Installation of MSFS and from Marketplace Download Excessive

I’ve been noticing something along these lines for a few months now. Today, just for fun, I decided to undergo the punishment of reinstalling MSFS in hopes that it would solve my stutters. And so my experiment begins.

While I was in process of re-installing my purchased addons, I noticed something as the files were being stored on my SSD.

In this one case, the Paderborn file download comprised of 12+ files (it was still downloading when I captured this, there were a few more after). The total of the files is in the ~14.5 Gb range. See below:

Once the installation was finished, I went to check the final installation size and as shown below, it is 3.9 Gb.

I downloaded 14.5 Gb to install 3.9 Gb!!!

My assumption is that when we download an update, it’s actually ALL the versions of the addon/base file structure slapped together. Meaning, the same file maybe over-written several times with a patched version.

I work in software, and this is somewhat common. However, when software installations get into the Gb size, the packages need to be re-baselined to the latest version.

NOTE: I noticed this too with other Sim updates, and I think the note for SU4 that the install size was reduced helped, but I’m still seeing multiple copies of similar sized files being downloaded, that ultimately total 2-8x of the final installation size.

I don’t have a bandwidth issue, but for those who are constrained by network bandwidth or caps, this is crazy to me.

What do you all think?

1 Like

Yikes!:flushed:

Thanks for pointing me to this post, and for figuring it out in the first place.

I guess I’ll see how it looks as a direct download from Aerosoft.

But your discovery is really interesting… and frustrating. To think that I was going to download 14gig for 1 airport… ridiculous.

Thank you for your research and the write up!

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/advice-needed-where-to-install-msfs/408923/3

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.