Ideal PC Requirements for Ultra Settings

Here is what I am able to get from CyberPowerPC, and once all discounts and codes are applied it’s $2,450. Does this look reasonable as a PC that could run this game on ultra settings and last me for quite a while?

Core spec seems fine.

My only concern is the RAM config: 4x8GB @ 4000MHz is basically not going to work at XMP on Alderlake - that requires 2 sticks per channel at a memory controller frequency of 2000Mhz (very rare for an alder lake CPU to be happy with memory controller at 2000Mhz) for Gear 1, or 1000Mhz for Gear 2 with some performance detriment. It will likely be configured in Gear 2 if they’re applying XMP at the factory, so you’re not getting the performance benefits of the headline speed there. It could be manually tuned but manual Memory OC is not for the uninitiated and is a time consuming and frustrating process.

I’d swap that to 3600Mhz CL16 RAM, 2x16GB Sticks, if at all possible, for the same performance, but less cost and higher chance of fit-and-forget stability. If it costs more, well they’re using some cheap 4000MHz RAM with likely poor timings, so it’s an upgrade anyway.

Well shoot, I actually already ordered the PC because the sale I was utilizing ended yesterday. Do you think it’ll still run with that memory, I just won’t get the full benefit of it? If so, I’ll just leave it and call it good. You think it should still perform at least the same as the 3600mhz option would?

Yes, and so long as it’s reasonable 4000Mhz RAM, yo ucan tune it.

1. See how it comes configured. If you’re happy, run it.

2. If you’re not happy, tweaking time: you can use XMP to crib most settings, then just wind back speed (3600MHz, Memory controller at 1800Mhz, as a starter for 10) to get the best performance in gear 1 mode.

3. how deep does the rabbit warren go? You can then explore tightened timings etc, but be aware this is not for the faint hearted, and it’s time consuming. I’d suggest somewhere option 1 or 2 is your best landing spot.

I’m sure it’ll be a great PC for you.

Ok cool, and I mean if anything I can always just change the RAM sticks out myself right? Like if for whatever reason it’s just not performing like I think it should, and I don’t want to try tweaking/tuning as you stated, I could just buy 2 16GB sticks of 3600Mhz CL 16 and install them?

Also, I just looked and I see that 2 16GB sticks of 3600 weren’t even an option when I was building it, it showed them as sold out. That must be another reason I just went ahead and opted for the 4000Mhz as well.

I was half tempted to just cancel this order and go back in and build one out using the i9-12900K and use DDR5 RAM and max out the size and speed. I think it would’ve been just a few hundred dollars more (once you’ve spent the money it becomes easy to go back and say "ah, what’s a few hundred dollars more hahaha). But I think, from what I gathered from your videos, it would then be my 3080 Ti card that would hold me back if I did that correct? In other words, it would be pointless to do that unless I upgraded to a 3090 series card, and then it starts getting into the thousands and at that point…nope.

Thanks again for all your help!

It sounds like you made sensible choices. You absolutely could swap the ram out, but in all honesty you’d be as well just ‘downclocking’ the ram you have, for gear 1 - or, to be honest, leaving it alone. FOr the same reasons as the i9 isn’t really ‘sensible’ - the GPU becomes the limiting factor and so long as the base system has a good baseline of performance (yours will do) you’re all good.

Sweet. Thanks again, amazing information and assistance…subbed to your YouTube channel as well :+1:

I run at 4K ultra on 32" monitor and have a 3080ti. Still rarely get 60 fps. Usually 40s-50s, but the scenery is stunning at that resolution. I’m considering the 4070ti (old 4080 12 gb) when they come out to get to 60 fps locked. Much of the time 50 fps is fine, but in a tight turn with complex scenery it gets jumpy.

Quite frankly, MSFS does best with lots of vram so for that reason alone I would not consider a new video card with less than 16 gig of vram. With the 4070ti w/12 gig vram (if it ever gets released) you’ll be paying a premium price for not that much improvement.

1 Like

Hi Oaksleet 3248724
The price for your list seems rather high to me. I recently purchased components for a new PC from Newegg that are very similar to yours:

• Intel Core i7-12700K
  • bequiet! Pure Loop 240 for the CPU
  • MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR5 LGA 1700
  • Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (2x16 GB) 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40 KF552C40BBK2-32
  • Western Digital WD_BLACK SN770 M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen4 WDS100T3X0E
  • bequiet! Pure Base 500DX (17.7D X 9.1W X 18.3H, 3x140 fans)
  • Enermax Revolution DF 850W 850 PLUS Gold (6.3D x 5.9W X 3.4H)

That lot cost me $1,195
I also purchased a 4TB HHD for archive & other non FS2020 data for $80.
I’ve read posts pointing out that your DDR4 memory is better than my DDR5, and it should be less expensive too - which is one reason I think your total price is high.

I held off on purchasing the GPU - prices were too high at the time, but see Egghead has a PNY GeForce RTX 3070 GDDR6X for $400. Perhaps a bit underpowered for FS2020, but I’m not replacing my 1080p monitors so a RTX 3080 Ti would be overkill for me, I think. At that to the $1,195 gives $1,600 - so your price is $1,000 more, with what should be less expensive memory.

A bit off topic, but all my current games, including FSX & the old Microsoft Flight, run with maxed-out settings just fine on the onboard Intel UHD 770. The CPUs are in no-way stressed, though I have yet to see how it handles FS2020 - I have to get high-speed internet before I can purchase & run it.

Hope this is of help,
Jon
Edit: Oops - forgot to mention: I built this out myself, so no build-out fee in the price above.

Beautiful machine!

My best idea for ideal pc requirements for ultra settings
For a mb check if it has about 48 pci e lanes and there are at least 2 pci e slots that can run on 16x pci e, in case you expand with 2nd graphics card and also to have widest data bandwith possible
and min 32gb mem
For psu 1200 watts
Plenty of cooling fans
Cpu i would say one that can handle also 48 pci e lanes
Example i use x299 mb and two 3060 ti same brand.
and multiple screens
Now i can run all on ultra but set texture resolution on medium
Or i can set texture resolution on ultra and make trade of by setting others to either high or medium and shadow related to ultra
But what ever you do texture resolution for me is key setting.