If thunder and lightning ever return to live weather, make lightning flash frequency configurable to reduce eye strain and seizures

I want thunder and lightning, but I play the sim at night a lot and I might not necessarily want to see a lot of lightning flashes. Please make lightning flash frequency adjustable and perhaps even an option to disable it completely (while keeping the thunder).

I’ve seen lightning with live weather on recently. The hurricane that passed over Mexico a week ago had plenty.

2 Likes

I was being sarcastic. I saw people that say lightning and thunder exists, but I haven’t seen any since a few sim updates now. Not even when flying through the thunderstorm capitals of the world.

3 Likes

You may find this thread gets closed down if its not a serious Wishlist topic.

1 Like

Then it would be closed in error, because my wish about lightning flashes being configurable is serious.

3 Likes

Ah, then my apologies. When you said you were being sarcastic I assumed the entire post.

2 Likes

I’ve seen lightning flashes recently. But they are now coming from the instrument panel of the plane and going out into the sky. Just another thing Asobo messed up.

So surprised people aren’t voting on this thread. Pre SU5 days, lightning was always in the sim and it made flying over/through storms much better. Why it’s completely gone from Live Weather is beyond my comprehension.

3 Likes

Lightning isn’t gone. It just doesn’t happen nearly as much as it should. You’ll see it a lot in SE Asia in storms.

It was over the top before, showing even when nowhere near me, and once or twice inside the cockpit, which was alarming. :smile:

But I have seen it since, you only need to use any online weather service, and spawn in the vicinity of thunderstorms.

I’ve yet to see a single flash in live weather anywhere over the United States in at least 1.5 years. :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m speaking about using MSFS’s live weather… I haven’t seen lightning in any storm I’ve flown over in at least a year or year and a half. I know others agree per other threads. There was definitely a time it was lightning too much or even when no storms were present, but I just wish they’d fix/improve it, particularly over the USA

2 Likes

I’ve been on it since day 1. I remember those days. You don’t see it nearly as much in storms in the continental USA if at all. Trust me, go to to SE Asia. You’ll see it there. It’s almost as if the location needs to be somewhat tropical for it to trigger.

1 Like

I’m off the west coast of Africa now near Sao Tome. There’s impressive cloud to ground lightning going on right now. Here.

1 Like

Cannot remember the last time I saw lightning in a storm in the US in MSFS.

2 Likes

Maybe FS2024 can receive real-time lightning strike data.
A free app on my phone gets it.