detail is going as I put it
SOUTH (downhill). I also said from the start this was made for the X-Box and not the PC and custom PC builders. Everything is being toned down so that it works on the X-Box, which is what Microsoft want to sell and want you to buy. Microsoft are only out for profit and control and nothing else. Look at Windows 10 it is filled to the brim with spyware and that’s why they stopped supporting the best operating system they ever produced, namely Windows 7 and has forced people who want to run MSFS2020 to use windows 10.

If this is not designed and made for the X-Box then why do I have to have the X-Box and X-Box Console apps installed on my custom built PC to get MSFS2020 to work. :-1: :angry:

Play another plane sim for 2 weeks or any game for that matter and then come back to MSFS2020 maybe you will appreciate it all over again. I personally think the Wow factor is still there but I got a RTX 3090 So I play in 4K.

5 Likes

All Microsoft Games are XBOX - either on PC or a console. Thus the reason the XBOX app and related are required on the PC. Been this way for a long time with other XBOX games on the PC; since the introduction of “apps”. Even Solitaire. :wink:

3 Likes

The absolute contrary is the case, lol. Yes, they did some weird stuff in the last patch, but the sim looks better than it ever has, since the latest update. Nothing to see here.

1 Like

Got any evidence (pics etc,)? Can we help you get that?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory. Please elaborate. Got any proof? Would seem stupid on the part of MS to try and make PC users buy an Xbox (which one?). Might however make sense for some simmers with insufficient hardware or lack of PC knowledge to buy an Xbox series X.

Sounds contradictory. If the main objective of MS is to spy on users via Windows 10, why (according to your theory) would they want to force PC users to buy an Xbox? Which Xbox model? What spyware do the Xbox models have?

So that PC users can also download and play other Xbox games without MS and PC users needing another similar app. Would be a silly duplication. The Xbox function is also needed for updates and for checking your licence validity.
Please tell us why MS should only aim the sim at PC users and not PC and Xbox users.
I think a conspiracy theory has no factual basis. Please prove me wrong in a friendly debate.

2 Likes