ILS approach from opposite end of runway?

When approaching Manchester EGCC on selecting one of the 3 available ILS approaches the layout of the approach is to track directly overhead the runway in the opposite direction before doing a slight left then a 180 degree turn and onto the glideslope. Looking at the real life charts this is pretty much correct.

In reality this obviously never happens, aircraft join the approach further along the path.

My question is how would you make a flight plan that delivers you at the right end of the ILS approach for the assigned runway? I know that once given a runway instruction you could manually make your way to that approach but surely there is a way of using the FMC to route in a sensible way that doesn’t involve arriving directly overhead and backtracking along the runway?

Appreciate I could have misunderstood it all but any help would be great!

I only find it at ILS 05R.
It is a Navigraph Chart
You choose in FMC not the ILS Appr and only the freq.
Then use a waypoint/STAR&Transition which is in the near of ILS beginning or ends where the ILS Starts

1 Like

You say in reality this never happens.

It happens all the time. The chart shows that you do indeed arrive overhead and track outbound, descend , then perform the procedure turn to intercept the localiser and then the glide slope at the final approach fix.

Imagine your aircraft doesn’t have gps, you’re relying on radio nav aids. You have to fix overhead to start the approach procedure to get you to the final approach fix for the ILS.

2 Likes

Thanks both of you, I guess the way to do it is via waypoints and then use the frequency. Totally not disagreeing that obviously the official ILS approach, its more anecdotal from watching aircraft arrive at EGCC will always join the approach (for 23R) east of Stockport, without having first arrived over MCT?

1 Like

they usually get vectors (headings) from ATC to intersept the ILS but in same cases i.e. then youre flying at Unicom (Vatsim, IVAO…) you should do the official procedures

Very basically :slight_smile: (sorry if stating the obvious)

RNAV : MCT D11.7 D8.7 D4.0 D2.0 D1.0 D0.9 RW05R

ILS/DME : fly to MCT (113.55) ( radar vectors from ATC ? ) depart radial 218, at 14 DME outbound from MCT, right standard turn to intercept the Localizer 11.55. (052 deg) Decent in steps on the localizer, for each DME point be at the stated altitude (not below) (shown elsewhere in the Chart) -

You will get vectors to a straight-in when able. The full procedure is good practice for lost Comm. It requires you to use different lateral modes to execute it, i.e. NAV to HDG to LOC then APPR mode. HDG only because the sim sucks at inbound procedure turns.

2 Likes

There are some airport, that are located in Canyons, where the only approach is to overfly the VOR at the airport, and then do the outbound and procedural turn to fly back on the ILS.

ie KSNS California, USA

Thanks everyone that all makes a lot of sense. I think when the ATC says expect vectors to approach I was expecting it would be like FSX where it then talks you through a few headings towards the final line up.

Oh yeah, I’ve flown that during my air medical days in an EC-135

It almost never happens anymore in real life, all those procedures, base turns, procedure turns, racetracks. No commercial aircraft flies those, its all STARs with transitions or vectors. I can’t even remember the last time I have flown a full procedure like that, must have been as a flight instructor :joy:

Bull :poo:. I flew one yesterday, A320. They are still very common around the world, but STARs and vectoring are more common. But reversals do exist.

Which part of the world? In Europe almost never happens, some small airports without radar maybe…

I agree that generally you’ll get cleared to a WP and then radar vectors to intercept the localiser, but my experience as an Army and police helicopter pilot is that you must be prepared to do the full procedure at your destination. Not unusual to be instructed to join the procedure overhead the airfield VOR/NBD and carry out the procedure from there.

I don’t fly scheduled commercial IFR so won’t comment on that, but flying corporate some years ago with aircraft that were IFR equipped but without GPS or autopilot, required very good understanding of procedures and skills to match.

These days the twin turbine EC135 has full autopilot, twin GPS, Go around button on the collective etc, etc…Happy days!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.