I9 13900K or Ryzen 7 7800x3d

I’m planning in upgrading/building a new pc with a rtx 4090 and I can’t decide whether to go with a i9 13900k or a ryzen 7 7800x3d. The 7800x3d seems to perform better than the 13900k in stock msfs due to it having more cache than the 13900k. I haven’t seen a good comparison between the two when it comes to running msfs with multiple addons and other programs running in the background such as GSX, navigraph, vPilot, Volanta and more. I also know that the fenix a320 has programs running in the background that use more than 1 core. Because some addons and programs use more than 1-3 cores I was wondering if that would effect the performance of the 7800x3d in a negative way because of the lower core count, and that maybe the 13900k would be a better option in that case.

Im not planning on using vr and I’m running at 2560x1440 resolution.

Any help is appreciated.

To misquote the common business saying for a flight sim context: Cache is king.

The instant you start to add complex scenery, AI traffic, GSX objects, you want that data to be accessed faster and with larger cache, the Ryzen CPU wins.

You can always move some of the apps onto other cores to stop them competing with MSFS on its preferred core.

It seems that the 7800X3D is generally faster when paired with DDR5-6000 CL30 memory versus the 13900K using DDR5-7200. … For those of you purely interested in high-end gaming performance, the 7800X3D is undoubtedly a much better value option, and it also consumes significantly less power.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2716-ryzen-7800x3d-vs-core-i9-13900k/

Also, watch for MSFS-specific comparison benchmarking between the two CPUs from 7:00 here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5qTUKpEvik

Thanks for the quick reply!

So the 7800x3d seems to be the better option if I’m not mistaken. I was also considering the ryzen 9 7950x3d but as far as I know it’s not worth the extra cost and apparently performs worse in some cases. I just want to be sure the lower core count isn’t going to be a problem when multitasking with msfs open. For example having navigraph and other programs open on a separate screen while flying. Even at more demanding sceneries with the fenix a320 and pmdg 737.

You can get stuck with decision paralysis.

Just pick a Ryzen 7000-series X3D CPU. If you don’t like it, sell it and buy a different one.

Here are some thoughts on the 7800X3D vs. 7900 and 7950X3D CPUs.

Taken from this thread:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/planning-on-buying-7800x3d-for-msfs-consider-the-7900x3d/585122/26

There was a review from Mark at SimHanger on these two platforms in flight sims. Might give you some insight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5qTUKpEvik

Unless you are using multicore-optimized productivity apps (e.g. video processing) go for 7800x3D. I’m using it with 4090 and Pimiax Crystal VT headset, which requires very high resultion, utilizing the GPU to 100%. The CPU is rarely utilized above 40% (I’m CPU bound, even with the strongest available GPU), so plenty of CPU power remaining for running add ons.

Sounds great! I’m definitely going with AMD for this upgrade. How does the 7800x3d perform when it comes to stutters and microstutters? I’m still unsure whether to get a 7800x3d or 7900x3d since some Benchmark results show the 7900x3d has both better average fps and better 1% and 0.1% lows. Both seem to be pretty close anyway, but since I care more about not having any stutters or microstutters than higher max fps I’d like to be sure.

7800x3D has all the cores connected to 3D cache, so it’s easier to manage in MSFS, you will not need to use Windows function disabling the non-3D cache cores when simming. 7900x3D and 7950x3D will be probably slightly better for multicore-optimized productivity apps, I don’t think you will not notice any advantages of them vs. 7800x3D.
Since my upgrade to 7800x3D and 4090 I don’t suffer any noticeable stutters or micro-stutters.

I’m going to build my new PC next week. My main PC usage will be Flight Simulator 2020. I’m totally convinced 7800x3d is the winner.
But, it’s not just the FS itself, I need to keep running the EFB, VATSIM/IVAO, FSLTL traffic in parallel with fs2020 on my second screen.

I saw a post in reddit that a 7800x3d owner was saying, although it’s faster and cooler than 13700k/14700k, but just by clicking on his 2nd monitor he is loosing 50% of his FPS!
(I already asked this question on reddit, no response yet.)

Any advice for my case?
As I mentioned, I need to run at least 3 other apps in parallel with my Flight Simulator and even sometimes watch YouTube or web browsing during a long flights.

I’m still deciding between 7800x3d and 7950x3d. The problem is that results seem to vary quite alot depending on the use case. I’ve seen a couple videos on youtube showing 7800x3d + rtx 4090 performance at places like Heathrow and JFK in the fenix a320 with what looks like Volanta and a few other programs running in the background. It seems to perform fine and fps numbers are good but it may just be me but I can’t help notice the microstutters and a few bigger stutters. Since I’ve not seen a direct side by side comparison between the 7800x3d and 7950x3d, there is no way of telling if its because of the 7800x3d. MSFS is also quite stutterprone so there’s that. There was one user on this forum that had done a direct comparison between the two cpus and according to him the 7950x3d performed better and was noticably smoother when it came to running msfs with heavy scenery, addons and background apps. He said the fps was more or less identical, but he noticed the 1% lows were better on the 7950x3d in his case. He also recommended the 7950x3d for those that fly alot of airliners and want to have other programs running in the background and for example watch youtube while flying. I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to be sure is to find out myself. Thats why I’m probably going to get the 7950x3d. It’s very expensive yes but rather buy it and sell it if it’s not any good and get the 7800x3d. I doubt that is going to be the case though.

I remember reading a post where someone claimed they lost 50% fps when switching task to another monitor. I think that might be because frame generation works that way. Frame generation won’t work unless msfs is the task in focus. Therefore, if you click on another monitor while msfs is running it will show a decrease in fps since frame generation won’t work.

5800X3D
RTX 3090 Ti

I’m one of those increasingly rare guys who tends to accept the myriad of imperfections in this sim, i.e. poor performance while landing at KLAX, occasional microstutters when panning around, imperfect clouds, a horizon line I have to strain to see, atmospheric dynamics that aren’t 100% perfect, etc.

That’s not to say I don’t try to optimize my computer’s performance - I certainly do tweak things a fair bit, and am happy to report that I think my flight experience is pretty darn good. But perfect?

Are there people out there with systems that NEVER experience any problems, or notice any deficiencies? Sure. But at a certain point I believe it’s all too easy to throw money at this sim, hoping for perfection that is rarely (if ever) truly attainable. You can only increase FPS and decrease latency so much. After that, increasing the load on the CPU and GPU (especially the former) is chasing minimal visual and performance gains within the framework of the base code.

Spend your money wisely, accept that we aren’t flying in a perfect world, and I think you’ll be happy.

3 Likes