Initial Impressions from an X-Planer

You’re joking, right?
You can’t possibly be naive enough to believe that these people worked for free.

1 Like

Well, hands up, I let my GeForce Experience start the game and flew over Fife in the UK with “few clouds” setting. It was pretty stunning, although disappointed that the UNESCO World Heritage Forth Bridge wasn’t rendered. FPS steady at around 55. So much less “green” than flying out of KROA . I don’t know why maybe GeForce controls the graphics ?

Not impressed with the clouds??? Oh my

2 Likes

The printed manual is very basic as far as set up is concerned. Just installation instructions, and really the basic home screen. For detailed info, I would recommend “squirrel’s” series of videos on youtube,

There may well be others, I’m a newbie on here!

1 Like

Lol i thought this too at first - but even Austin conceded that MSFS has a better weather system and that any that xplane can offer cant come close. It was about his only acknowledgement of the threat from MSFS. Think this might be a troll post.

Right now the only thing keeping me from saying “MSFS is 100% better than XP11” is the GA control sensitivity issue. There’s something really wrong with it, and lowering the sensitivity curves only seems to be a superficial workaround. That and the buggy systems (autopilot, etc). This all seems patchable though, hopefully soon.

Other than that, XP11 has been btfo. I don’t think XPlane is done for, despite what some of the fanboys are saying. They also survived FSX, which had similar levels of hype at the time. They just need to step their game up for XP12. The Vulkan update should give them a solid foundation.

2 Likes

The clouds dont look meteorologically correct. Rex Sky force had that but Mfs not at all

Agreed. I was baffled by the color grading in FS2020. So much so that Nvidia freestyle is pretty much a must.

I love SkyMaxxPro - but I can’t agree. Granted, high-level cloud layers in MS2020 look like a sad joke (cirrus? hello?), but cumulus layer is pretty epic. Storm clouds look great too. SkyMaxxPro clouds probably look the best as far as X-plane clouds go, but it’s still limited by the box that it’s in.

100% agreed. 2 things need to happen for FS2020 to challenge X-plane in IFR - high fidelity jets (hopefully coming as promised) and much better LOD and graphics quality from a high altitude (this one I am worried about). Right now, graphics from 30000ft look like they were optimized for a phone - X-plane wins here easily.

The manual is not even a quick-start guide, pretty much useless to anyone with any experience of FS9 or FSX. There is an Essential Keyboard Shortcuts fold-out which has some value, but - in my opinion - the manual is not worth the paper its printed on EXCEPT for the Install process portion (which I guess nullifies my whole comment!) :slight_smile:

In short - you’re not missing much.

Difficult to argue on that !! are you a meteorologist ? Sure because I am a real life pilot and I can assure you that these MSFS clouds looks like the real one I can see from the cockpit…with or without glasses. I am sure Rex Sky are also very realistic but just come to a limit with the volumetric rendering and the amount of clouds layers in XP, P3D.
Moreover, in MSFS these clouds moves with the wind and they are progressing according to the atmospheric changes… that is wonderful.
Sincerely, XP is an excellent sim, so far no doubt about this ( and I am a XP user too) , but MSFS2020 is largely superior in terms of earth graphic and weather rendering , using optimal CPU/GPU and multithread performance

Thanks for the feedback on the manual.

I’m not fanboying this game, but your quote “I was not impressed with the clouds” … how??? I come from mainly DCS and IL-2. Have you seen those clouds? I’ve been complaining about the flight models of several of the aircraft (despite “real” pilots shrugging off criticism simply becuase the cockpit shakes a bit now due to turbulence), but even me with my various early complaints, I just can’t see how you criticize the visuals in this game?

Also you don’t need a super high end computer to play on High or Ultra graphics with 60ish frames. You need single core performance and plain and simple clock speed. My 2 year old, very affordable i5-9600K is around 3.7ghz by default, but I’ve overclocked it to 4.8ghz. Coupled with a good video card and my frames are above 100fps most of the time on ultra settings. If I had a cheaper video card I’d just drop down to High settings and be just fine.

In my local airport in XP11… its just a strip of concrete. Atleast in FS2020 building & AI are there.

X-Plane = pile of *****

4 Likes

When you fly with Medium Preset but still like to have the best Clouds,
manually change Volumetric Clouds back to Ultra, voila!

1 Like

+1 pdf cost them nothing , they already have it. Give us stuff !!! +1

:grin:

No seriously, keep using x-plane. :upside_down_face:

Pilot2ATC for X-Plane is pretty good. I have used MSFS 2020 ATC stuff at all yet though.

I think im just sad the the Cb´s dont look like REX for P3d band im not a meteorologiest. Your right the clouds look much better than Xp11 Vanilla.

I would like to set the cat among the pigeons :
Is there any weather radar included in X plane ? NO and this is for 14 years now… Xplane users have to stay with a terrain radar but no weather radar… I As far as I know IFR flights in liners and commercial are using a weather radar…
One more légitime reason to fly FS2020.