Instructions for FMS

Is there any written instruction or documentation for using the default aircraft FMS’s anywhere in existence? It seems absolutely crazy to me that these extremely complex systems have been modelled in faithful detail… and you’re just expected to guess at how they work.
Yes, I know there are some Youtube videos made by users which show certain aspects of them, but most of the time they don’t cover everything and are inconvenient to watch whilst in flight when all you want is a reference manual. Some of them are also wrong or contradictory or have gaps where the presenter assumes you already know how to do something in the FMS.
What I want is a written FMS guide I can print out and have on my desk for reference. Too much to ask for?

1 Like

I cannot imagine that, for example, the fms of the 787 is fully recreated… Or even remotely. Or those of any other default plane for that matter

Not really relevant to the problem, but thanks.

Hi @SchimmelBonbon0,

The Boeing 787-10 is one of a number of aircraft that received significant updates and upgrades in 2023.

Aircraft & Avionics I Release Notes [1.30.12.0] - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Aircraft & Avionics Update 2 Beta Release Notes [1.33.3.0] - Alpha/Beta Archive / AAU_02 Beta Archive - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thanks
The MSFS Team

1 Like

Well in this case there’s always FCOMs/POHs
Abbreviated “summaries”… I don’t know of any…

Hi @MucusTech,

You can find full PDF document guides on our website: Aircraft Manuals - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thanks
The MSFS Team

Correct, only that 2 pages on the fms won’t really cut it in terms explaining the whole thing …

Hi @SchimmelBonbon0,

I’m not sure which aircraft you are referring to that has only 2 pages on the fms?

Thanks
The MSFS Team

The 787 for example… But you got me there,it’s four pages. And I got the notion that the OP wanted some in depth documentation…

Are you joking? Although the manual for the Boeing 747 explains the FMS reasonably well, the A310 manual doesn’t explain HOW to operate it at all, it’s basically just a list of checklists and procedures (and that’s the one aircraft that you are absolutely required to use the FMS because it doesn’t autoload flight plans from the world map!). There’s no manual for the A320 at all. Pretty poor show, if you ask me.

Depending on WHAT you are looking for you might just

1. have to sit through a few tutorials (I think chewwy might even have a few of these :wink:) or
  2. Download the 310 FCOM (which, at 1200 pages, is quite a brick though)

Regards

1 Like

Hi @MucusTech,

The team at iniBuilds have not only included the documentation linked via our website, but have also created a 9 part video series that enters a lot of detail as to how to operate the A310! If you combine both the documentation guide on checklists and procedures with some knowledge picked up from the tutorial videos, I’m sure you’ll have no issues setting up the A310 in no time at all! :slight_smile:

A310 MSFS - YouTube

Thanks
The MSFS Team

1 Like

It’s for the A310 as mentioned by SchimmelBonbon0, but the basics are the same.
(FMS procedures start at Chapter 1.19.10)

That’s really helpful ,thank you .