Incredibly frustrated with the constant CTDs

I’m incredibly frustrated. On this version and a few versions back the sim is 100% unusable for me. I launch the sim, then I select any airplane and any departure runway. Every time, 5 or 10 minutes after starting to fly, the sim just freezes and then it crashes to desktop. No error message or window is shown. It just closes, as if the process had been terminated. There’s nothing I’m doing to trigger the CTD, no clicking, no menu using, no window changing…

I’ve followed every available CTD guide. I’ve deleted everything and done a full clean install a couple of times. I’m using the Ms Store/XBOX store version on PC (Not Steam).

I have nothing in the community folder. I’m not using ANY addons. This is happening on a clean MSFS install.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

First the sim freezes and sound stops. A few seconds after that I’m on the desktop. No error message at all.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i9-9900K 2080ti 32Gb Windows11 (No overclock, no modifications, all drivers up to date)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

No idea. At least 2 or 3 updates back and I’ve done a couple clean installs.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

What is Windows Event Viewer showing at these times you experience crashing to desktop? In 99.9 percent of these CTD threads I see, there is no mention of anything about Windows Event viewer, which is the first place one needs to look. When they do look here then the real solutions start to happen.

3 Likes

Are you by any chance using a Asus motherboard with the on board audio device enabled?

1 Like

contact support

as mentioned, at least the windows event log would be a basic info in a bug report.

As example:

• If you found “clr.dll” within the windows event log message, simple check whether you have capture one installed

Can you elaborate on Windows Event Viewer and what it is and what to look for? I, like many here, have no clue what your statement means.

Windows has two primary places to check out where your PC is in it’s happy spot:

Windows event Viewer and Reliabillity monitor.

Type ‘Event viewer’ or ‘reliability monitor’ in to your search bar and they will pop up.

Event viewer is a little less friendly and you need to apply filters to see what’s going on. You’re generally looking for critical errors. It’ll record all manner of stuff. Isolate stuff by time of you crash to have a look.

Reliabillity monitor gives a nice timeline and faults by application/type. There’s less information there though.

Sadly, with these Memory read errors, they seem to be logged about 1 time in 5 in either application. They also show all manner of causes - Often

just Flightsimulator.exe, sometimes DX11 or Nvidia driver .dlls, sometimes Kernel even logs (141 or 41 seem popular). So it’s throwing errors all over and I can’t nail down one consistent cause.

6 Likes

yup, i had issues with Asus Sonic Studio.

Thank you for that tip!

I have a Gigabyte motherboard and I’m using an external audio interface. I’ve also tried using built in audio but I get identical CTD (Freeze for a few seconds and then I’m on the desktop). This is the only software I get these problems with, and I use other fairly demanding programs on here (3d rendering and what not).

1 Like

I know little about computers but several months back i decided to unplug my ethernet cord and strictly use wifi. It lowered my connection speed down significantly but since then i rarely get any ctd’s. I don’t know how or why this would make any difference but it really seems like it has.

Yep, samen here. EVERY flight within 5 min CTD. Disabling this audio device solved the problem. Hence my question to the OP.

1 Like

Yes, if these are the things that fix this kind of problems, that’s unacceptable. MSFS should work with all the common devices that most other software doesn’t crash on.
It’s already annoying to try to troubleshoot this when a clean installation of MSFS takes several hours and every relaunch to test a possible solution takes a very long time.

2 Likes

I hear you. I wouldn’t have even considered unplugging ethernet if i didn’t have a 1gjg connection. All my other games have no issues. It really does seem like this one does though.

1 Like

Well, then I do not think that you have the Sonic Audio device/suite installed. This leaves as next step the eventviewer/ reliability monitor😉. There already is some good advice here in this thread.

I alsof think that this game havily relies on servers and good connection to the cliënt. Microsoft should up their game😁

Thank You very much for explaining how to get to the tools and use them!

The only time that I encountered memory problems was when building my new system I set the RAM speed to 3600MHZ, which is what the memory is rated at. Windows gave me some memory crashed and the blue screen.

After that happening to me several times, I looked up the specs for my CPU, and the Intel I9-11900 specs and found out the it is only rated for 3200MHZ RAM, so I changed it in the ASUS bios and after that have not encountered anymore memory problems.

1 Like

What system specs are you on including power suply
For i had ctd with my old system and today i managed to overcome with some work around
This old system is using 630watt powersuply 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz supermicro sc9 servermotherboard, xeon 1230v2 processor, and nvidia gtx 780 3gb vram with latest drivers in surround mode 3 monitors 3840 x 1024 resolution 1gb internet connection on gb lan and windows 10 updated, xbox apps updated, directx 11
Simulator runs on low to medium settings now version 1.25.9.0

While up until wu9 i could fly but with no problem but after update it ctd after loading screen
I think i got powerpeeks might be not in the sim but what i did was i uninstalled all free world updates in the dowload manager also i deleted vegetation base file from onestore directory
(It redownload itself) and i under volt my graphicscard also the coreclock tuned it down
For me this worked i fly without world updates but use the new build 1.25.9.0 cause on this system i dont mind lowerness btw i fly this with keyboard.

Hope this helps

The first thing to look for would be a windows event specifically at the time you have a CTD event in the simulator. I would ignore warnings in Event Viewer and focus on Errors for now. Refrence the sections I have highlighted, the Date and Time and Details. Once you can find a specific error or errors that happen when you get a CTD then the details section becomes useful then because it will generally point you in the direction of the cause to the CTD or point you further into a direction of further trouble shooting. One then is on their way to learning more how to PC and you’ll become more knowledgeable this way. We either remain a furstrated user or we become kind of power user in sorts to where we can begin to correct some of the issues we face sometimes on PC.

A lot of the CTDs people have result in errors regarding ntdll.dll and a few others that is associated with .Net Framework, C++ and SidebySide errors due to .dll version conflicts which can be fixed by reinstalling the packages, rebooting the PC and then running windows updates. But lets not get to ahead here, we still need to determine what events if any that are coming up during the time of the CTD when using MSFS.

As far as windows 10 is concerned I would recommend to everyone that they have the following packages installed and patched through windows update. Indeed, completely from C++ 2005 to the 2015-2022 packages making sure that both 32bit and 64bit packages are installed. This is crucial. . . people tend to think they only need the 64bit version and having only the 64bit version can cause all kinds of issues.

Again, most of the CTDs I see people getting and as well the few that I have had, result in .dll errors that are .dll files associated with C++ and .Net.

1 Like

It appears like .Net is part of the story. In windows update it says everything is up to date and there’s no optional updates available. I just ran the NetFxRepairTool but I’m not sure if that did any kind of updating. Could you point me to where I can download all those packages?

THANKS!