Induced and Inverse Yaw, Yaw close to the stall

Brief description of the issue:
I love how the aircraft feels, but there is no inverse or induced yaw, and rudder input isn’t all that realistic. Even FSX has that right, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this.

Talking piston singles here:
When an aircraft is rolling, it should be yawing in the opposite direction of the roll. When aircraft power is added, it should yaw left.

When rudder is applied the aircraft SHHOULD first yaws, and then rolls AS the yaw progresses, and not immedietely yaw as it does right now.

When the aircraft is in a significant bank angle (typically around 30 degrees+) there should be enough yaw that rudder is needed in the direction of the turn to keep the aircraft balanced (coordinated)

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Fly the aircraft!

Lack of induced yaw: add power, aircraft does not yaw
Lack of adverse yaw: roll, aircraft does not yaw in the opposite direction
Lack of yaw in the turn: turn steeply, aircraft stays almost perfectly balanced (coordinated)

Unrealistic yaw: apply rudder, watch the aircraft immedietely roll as it yaws

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
RTX 2080TI
64GB 3200MHZ
i10-10900k OC 5.1GHz
M.2 drive (1TB)

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
No

Hi, I want to see if I can reproduce this. I see you mentioned piston aircraft - do you have a specific example for me to try out? I do a bit of flying in the 172 and 152 but had not noticed anything significant in the way of yaw behavior. I would like to look more closely though. Are they susceptible to this issue?

Thanks!

I’ll record a short video today. Should happen with all single props, piston or turbine, but I typically demonstrate these when teaching Private Pilot stuff so I tend to use the 152 or 172. I haven’t had access to an aircraft in a while but I would demonstrate these on a regular basis. Until I record my sim, here are some videos to help explain what the aircraft should be doing.

Also like to bring up the rudder’s ineffctiveness in a stall. in MSFS, if you use full aft yoke/stick and keep ailerons neutral, you’ll enter a spin, no matter what you do with rudder. That’s simply not how the aircraft fly in the real world. In fact, there’s a training exercise called the falling leaf exercise, where you keep the aircraft continually stalled in order to train pilots how to prevent spins during a stall. you enter and maitnain the stall while the student prevents wings drops with rudder

Ok so had a play with the 152 and 172. There does seem to be some adverse yaw but I would agree it is far too weak compared to what it should be. Ordinarily, I fly with slow/medium control input rates so I wouldn’t notice adverse yaw too much. I think that is why I hadn’t noticed it. But I went and did some more abrupt inputs and sure enough, you are right funky, not enough adverse yaw.

I haven’t checked the other singles yet. But before I do I might dive in to the config files and see if it is something that can be adjusted. Mostly so we can help figure out if it is a tuning issue for the models, or a global flight model issue.

Good pickup Funky

Cheers

1 Like

thank you so much for looking into it! Frankly, it is the one thing that’s holding this sim back as a viable demonstration platform. I love it so much and have been using it to teach one of the gaming communities I’m in the private syllabus. Hard to tell people to add right rudder when they increase power, when the aircraft stays perfectly balanced/coordinated!

1 Like