In Process Airport: Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum, Stow, MA

Thanks guys!

Like you said, what a great interview with Jorg!

Speaking of Jorg, and I didn’t mean to do this but, Off-topic - Man, I hope I get to meet Jorg someday. I’m hoping at some point to introduce him to the Collings Foundation. They’re developing a new aviation wing to the American Heritage Museum from their now ended annual Wings of Freedom tour and more, and I’d love to show the ideas to Jorg and see how MSFS might be able to work together synergistically with the museum!

Here’s an initial concept layout I developed for them in Blender with Rob Collings earlier this year. They already own >90% or more of the aircraft shown…

(P.S. It all started because I showed them a scenery I had created around the existing museum (there’s a grass strip page south of these buildings. It’s an absolutely beautiful property) for MSFS, and they said “Have we got a job for you!”)(I’ve been a docent there since the current museum opened)(Yeah, still haven’t released the scenery… I got a bit sidetracked, lol)

2 Likes

Great idea! Im pretty sure he is aware of that museum, i wouldnt be surprised. Try to write him an email or cantact him on LinkedIn, maybe he is indeed interested. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel similarly. I really like the man and see a kindred spirit and similar enthusiastic, visionary personality to my own.

I love that he is our “leader” and cannot overstate that.

I LOVE this! You’re thinking an in-sim virtual museum we can walk through, yes?

2 Likes

Yes… I already had a decent start of a rendition of the current museum, I need to take this work and port it back to that model, and get it down to a reasonable size. I actually started on this scenery to figure out how to develop buildings in FS back in about 2012/13 for FSX. Didn’t get very far then, but, was getting further last year for FS2020, then they asked me to do this…

But, I’m imagining so much more with access to more resources who know what they’re doing, lol (I moved so fast, this rendition is pretty heavy).

1 Like

I can relate to this. I made a custom version of KPRB and populated the Estrella Warbird Museum with various aircraft in the SDK, but used the DC-3 in a C-47 Livery for the one we have stationed here.

I get the loading stutter when on approach since I did all that, but it sure is cool to taxi past it on my way to RWY 31.

OMG, LOLLLLL I just started doing that airport last week! I’d been thinking about it, looking for resources to use. There are lighter resources to use than the actual MSFS planes out there…

I almost bought a Focke Wulf P.149D from them in 2020, but, somebody wrecked the engine, and I couldn’t swing a rebuild for the GO-480 (about the same cost as the value of the plane).

1 Like

Moved to Scenery & Airports after conversation with Topic Author. Thanks.

2 Likes

I would just love for someone to make a “pro” version of my home airfield.

Working on my version gave me so much appreciation for the work @Vincent1064 does on all the airports he’s made.

It’s fun, but also frustrating at the same time!

Crazy about the P.149D! I love these small world moments.

(Why did this get moved to real world aviation? We are talking about scenery/airports we built for the sim.)

1 Like

(Yes, I agree, I told him a better location, if they don’t want it in 2024, which I understand, would be Discussion Hub/Airports… It’s what it is… I figure I’ll release it for 2024, and maybe do KPRB, too, can you get pictures of the buildings?)(I’d put myself at low to medium skills, though, after all that, I can model. My texture skills are sub-par though, from my point of view anyway).

For sure, I took a number of photos of the airport and Terminal building. My son is learning Blender (he’s in his room right now working on something…) and I’ve thought about asking him to make me a few bespoke buildings.

I need to get back there and capture the museum.

1 Like