Icing in the 208 - how to best handle without PIREPs?

I encountered icing enroute from MSP to BRD at FL80 (see images), which I didn’t notice until the windshield started icing up. I turned on all de-icing I could locate on the 208, but as you’ll note, still some ice build up on the prop, cargo pod and the tail.
I didn’t have any PIREPS or other advisory data in FS to try and figure out what altitude to ask for to avoid the icing. So a couple of questions:

1. Is there anything in game that will give you icing data? I turned on the nextrad, and saw a couple of colored boxes on the screen, but no legend to tell if they were some sort of advisory or not.
  2. Without any advisory or PIREP data, is there a general rule of thumb about whether to fly higher or lower to get out of icing (keeping in mind I was only at FL80 at this point)?

I believe there’s an Outside Air Temp (OAT) reading on the PFD. Descend until that’s at least 10°C above zero. I don’t know how the fluid de-icing system is modeled, but in the real world, you need to be aware of the quantity so that you don’t run out before you reach either dry or warm air.

1 Like

The 208 with the appropriate de-icing equipment is certified for flights in known icing conditions and the endurance in icing conditions is 3.5hrs.

So while you will loose performance (the inertial separator must be on and not turned off again until after landing), it’s ok to continue in the present icing conditions.

1 Like

In fs, if you fly through any cloud or precip with temperatures below 0 you will pick up icing. I see you have cloud below you in those images. Try climbing through gaps in clouds to avoid icing and use the tips provided by @PZL104

2 Likes

Thank you all. Your responses are much appreciated!

From the real life 208 POH, obv ATC in this sim isn’t going to be helpful regarding what level to descend. here is also the checklist to follow.

During flight, severe icing conditions that exceed those for which the
airplane is certificated shall be determined by the following visual cues.
If one or more of these visual cues exists, immediately request priority
handling from Air Traffic Control to facilitate a route or an altitude
change to exit the icing conditions.

1. Unusually extensive ice is accreted on the airframe in areas not
    normally observed to collect ice.
  2. Accumulation of ice on the upper or lower surface of the wing aft
    of the protected area.
  3. Heavy ice accumulations on the windshield, or when ice forms aft
    of the curved sections on the windshield.
  4. Ice forms aft of the protected surfaces of the wing struts.

INADVERTENT ICING ENCOUNTER

1. IGNITION Switch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
  2. INERTIAL SEPARATOR. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . BYPASS
  3. PITOT/STATIC HEAT Switch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
  4. STALL HEAT Switch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
  5. PROP HEAT Switch (if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO
    IF ABOVE 20,000 FEET:
  6. Airspeed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 160 KIAS MAX
  7. Altitude . . . . . . . . . . DESCEND TO 20,000 FEET OR BELOW
    (as soon as practical)
    Turn back or change altitude to obtain an outside air temperature that
    is less conducive to icing.
  8. IGNITION Switch. . . . . . . . . . . OFF (after 5 minutes operation)
  9. BLEED AIR HEAT Switch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ON
  10. TEMP Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ADJUST
    Push FWD CABIN HEAT control full in and pull defrost control full out to
    obtain maximum windshield defroster effectiveness.
  11. PROP RPM Lever . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1900 RPM
    (to minimize ice build-up)

NOTE
If BYPASS is used at any point during flight or aircraft
operation due to suspected or actual icing conditions, do
not return it to NORMAL until the separator has been
visually inspected and verified that the separator and its
door are free of ice and water.

CAUTION
If excessive vibration is noted, momentarily reduce
propeller RPM to 1600 with the PROP RPM Lever, then
rapidly move the control full forward. Cycling the RPM
flexes the propeller blades and high RPM increases
centrifugal force, causing ice to shed more readily.
If icing conditions are unavoidable, plan a landing at the nearest airport.
With an extremely rapid ice build-up, select a suitable off airport landing
site.

With an ice accumulation of 1/4 inch or more on the wing leading
edges, be prepared for a significantly higher power requirement,
approach speed, stall speed, and longer landing roll.
If necessary, set up a forward slip for visibility through the left portion of
the windshield during the landing approach.
Use approach speed of 120 KIAS with flaps at 20°. With ice suspected
on the airframe, or operating at 5°C (41°F) or less in visible moisture,
do not extend flaps beyond 20° for landing.
12. Landing Distance . . . . . MULTIPLY POH/AFM DISTANCE BY:
2.2 - FLAPS UP
2.1 - FLAPS 10°
13. Minimum Approach Airspeed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AT OR ABOVE:
120 KIAS - Flaps UP
110 KIAS - Flaps 10°

2 Likes

Figured Id chime in with the icing discussion.

A few quick notes:

1. Icing comes from super cooled liquid droplets. These can come from the fine “mist” that makes up a cloud, or fog, or rain. Snow typically doesnt in of itself produce airframe icing as it is already frozen.
  2. The liquid droplets that form Ice must be at 0C or below. However!, at temperatures 5C-10C (aircraft type dependant) you may get Ice. Why? Because the airflow over a lifting surface cools due to the drop in pressure. This is why it is possible to get ice at say 2C in a cloud. Especially on a big fat wing!
  3. Avoidance: If you are flying in visible moisture (clouds, rain, wet snow, mist) and the temperature is below 5C (pretty standard), be on the lookout for Ice. It can be insidious. Sometimes descent is the best choice (unless there is a temp inversion). Sometimes climbing is a better choice, get above the weather. Or if the temp is too cold you will not get Ice or a trace Ice (I dont know if this is simulated). Good preflight planning can help you avoid Ice, but weather changes enroute can and does throw your planning off. Just make solid EARLY decisions in exit/ avoidance and you will be fine.

I hope this clarifies things a bit

The way the game handles icing needs some work. I hit an icing layer in the 208 on a flight today. I had indicated airspeed loss, stall notifications and visible icing on the airframe which is all normal. I have a button on my stream deck that shows me percent iced and it said 45%. As soon as I flipped on my de ice switches, that number dropped to 0 and everything was back to normal instantly.

I certainly agree. There are times that I have iced up just sitting on the ground and no visible moisture. So I couldnt take off.

In some turboprop aircraft (like the Dash 8 I used to fly) they have what are called ‘hot switches’. In the Dash we called them the hot 5 (Pitot, stall, horn, windscreen to warm, valve). These were on all the time the condition levers were at max (props unfeathered). So when you are flying all the time turn on all the anti Ice that isnt the wings or props (and windscreen depending on some types). That way you just monitor the wings and when you enter Icing conditions you turn on the rest.

Disclaimer note: always follow what the manufacturer or company manual recommends. But in MSFS 2020 do what you think is best lol

This is also not modeled very well at all. I read a thread (maybe here?) about icing and how it’s WAY overdone in the sim here. Most icing is very moderate with only a light amount. But in MSFS, if you fly through the lightest of clouds you’ll ice up as if you’ve flown thru a sleet storm.

Also: even if you have icing set to “Visual Only”, you’ll drop right out of the sky if you ice up. It’s completely broken there.

One of the worst icing encounters I’ve experienced was in a CRJ when we were descending through a thin cloud layer where we could even see the faint city lights below.

The thick clear ice on the winglets was still there after we had parked our aircraft 20min later.

I’m sure there’s always going to be stories about how bad icing was. But everything I’m reading about it points to something like you mention is rare and not the norm as MSFS seems to suggest.

Does it happen? Sure. But it’s way overdone in the sim and needs to be scaled back.

1 Like