If devs can't but modders can

I personally wholeheartedly agree with the premise of this topic. I think Asobo should focus exclusively on the core simulator until 90% of the major issues are removed, and then work to make the sim as open and as moddable as possible. Only when this is accomplished should they work on world updates and whatnot, in my opinion. (Yes, I do realize a texture designer cannot work effectively as a C++ core engine programmer, but you can hire a C++ core engine programmer instead of a texture designer.)

FSX is a prime example of this. The developers left FSX in a state which allowed quite a lot of freedom for third party developers, and they were able to extend FSX’s life way beyond anything that could have reasonably been expected. This is part of the reason why I initially started this topic, in the hopes that Asobo would benefit greatly from having input from a third party developer that has been elbow deep in simulator innards for over 20 years now. Had the simulator been more open to the modding community, we would have had better weather, better aircraft, better avionics, better everything. I am 100% certain of that.

2 Likes