Indiafoxtrotecho and HeatBlur bringing F-16A Fighting Falcon to MSFS

Screenshot for those who may have trouble with the Facebook link:

16 Likes

Exciting news! Understandable that theyā€™d take this approach with a simpler version. Exciting to see the work with HeatBlur continue. Iā€™m sure people will be asking if the F-4 is in the pipeline too as a result.
Hereā€™s hoping weā€™ll maybe see this one in mid to late 2025!

2 Likes

Great news! A real classic for the hangar. Insta-buy.

1 Like

This is really great!

It seems somewhat funny to be flying military aircraft that cannot shoot their guns or drop bombs, just sayingā€¦FWIW!

1 Like

Think of it as an airshow plane. They donā€™t strafe the crowd or drop bombs on the parking lot.

There was a wishlist item a while ago for a ā€˜laser tagā€™ option, which I think would be great. But I think Microsoft doesnā€™t even want simulated air combat in this sim.

3 Likes

What do you think that was worth?

3 Likes

I live not far from Joint Base Andrews, where there are military aircraft coming and going all the time, and Iā€™ve yet to see one strafing or dropping bombs on the Washington DC suburbs.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s what MOAs are for.

My point is that military aircraft do many things that donā€™t involve weapons. So ā€œwhy should I fly a military aircraft if I canā€™t shoot things?ā€ never made sense to me.

4 Likes

disregard please

I totally get the desire to be able to have functioning weapons. Itā€™s not going to happen. So, I do everything real pilots do, minus live weapons.

Iā€™ll say it again, thoughā€¦ I see no valid reason not to have ā€˜laser tagā€™ and dummy bombs implemented.

Almost as funny as flying virtual aircraft on a computer that donā€™t get you anywhere, even though aircraft are first and foremost a mode of transportation. :wink:

Ask an airforce pilot how often they fire weapons as a percentage of all their flights.

4 Likes

For instance, at the International Seaplane Fly-in at Moosehead Lake in Maine, one of the contests they do is grapefruit (Iā€™ve also heard water balloon) bombing a target in the lakeā€¦

I could totally see this being a thing in the sim.

https://www.seaplanefly-in.org/

But, like a lot of others, I donā€™t mind that thereā€™s no guns or bombs in the game, but there are similar actions that donā€™t have to involve destruction, as noted above.

(P.S. I created a scenery for Moosehead lake available at flightsim.to with both of the seaplane bases on the south shore, and a whole lot more scenery for the area.)

If I remember correctly there was a bombing mission in FSX where you would try and hit a target with a flour bomb from an ultralight.

2 Likes

I also fly in DCS. I seldom drop bombs or fire my guns BUT I do have a lot of fun flying military aircraft that are ā€œarmed to the teethā€. FWIW

MS did make a combat flight sim, called Combat Flight Simulator, but all 3 were WWII based.

I remember them well!

There are very good updated versions of them - actually revised into entirely new sims. Look up Wings Over Flanders Fields 2 and Wings Over The Reich.

Very much worth a look.

2 Likes

Oh yes! That challenge was a blast to fly. The different sized targets, the fact that they moved as the flour bombs hit them, the time pressureā€¦I had hours of fun with that! The ripple release of flour sacks was hilarious. Good times.

1 Like