Ideal PC Requirements for Ultra Settings

Hello everybody,
where I can find the ideal system requirements.?
I want to renew my cockpit that is 7 years old!.
Thanks.
CC

At what resolution, and what are your requirements concerning framerate?
The answer depends a whole lot upon that.
If you want a higher framerate for a multi-monitor 1440p/4K or VR setup, there’s no real limit. The best possible CPUs and GPUs will still struggle.
For a single-monitor at 1440p or lower, especially if your goal is 30 fps, you can get by with a lot less.

i GUESS WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS BUT HORSEPOWER AND AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET IS KEY.

i BUILT MY PC with flight sim to be it’s main task and it has performed as I hoped. I’ll put my specs here, but instead of the 5800X, and if I were building it today would substitue the new 5800X 3D chip in place of mine. \\the rest allows me to run pretty much maxed out and is smooth and visually as I hoped for.

I have the following:

AMD Ryzen 5800X ( as I mentioned)
32GB of Corsair Vengence DDR4
Arctic Liquid AIO
Gigabyte 2TB NVME whcih is dedicated to the simulation
Nvidia 3080 TI GPU
Motherboards are users choice I guess but I run a Gigabyte Aourus Master
I felt no need to replace my case as the NZXT I’m using has lots of room for airflow, but a good case can be personal choice too.
Windows 11 Pro
I have 3 screens but once again, personal choice
Main screen is 32" Benq curved gaming and was great value.

\i run in 1440P and it looks and responds well.

I think the CPU and GPU are all important and my system is still top notch performer today, although I’d like to upgrade to a 4K screen at some point.

I hope this at least gives an idea of the kind of hardware required to really take advantage of those high settings.

\\\i won’t list my controls, pedals etc, but will do if you’d like me to.

It isn’t cheap, but hoping my system will last a good 2 years yet, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

\hope this helps give an idea at least.

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, very usefull informations.
I currently have a NVIDIA GTX1070 and a Processore Intel(R) Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4201 Mhz, 4 core, 8 processori logici, 4 32" screens.
A full set of logitech insruments panels and about 10 leobodnar cards that manage more thant 300 buttons and switches…
Till now it was quite good also in ULTRA configurations but when i fly over cities the frame rate drops significantly… time to renew!!

1 Like

I just upgraded to 12900K from a 7940X. It went pretty smooth. I also have a GTX1080 running 1440 .
I was trying to decide which to upgrade first and I am glad I did the CPU first. Now I can run everything on ultra with vsync locked at 30. I do not use motion blur. The only thing I adjust is the Terrain slider. As I start getting over 300 it gets a little shaky in the denser areas. At 200 it is perfect everywhere.

I am also now able to use a second monitor using the on chip graphics with no effect on the main screen.

For me it was worth it. I just had to disable the budget function in my brain for a short time to make it happen.

2 Likes

I’ve seen conflicting info on the 5800X 3D. I think the clock is a little slower and not overclockable. But I’d love to see a benchmark between the two for the sim.

I was ready for a Ryzen 9 but it didn’t seem like anything over the 5800X on AMD or the Intel side made it seem worth additional costs.

Might change when MSFS gets multi-threaded optimizations?

Hi, I just ordered this PC … 3800€ in italy (3400$)
What do you think? it would be cheaper in your country?
Case
ANTEC P7 NEO CABINET

Tecnoware - Gaming PSU 850W

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240

Intel CoreI7 BX8071512700K

Asus ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI

Kingston FURY Beast 6000 32GB

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming 12 GB

SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4

2 Likes

Jealous. . . . . .

no such thing as ideal yet. people with 12900k and 3090’s are able to run it stutter free.

the sim needs to be optimized then we will really know.

It sounds like these two sentences are contradicting each other.

Hahaha i didn’t even notice.

I meant to say aren’t even able to run it stutter free.

This is definitely not true. But people need to know how to make sure they’re not limited by main thread.

1 Like

It most definitely is true. That’s obvious not being main thread limited. We shouldn’t be in this position with a 12900k in the first place…

It will be very strong. I have basically that set up, 12700K, RTX 3080ti, 32GB RAM (mines DDR5 6000Mhz but DDR4 3600MHz actually out performs it). It runs absolutely smooth at 3440x1440p Ultrawide, 60FPS locked, all ultra settings. Also does very well in VR on a Quest 2.

It will still struggle to maintain 60FPS in heavy aircraft in complex environments, just the limitation of that single threaded nature of Flight sim 2020.

I’ve extensively benchmarked most current hardware in FS2020, the 12700K is absolutely the best price/performance out there (Well, apart from the i3-12100 which does incredibly well for a $100 part). The 12900K is not ‘sensible’ for this sim - you’re paying $200 for 5MB L3 Cache and a 1-200MHz clock boost. 2-3% performance boost when not GPU limited at best. The 5600X and 5800X also do well.

2 Likes

I think you’ve nailed it. It’s going to be a toss up if the 92MB Cache is of more utility than the additional ~200MHz clockspeed on the vanilla 5800X. In my reckoning it’ll be pretty much the same, or else such a marginal difference as not to be worth it. Games do generally like more Cache, but there has to be a limit as to how much is beneficial. Who knows until we see in depth testing! (edit - looks like it’s a pretty big bump, the 5800X3D may be the current best CPU for FS2020 - but we still need to see rigorous testing).

The 5800X is still a strong CPU for FS2020 But the 5900X and 5950X really have nothing to offer. an entire CCD sits idle.

And… I don’t think we’re going to see some ground up optimisation of the engine to make it more multithreaded. It’s no trivial task, and once again MS/Asobo have relied on hardware just getting that much better. Splitting the engine apart is a fundamental re-write of a now 20 year old engine, and getting threads talking to each other with perfect timing and no latency issues is no trivial task either.

I’ve read rumors on hear about CPU optimizations. If they truly were coming I’d have perhaps made a different CPU choice.

What I’ve seen so far is the 5800X has a slight edge in single thread and the 5800X has a slight edge in multi-core.

While being in software myself, I have no idea if things like weather, AI, etc. could all offload to different cores for optimization. I’ve done multi-threaded coding and it’s definitely not trivial.

1 Like

This is great information and right along the lines of what I’m looking for! I’m currently building a PC to try and run MSFS 2020 on ultra settings on my 49" Samsung Odyssey G9 ultrawide monitor (sounds similar to what you’re running).

I also read the same thing about the 12700K being plenty of CPU for this game, and that the 12900K is just overkill. Also read the same thing in regards to the RAM. I watched a YouTube video by PremiumBuilds where he tested all of that in MSFS and seems to check out.

Right now I’m working on building out a PC on CyberPowerPC.com and I’m able to get the specs below for about $2800 built and shipped, do you think that is a good deal? When I piece it all out (including the liquid coolers, power supply, case, etc that come with the CyberPower build) it comes to around $2600. Seems worth the extra $200 to have someone build it so I don’t screw it up.

• Intel i7-12700K CPU
  • Z690 motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM (upgrades for this on the site are very cheap, but like you said I’ve seen a couple instances where this RAM outperforms most others)
  • 1TB SSD
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti
  • Liquid cooled, nice case, 850 watt power supply, etc

Even if you go top spec still i see people having issues man.you will be disappointed spending like £2000 and over to still have issues im running 6th gen 6200…16g ram ssd 2 tb gtx 1070 8 gig sc2 graphics card and mines running nice and smooth getting 45fps im having less problems than some high spec and mines a £500 pc box :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hands up, the Premium builds video is me! So that’s not a second source corroborating my info!!

Your system seems great, it’s very similar to mine and I get great performance (when the sim doesn’t crash - sadly I’ve been hit by CTD’s on my main rig/install but these are software, not hardware related)

RAM speed, CPU choice and GPU all seem well optimised. There’s no point going beyond the 3080Ti - you can’t use more VRAM, and you’re well past diminishing returns with a 3090/3090Ti.

1 Like

No way!!! Hahahahaha, well nothing better than getting it from the source I guess! That was a very helpful video BTW. I think I will probably head in that direction then.