Implement some type of LOD fading system to help reduce terrain and object pop-in

Sometimes I’m flying around terrain or points of interest such as the Rock of Gibraltar but the object detail is bad until I approach very close to the object. The same thing happens with objects at airports such as taxiway signs, other planes on the ground, baggage carts, etc.

Some other games use an object fade-in approach to reduce the “popping” at different LOD levels. Please implement something like that to improve graphics quality and realism. Thanks!

Seconded. I think object pop-in got worse with the last couple of Sim Updates.

1 Like

Yep, this would be great if feasible.

I remember Crimson Skies had something like this in place in the early 2000s which was kinda impressive - objects were faded in for like 5 seconds which made the immersion way better than just popping them in and this would especially great to see on terrain and PG over here :slight_smile:

Anyway I guess in these cases it would be too resource intense but I’d also just go with airport objects as OP stated.

Adding a fade transition to objects would add load to CPU and GPU and likely create stutters as animations are really hungry.

It would be far better to sort the loading of objects performance out so that we don’t have popping.

I don’t know the code but Multithreaded Asset Loading should fix this - it does require a lot of work and would be best done when transitioning over to DX12.

Will this issue improve with direct storage? This game from Microsoft-Asobo should implement it as soon as it is available.

The terrain popping can be very distracting, especially with photogrammetry.
I propose to add a fade-in (opacity factor 0->1) to new PG LoDs being loaded so the change from the previous LoD is not so jarring. This should also be applied to the trees being loaded.

Thank you!

That may look better form a visual perspective, but I isn’t think it would do a thing to improve performance, which a goal of having different LODs. It would require both LOD levels to transition between to be loaded at the same time. That may even be slower than if it had one or the other.

SU 10 was the best fase for the LOD pop in. it was so incredible till the SU 11. then so it began to fall and broke the immersion. hope this back to that good time.

1 Like

Taxiway signs seem to suddenly pop into view, even with generous LOD settings. This can make spotting turns at night and orienting yourself difficult.

It would be great if taxi signs loaded at a higher priority, like the rest of the airports lighting systems and painted lines.

1 Like

My request for taxi signs was moved here. I think it’s a bit of a different request than what this thread is about.

I just think it would be beneficial if taxi signs were loaded at a higher priority so the don’t pop into existence as you move down the taxiways.

2 Likes

I voted for the fade transition, but another option would be to allow users to control the distance at which the final (highest detail) terrain LOD is loaded. If the final LOD is loaded at a greater distance, then the popping would be less obvious, but it would also put a higher load on the system. Let the user choose based on personal taste and performance capability.

Multiplayer aircraft undercarriage seems to pop in to view after the plane, would be good to have other aircraft appear in a smoother way.

I’m just wondering why taxi signs have to be different than painted lines and airport lighting systems?

PAPI light don’t suddenly pop in way too late for an approach. Nobody would take this sim seriously if that happened.

I do realize, lights are different than objects with models. The lights have models too but they are decoupled from the actual light source.

1 Like