I need some help with a Carenado gauge repaint please

Hi my friends,

I have corrected the EDM800 gauge texture inside the Carenado M20 Ovation cockpit because parts of the text are cut off on the lower side of the gauge:

I made this new texture, exchanged it in the Carenado gauges folder F:\Flight Simulator 2020\Official\OneStore\carenado-aircraft-m20r-ovation\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado_M20R_Ovation\panel\GAUGE_M20R
…but my new gauge is not showing up inside the cockpit!

Here it is:
Gauge_EDM800_BG

Here is the uncompressed original file I use:
Gauge-EDM800-BG
screenshot url online

What did I do wrong, why is the new gauge not showing up inside the cockpit?

Thanks for the tips and a nice week to you all :slight_smile:

edit:
Ah it´s because of layout.json and manifest.json, They need to be actualized but the GitHub tool MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe to actualize the layout.json does not seem to work for some reason.

If you just replace a file, you shouldn’t really need to update the layout/manifest. The sim is quite tolerant as long as the file is contained in the layout.json (which it is if you’re replacing it).

Don’t have any Carenado aircraft, but in some cases there are multiple textures, Albedo etc. did you check if there is any that contains the gauge as well?

I use the layout generator frequently and it works for me. Just drag&drop the layout.json onto the exe and it scans the contents and creates a new layout file by overwriting the old one.

Hello,
Discussions on gauge modification, etc. should go in the SDK category. I moved your post there.

1 Like

We’re going to need a heck of a lot more information than you are giving us to help you.
As @Coppersens said, it should not have needed a new Layout.json assuming you named it the same and it’s converted to dds format properly

What do you mean by “It’s not showing up”?
Is the original file still showing? Is it blank now?
If the original file is still showing, you didn’t replace the correct file.

It’s possible the picture for this gauge is actually in the instrument panel and not the file you are replacing… What file are you replacing and where is it?

What did you use as a DDS converter from your PNG or JPG file? (I like paint.net)
What format did you use?

Have you looked in the internal textures to make sure the texture isn’t in one of those files? Maybe that’s the file you are talking about that you modified? Maybe you replaced the texture used by the external view, but not the internal view?

Hi,

there is only one file for this gauge in the Carenado folder, it is this simple .bmp bitmap file:

And even after fixing the texture the original buggy-looking gauge with the misplaced EDM and the half-hidden is still showing up inside the cockpit:

I had a similar problem with a Cessna Citation, I tried changing the textures for the cabin seats of a special Citation interior livery:

After trying to implement JayDee´s beige leather seats into the cabin for an hour into this livery and not understanding whe the new seat texture never showed up for unknown reasons… I did some googling how to repaint planes.

I found out all these problems are caused by a file named “layout.json” (and the necessary tool to change that, MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe from GitHub - is for unknown reasons not functioning on my computer which prevents any my new textures and bugfixes showing up.)

That´s why I cannot change huge parts of the Mooneye interior either, because there are always two problems:

1.) every second texture file I try to open with Photoshop, Gimp, or whatever program gives an “Unsupported DXGI format (98)” with Gimp and “Could not complete your request because this is not the right kind of document” (Photoshop CS15)

2.) almost all of my changes never shop up in the actual plane because of this stupid layout.json file I cannot update because MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe is not functioning for unknown reasons.

I can only sometimes download an already modified livery from another livery painter and enhance it further, like I did with the Carenado main panel - but I cannot change any of the textures by myself that were not already “prepared” to be repainted by some other modder / or are already repainted and therefore sometimes show up ingame after modifying the texture.

Well… of someone wants my enhanced EDM-gauge keep it and have fun with it, I give up on repainting FS20 because unlike FSX where every single texture and gauge worked flawless I cannot repaint anymore because of this stupid layout.json file every plane has in it´s main folder and the layoutgenerator.exe not functioning properly on my machine…

Here is the main panel file - modifying that worked for some reason, everything else (all other files including the seats etc.) don´t work because of layout.json file.
I added some minor wear´s and tear´s to the main panel and new matte foot rests…

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14659701/ALMVEO_INT1_ALB.PNG.DDS.html

Then again, you might also want to check out texture.base\gauges_1_alb.png.dds

Layout.json is not stupid, and doesn’t have anything to do with your problems repainting. It does need to be correct and list all the files that are needed by the package, but it doesn’t look like it’s your problem here to me.

2 Likes

Heeey fantastic thank you very much for this tip!
You are the saviour of the M20!

I will test it immediately!

edit:

PERFECT it works flawless now :smiley:

Thank you so much for helping me out with the instrument panel!
And tonight I will do some other details inside this fine aircraft like Mooney logos on the seat leather and more little unobtrusive but realistic wears and tears on the door and armrest.

2 Likes