Intel 10700F with RTX 2070S . Is upgrading to a 3060ti, 3070 / 3080 worthwhile?

Although my 10700f combined with a 2070s gives useable performance it is now seriously struggling with complex airports / aircraft in particular the Fenix A320, struggling to hit 30fps . Would anybody recommend upgrading the GPU with this particular CPU or would it be better to upgrade the entire system, (a preference my wallet is not excited about !) . Used with a 27" 1440p screen. Any advice appreciated.
System is an Alienware R11, where size matters. Do not really want to have to modify chassis if at all possible.

1 Like

Same CPU. With a RX 6800XT (very similar to RTX3080 in raw performance), I get over 60fps in GA planes and mid 40’s with complex airliners at 1440p and a mix of high/ultra, TLOD @ 200.

Take a look in Dev Mode and see if your mostly MainThread limited or GPU limited.

If your MainThread limited then upgrading your GPU will probably not get you much.

If you GPU limited then a GPU upgrade may yield you better performance.

1 Like

This is my issue with limited experience of hardware. In DX11 main thread limited, in DX12 GPU limited.

This is a tricky situation then. DX12 is the future of the sim. But its also still in beta.

I might wait until MSFS DX12 implementation is out of beta and then review.

That being said Aosbo’s end goal is to reduce/remove MainThread limitations as much as possible.

Sorry I don’t have a clear answer for you.

i have a 11700 K with and 3080.
works amazingly well.
I fly in VR with this.

Could you tell me, is your 3080 a 10gb, 12 gb vram card ?

If you can, avoid any card with less than 12gb.
“It’s a trap!”

1 Like

Yes, this is what i’ve been thinking !

1 Like

Great! Yeah i would’ve gone with the 3080 till i saw it had less vram than my 1080ti…went 3090 and glad i did. I have a bad feeling gta 6 is gonna break some hearts when it comes to vram requirements.

I have a 10 but runs great
but af course if you cab buys a 12 or better a TI
some shots in VR in almost all high or ultra

t

1 Like

I have a 12700K and a 3080ti. I do see above 8GB vram use. But don’t see it get close to maxing out at very much if at all.

Still if I was looking at a higer end card 12GB would be my minimum. I was a bit disappointed that the 3080ti did not come with 16. But I was not about to wait for 4080’s.

It’s weird how MSFS allocates the video ram, though. It seems to use percentage of what’s available. I’d see 8.5-9GB max on my 10GB 3080TI, sometimes closer to 7. I typically see about 17GB used on my 4090.

Yep - my RX 6800 w/16 GB usually has 12-14 GB used in a typical MSFS session.

Hi
I’ve been trying to copy and paste today and I can’t get it to work. I have looked it up and that didn’t work. Is windows 11 different?
Thank you
Hank

Hey Hank
no win 11 should be simular. maybe small differences. what is it you wanna copy?
what is youre setup?
I have poster all my settings on Facebook on the VR fs2020 group. maybes that helps?

Using an i7 10700k. I went from an RTX 2060super to the rtx3060ti and the upgrade was simply not worth it. VRAM bottleneck similar to the 2060s.
I’m now using a Radeon RX 6800 despite low fps with PMDG and Fenix because they are CPU intensive however there is a lot less stuttering on the Amd card as opposed to the 2060s and 3060ti thanks the 16gb of vram. It makes a big difference with high quality payware airports.
If you prefer to stick with Nvidia I wouldn’t get anything less than a 3080ti.