I made an experiment with the Spitfire-Am i wrong?

So…i check wikipedia about the Spitfire and it is saying that it has a limitation of 40.000ft since it was made to also intercept high altitude bombers.
However,no matter what i do ( 26.000rpm ,supercharger at 8,fuel valve on,climb rate at 2) when it reaches 14.500 more or less,the engine starts to fail and there is no more climb for it.
I know that if you don’t do the above,it won’t even go above 12.000ft without a failure.

Various historical documentaries say that it has a climb rate of 60 minutes before the engine gets stressed.
Given my estimated altitude at 14.500 before fail,i think it took me about 10 minutes?
So…Am i doing something wrong ?
Is the model not accurate due to “X” limitations ?
Or the altimeter is not in feet but in metres and i was reading it all wrong from the start? :joy::airplane::man_shrugging:

Top of page 24 in the manual:

“Note that when climbing above 12’000ft, the fuel pressure c0ck must be switched ON. This pressurizes the fuel tank and prevents vaporization of the fuel at higher altitudes. Failure to do so will cause your engine to die at higher altitudes as it is starved of fuel.”

6 Likes

I laughed more on this as i probably should :sweat_smile: not because of the word itself, more that you actually had to censor an aviation term.

9 Likes

lol. I did not censor it, the forum did. as below. I changed it when I noticed otherwise people might be wondering what must be switched on.

Note that when climbing above 12’000ft, the fuel pressure ■■■■ must be switched ON.

3 Likes

Fuel pressure knob?

1 Like

I could swear that it is in the ON position before take off.Is that the red on the right low…right??

Yes. It doesn’t have to be on for take off, just as you approach 12,000ft.

This happened to me on my first flight in the spitfire, but I’ve not replicated it since as I always switch this on as I approach 10,000ft.

So that’s it then.
I will test it right away.
This week we had the Greek Spitfire in Greece which came from the UK restored and ready to fly while from now it stays in Greece.
I was having a blast through various scenarios and came across that ehem…problem.
Will report back.
Thank you very much

1 Like

It died at 24.000ft
a red light occured,the one next to the supercharger meter

EDIT
Am i wrong or is it indeed 23.000?

by the way,i tried to fly in Miami due to live time being day there,and it was a slide show !! i couldn’t fly at all

Please keep posts on-topic. Thank you.

Think with your Flight Deck Jimmy! :sweat_smile:

You are at 13000. See that little needle between the 1 and 2

Yes i did it but again the engine backed down then at 14.000ft
what about the red light ?

you sure? cause in your picture its off. And if it’s off the engine will die at 14000

:joy::joy: OMG !! I don’t even remember now if i closed it again just before the photo,just to see what happens.
I will try again.
But how can this thing go to 40.000ft when it barely reaches 14000 in so long?

That I dont know. I cruising now around 30000 but its not happy about it lol The oil temp is high, rad is high. engine going in and out

1 Like

By any chance did you escape to the main menu?

When you do that and then resume there seems to be a bug whereby you loose engine power and in the case of the spit the red fuel pressure ■■■■ switches itself off.

This has just happened to me at almost 20,000ft. I went to main menu to enable Dev mode to switch liveries and on returning to the sim the engine was beginning to cut out because the fuel pressure was off.

Well…as it seems,the answer is simple. I AM AN @@ as it seems.
I was reading the fuel knob WRONG ! ALL ALONG !
It was off while i thought it was on :man_facepalming:
The plane climbs just fine now

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Forum is awesome !

Had the same issue with Miami a couple of nights ago. Spent an hour flying towards it to meet up with some fellow Heli flyers and as i got there the sim turned to a stuttering, low FPS hellhole.