6 months ago the sim crashed on me in the middle of a flight. No big deal, that happened from time to time. However, this time, it wouldn’t start again. I decided to uninstall the game entirely and start over. Well I’ve been trying for the last 6 months to accomplish that, never to make it through the installer. Until yesterday. I have read every thread, done everything in my power, refreshed the whole PC, done literally EVERYTHING to no avail. Yesterday I tried something that revealed the problem, a solution I REALLY hope helps others out there AND helps Asobo/Microsoft help others and / or reconfigure their software and/or offer better support on the issue.
The problem: install manager would begin updating / downloading, but become stuck decompressing (a different file every time)
Things I tried: every single thing suggested by zendesk, I tried net limiter, changing folders, pc reset, no firewalls, I mean seriously, a different possible solution every other day for 6 months. I won’t even bother trying to list everything I tried.
My configuration: Steam deluxe edition. LAN direct to router. Ryzen 9 3900x, GTX2070 Super, 32GB DDR43200, 1TB Nvme, MSI x570 gaming plus mobo, windows 10, every single driver and BIOS fully updated, no overclocking.
The solution: I don’t know why I thought of this, but yesterday I ran microsoft memory diagnostic tool. The memory test failed. I pulled one of my DIMMs, re-ran the test, it failed again. Swapped the DIMMs, (running one of my 16GB DIMMs), the test passed with no problems. I immediately restarted the SIM, began downloading to a new folder from the beginning, (at full download speed with no netlimiter, download was stable around 14mbps) and voila! 10 hours later, the game is fully downloaded and installed.
Analysis: obviously I had a bad memory card. I’m not a super computer whiz, but logic tells me the card was losing or corrupting data while decompressing large files causing the hang up. The interesting thing is, I use a ton of other large and complex software on my PC and never had any issues, including powerful rendering software. The hardware issue only seemed to present itself with Microsoft flight simulator. I still think this is something they need to look into for this reason, the files that are being decompressed are quite large. The installer should detect and suggest there has been a failure, and this should DEFINITELY be something they suggest when troubleshooting with someone having the same problem.
I never would have thought I had a hardware problem, but I was at my wits end and was willing to try anything. The SIM is back up and running 100% today and I have a memory card on its way to GSkill for warranty replacement.
I hope so so so much this helps someone out there get past this problem. Good luck!!