I landed the DC-3 like I knew what I was doing

I can’t believe it. I managed to land the DC-3 and stayed on the runway and did not do a 180 :hushed:

I had given up the DC-3, which was a bit of a disapointment, because I could not land it so I ended up on the runway.

True my takeoff left a lot to be desired but in the pased it was the landings were a complete mess.

I appreciate most of you have bigger fish to fry but I had to tell someone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, sPK

12 Likes

Hey, nice job! Your passengers thank you :slight_smile:

Ha! Congratulations! I know that feeling - I did this great thing on my computer, but if I tell my wife she’ll just shrug her shoulders. The first time I landed on the Mun in Kerbal Space Program, after so many failures, I was overjoyed but had no one to share it with.

1 Like

Try this mod and do it every time:

Also available at:
https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=243&linkid=30551

It’s a great feeling isn’t it? I’ve upgraded to the DW mod and in chats with local DC-3 pilots the overall modelling is actually right on. It’s not an easy airplane to fly by yourself and you’ll never truly master it. Keep up the good work!

What helped me most is not going all the way down to idle power. Keep air moving over the vert stab. The brakes will stop it. Only a slight power reduction after touching is needed to keep it on the ground. It’s quite easy to control this way even in a crosswind imo.

1 Like

All taildraggers need a little power to get a smooth landing. You can maybe let them drop down on all 3 at idle like a 172 on the mains(if you stall down onto them you’re going for a ride-you can three point with power), but depending on the sensitivity/reactivity of the engines, just a wee hint of power gets you from bouncing all over the place to a one-touch set down on the mains and gently reeling it in down on the tail(or keeping the tail up to get closer to a taxiway on a large airport). The fidelity of the rudder pedals and brakes makes a big difference too. Hard to fly any taildragger with TFRP’s other than the most nerfed-down ones. But even without mods, currently the DC-3 can give a beautiful landing on the mains if you find that sweet spot of set trim/touch of power/speed/brake modulation. But once you get it, you get it.

Tough to do without the SOTP help. Helps to if you keep the slightest touch of brakes when first touching down, like just the pressure of your feet being on them type of slight. Seems to cement the ‘connection’ in the sim modeling.

Trim is a very important too for flying the tail after set down-a LOT happens right at touchdown in a tail dragger. Again, you can’t just let it sog in like a Cessna aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd done, landed!, you still have to go into ‘driving when flying only a tail’ mode. Even a little Husky I’ll take off with 10% trim but land with 1 or 0, but the WACO I’ll take off with 1 and land with +20, so each plane has it’s own happy place. I can drive either down on the mains like gliding down a hill on a bike, the Shock I can drive to parking with the tail up. Take a note of the trim when you get down and you seem like you can just keep driving around on the mains.

For more limited-view aircraft like the 52, Beaver, or WACO, any fighter or the DC3, etc I use the custom views for all my views with a next/previous toggle. My ‘default’ cockpit button is custom camera 1. You can set your ‘this is my pilot’s head’ looking straight and level view as custom #1/the new ‘default’ but set one(usually the highest number of custom views so it’s one click over) to a pop-up view that helps with taxi and any quick view to check where you are(which you would know IRL). Something you can flip to and back without loosing your bearings. Kind of a SOTP view. 2/3/4+ can be cruise instrument views/closeups around the cockpit/passenger seats/etc.

Most default views are horrid enough, let alone when you are going to dance a taildragger around and the default view is 2’ too close to the panel and looking 15 degrees down. You usually need that pop-up view the instant you set the tail down unless it’s a Wilga. Get’s you lined up on the runway too. Takes a while to get them right. Quite rewarding to get the tail up on takeoff when you’re really looking at what you would really be looking at, which is often the sky with a hint of grass in the perhiprial.

2 Likes