In the beginning, Bruce Artwick created Flight Sim

My first flight simulator was on the Sinclair z81.

Like this,

1 Like

I think my 1st Flight Simulator was more like this …

I get the impression that quite a few of the younger (and some older) MSFS players can relate to this expression of “disappointment & upset”

At least the plane has a 3D Instrument panel !!!

2 Likes

I flew from Half Moon Bay many times with FLY. Those were the days weren’t they? I wish you the best as you travel through the sim that is life!

1 Like

I love that Fly! had a realistic GPS for its time, Bendix/King KLN/89B. Old school cool now.

Oh you were one of the lucky ones that had a floppy drive. The casette version took about 22 minutes to load. Don’t ask how I know :sleeping:

1 Like

Wow, I’d forgotten about SubLogic ATP. I had started with Fight Simulator II (on an Apple), but it wasn’t until ATP that I felt I was flying in a populated virtual world. It was an amazing piece of work for the time.

1 Like

That’s so toxic and uncalled for.

1 Like

Well, maybe, maybe not. I wonder how many “Aerodynamic Enginnering” reference books are available to Asobo Developers working at Asobo, and of those that are, how much use they get.

When we see Q&A Videos , the Microsoft Guy is pictured in an Office, with just about every version and iteration of Microsoft Flight Simulators, on the wall behind him.

Maybe if Seth has a few Aeronautical Books on a Bookshelf behind him, in these “PR, Dog & Pony show” Videos, there might be a better perception.

Yes indeed, considering the hardware at that time… I was on a 386 machine with a few MB of RAM! really gave the feeling of the big jets, the 767 was my favourite one.

oh my, that 386 was so much faster than my old 286… We just scrapped all the 286’s when the new 386’s came rolling in. Our compiled dBase business programs ran at light speed…Smile.

Ahhhh! flashbacks - Clipper.

OH yes, flashback… Clipper 5.0 You are right on. Made a wonderful difference when running a dBase program. Now if only I could find that old Flight Sim floppy for my TRS-80 Model IV.

Gosh the fond and fun memories from those early days. And also the thousands of dollars spent.

If you start thining about Flight Sim in “dollars” you are on a slipper slope to depression …

Look on the bight side, back then if you had a Mortgage, you were paying like 15% Interest… Now you are paying like 2.5% … Think how many $1000 of extra interest you were paying back then … maybe that will help.
I know, back then a 40MB drive was like $500 but who needed a whopping 40MB back then ( $1000 + in todays prices), but now you can get a 512GB Flash drive for less than $100.

Its all relative, and mostly, water under the bridge …

OK, I now recall the Pain of buying a 40MB Hard Drive !! Ouch … It hurt !!
Especially if you dropped it on your foot – it was massive and HEAVY !!

Remember having to "Park Drives " ?? lol

I definitely don’t regret the dollars spent since that allowed one to do so many other things. Another joy has been getting to know some great individuals from around the globe while in multiplayer sessions.

1 Like

And never forget: you measure compatibility by running Flight Simulator, if it run on a compatible it is 100 % like an IBM PC… before you run it in a Commodore 64, Thanks to Guillermo Zuluetta we have Meigs on MSFS, Thanks Guillermo,Thanks Bruce,Thanks Sublogic.

1 Like

I think i broke a couple back in the day forgetting to park lol

I am sure many of us remember those initial take off from Meigs Field in the 1st Flight Sims, and then as each newer versions FS were released, that Meigs take off getting better and better.

I am sure we all also shared the anger and amazement when the Chigaco City Major, one night, in secret, bulldozed the Meigs runways, effectively closing down the Airport, for ever.

“The signature act of Richard Daley’s 22 years in office was the midnight bulldozing of Meigs Field,” according to Chicago Tribune columnist Eric Zorn.[19] “He ruined Meigs because he wanted to, because he could,” columnist John Kass wrote of Daley in the Chicago Tribune.[20]

Fly over Meigs Field now in MSFS, and the Bing generated scenery reflect the sad state of that piece of land , that was once Meigs Field.

Well, now, thanks to the excellent MSFS Meigs Field Scenery addon, by Guillermo Zuluetta, you can relive those memories, take off from Meigs Field again, and marvel at the Chicago Scenery, now rendered so realistically in MSFS,

Guillermo Zuluetta’s Meigs - MSFS addon Airport Scenery

Thank you — Guillermo Zuluetta

3 Likes

Ouch!!..I never knew they put FS2 on a cassette. Mind you, when the Epyzk Fastload cartridge came out for the C64, it cut the loading time to 3minutes

I will ‘see’ your Epyzk Fastload cartridge with my Sinclair Spectrum 128, Micro Drive.

So who wins? Haha.

1 Like