Installation Issues & Bugs Megathread

I noticed today during some of the ai generated airports there were a lot of the blue taxi lights in the middle of the taxiway for many of the airports I visited. KBNA was one and I remember KGRR was another. Should we post bugs here or open tickets for them?

Does anyone know if there is a log file from installation somewhere?
Mine hangs with no clue as to why. I still donā€™t have it running.

What is up with REPAIR? In ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS advanced options there is a REPAIR option. It makes a check mark on the screen, but does not appear to do any work.

Iā€™m installing to the G drive

Giving up now after maybe 12 attempts to install - sent msinfo32 and dxdiag info off to Microsoft - this loader is completely unstable where it crashes is totally random, loading screen, downloading for 1 min, 5 mins, 2 hoursā€¦ its unfit for purpose. It needs patching. I have done everything Microsoft support advised plus more from this forum. So many of us have the same issue.

2 Likes

Hopefully someone else found this for the crashing issues but if not check your pagefile. I imagine people with plenty of space on their hard drive and a system managed pagefile donā€™t have issues since that was the fix for my crashing. In my case the game wanted more than the 5GB of pagefile I had manually set and didnā€™t start performing well untill I exceeded 10GB of pagefile. After setting to system managed it is committing over 22GB of virtual memory. The bigger the pagefile the longer it lets me fly. Even at 22GB it was still asking for more.

As far as the install issue I had to try all kinds of nonsense to get it working and not sure what worked. I tried the repair, reset, redownload and even deleting those last 5 or 6 small files and letting it fix itself. I ended up deleting one ~1GB folder and all those small files and after starting it that time it started decompressing things it didnā€™t before and I could see it adding new folders. Idk what actually fixed it but that was the process of the last attempt I made.

For solid 3 days Iā€™m so frustrated Iā€™m not able to update the sim even to see the interface. After finishing the 95Gib download, Iā€™ve lunch the sim and them ask me to update 3.68GIB for days this update doesnā€™t even started hours hours. I formatted the entire system and re-installed since yesterday Iā€™m still waiting for it. can someone help me out. Thanks

1 Like

google it there is a solution for 3.68gib issue.

Try this:

1. Close the simulator
  2. Open the installation directory
  3. Sort files/folders by date
  4. Delete the newest file
  5. Launch the sim and see what happens.

This has not worked for everybody, but it has helped quite a few people.

Thatā€™s the exact fist issue I had. Did you try deleting those small files and the one folder that is 1.(something)GB and running the program again?

If that is the case where is the link? The only reason many of us are even here is because we googled that. I tried most everything I could find including the ā€œautotuninglevel+normalā€ ā€œfixā€. Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones to finally get it working but why comment if you arenā€™t going to add anything of value or worth reading?

Many people dont install large applications to c: for a variety of good reasons. E.g. no space - early SSDs were 128GB and 256GB that fill up very quickly. Easier if you want to format your OS drive you donā€™t have to backup, move or redownload files again. Etcā€¦

Asking people to install to c: is not a suitable workaround not in 2020 especially when games can exceed 90GBā€¦

so, you visit C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_KEY\LocalCache

the last file almost 8,400,000 kb - this cant be righ can it?

Really disappointing that its been what 2 days and i cant see the crash to desktop in this listā€¦

When is your crash to desktop occurring?

Happens during the blue progress bar, downloading after 1 min, 3 min, 5 min, 2 hours etcā€¦ totally random. I have a ticket with MS and done everything in their list plus more that is on this forum. Its extremely unstable. I sent my msinfo32 and dxdiag off to MS. Its pointless to attempt downloading at this stage whilst its so unstable.

Some workaroung for downloads freezingā€¦

Go to this url and do the clean boot it is what worked for me with this problemā€¦

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

EK~

Itā€™s now downloading now another 59GiB again hopefully it works. Thank you I will let you know after

Thatā€™s good news because that is the size it showed me before working. Most of it was actually decompression work in my case with only some of it actually showing any network traffic. Good luck.