In-game troubleshooting tool

Hi,

For a while I’ve been able to enjoy the sim running smoothly without crashes until WU4 came along. I’ve tried everything, hardware stress tests, software updates, hard reinstall of the sim but nothing fixes the freezes at loading screens, CTDs and even freezes that lead to PC shutdown.

As said, I’ve done many stress tests and tried other games, only MSFS causes this issues with my system.

I think it’s by the time for Asobo to develop a trouble shooting tool for scanning MSFS files to find incompatibilities and issues causing the sim to run slow or even crash by for example running the sim in “safe mode” using minimum requirementsoffline just as we usually do with an unstable PC. Earlier versions of flight sim (fs9 & fsx) had this when installing new aircraft/gauges you got a compability warning when starting the sim and asked if you want to run the program anyway, but not MSFS, here they want the community to do the trouble shooting for them.

Moment of CTD/ Freeze/ PC shutdown.

Event Data of shutdown

Cause of shutdown.

As you can see, there is an issue with vcruntime140.dll and I’m sure many of you also suffers from same issue.

A very good point! It would also need to work with the X-box part of things and anything else that the sim uses but it must be possible. Even a routine to show a detailed error message upon crash rather than just back to desktop.
It seems better now after the hotfix but I am still scared to run the dev mode and latest SDK - last time I did it crashed and wouldn’t start because it was set to Dev mode and needed a fix.
I tried app repair - now’t - then app reinstate (or whatever they call it). It warned I would lose setup data - fine - but then it did a major total reinstall starting with first release and then every ■■■■ update since - 9 hours and then free addons via profile manager. Grrrr!

1 Like

And after the sim refused to start following my trying Dev mode with the latest SDK ( I got as far as starting a new scenery mod and the whole lot crashed) - after that I tried repair then reset - reset caused a full reinstall.
But that didn’t include the European sim update. So after a week of working fine (and that hotfix) I added the update in-game via my profile. But yesterday on the first time of trying after that it refused to load past the picture of Paris. I tried app repair and then reset. No use. So now I am having to do another complete download. A troubleshooting/reporting tool would have saved that because if I knew what was stopping all this - most likely something on my PC rather than what it then takes from 't internet - I could rebuild the files myself (like i used to with better running sims)

I am still downloading the whole thing - extremely annoying especially because I couldn’t even get a new install past the initial screen. Tried everything -removing all traces inc in registry of MSFS and still nothing. So now after hours of trying over 3 days I found the culprit. My windows X-box app had been updated (quietly and in the background like all updates) and my gamertag ID was corrupted.
I discovered that by chance because I tried logging out, restart PC and logging in. So the absence of any troubleshooting tool or even a quick error message made me reinstall unnecessarily (again). That is all that was stopping it. (And I really wish they had made a pure PC version and a seperate X-Box version).

Still nothing new on this ?

I find it extremely cumbersome to chase down an offending addon by eliminating one after the other from the Community folder (or the other way round be adding them sequentially) until you hit more or less by chance…

Is it so difficult to introduce a log file or even better a tool to search for incompatibilities?
Maybe there are so many that Microsoft is ashamed of revealing their weaknesses … :rofl:

EDIT: so nothing yet. too bad.
It seems that good old Microsoft does not really care if their customers get angry or frustrated, loose their valuable time with chasing phantoms… All that counts for this monopolist is their own profit and peaceful days…
Sorry to have to say this here: but already in 1986 it came from the mouth of Bill Gates himself that their business model rests on the premise that a product is put on the market if it is “good ENOUGH”, not just good…
and we are all beta testers for MS ever since

1 Like