Improve landing challenge scores calculation and leaderboard stats

The calculated scores feel intangible. What does 10,000, 100,000, or 1,000,000 points mean? Is it good? What is the theoretical maximum score? What % was my score of that? Can there be a generic rating for each landing in a standard scale like (professional, Highly skilled, amateur, etc), ora letter grade (A,B,C, D, F)?

I’d also like to see a percentile ranking against other players instead of just a score and a rank that doesn’t mean much. So I was #2501 in the landing challenge… Does that make me top 10%, or were there only 2600 people that attempted it? I would want to see after I land that my landing score percentile was 93%, for example.

It would make it more competitive and fun to see a dashboard of my landing challenge scores, so that in a single glance I could see which one I need to work on. (What one did I do the worst on? Which ones am I best at? How many times have I attempted each?) I’m imagining that on the main landing challenge screen I could see my best score for each challenge at the bottom right corner of each landing challenge tile. Again, percentile would be better than a random big number that is my calculated score.

A note on calculation: It’s much more forgivable to land 100 feet before or after the mark on the runway than to land 100 feet beside the runway. This should be taken into account. The addition and multiplication is strange too. Should start with a theoretical max score and subtract all infractions from it.

Ex: Set 1000 = perfect landing

• subtract distance before/after landing target (in Feet)
  • subtract distance beside landing target (In Feet - use multiplier, such as 4x, or exponent such as ^2 since it’s worse to miss runway lateral alignment)
  • subtract fps at touchdown (works well with 1000 as max score because if you touch down beyond that, you should fail the landing because you probably crashed).
  • Min score should be 0 (No Negative scores)

*Consider other factors to adjust the score for:
Penalize bouncing
Penalize stalls on approach
Reward level wings on touch down
Reward stopping quickly on the runway
Reward stable approach
Reward proper approach angle during final
Reward appropriate landing speed for each aircraft

Also, once there’s a true max score, cheating is less appealing. The people that really want to refine their landing and get feedback can continue using it, and those that just want their xbox brownie points will lose interest after that get their perfect score.

Totally agree. It would be nice if the scoring showed at least the range of results by all the attempts. It’s difficult to know what the numbers mean, other than x number of people did better for the challenge. Would be interesting to see the range and seems like it would be an easy thing to program if the data is already there,etc. percentiles would be perfect !

2 Likes

Totally agree too. In the mean time I would like to see scores of my friends as well. Competing against the best in the world (too often cheaters) is less fun and motivating than against my friends.

Thanks!

2 Likes