Intel i9 12900k alder lake

Anyone planning on upgrading to this cpu as well as ddr5 ram?. I’m taking the plunge
Lee

1 Like

It looks good in many ways and kills at many tasks so far. Although initial reviews actually show it performing worse with MSFS than the current top end Ryzen 9 59x0X AMD offerings. Could be something they’ll sort out in time though. If you’re buying it specifically for MSFS, I would hold off and wait for a while.

But I guess it also depends on what you currently have. In the end, up to you really.

1 Like

Linus tech reviews tested the 12th gen Intel and it didn’t had a significant difference in speed compared with the 3th gen Ryzen processors…

4 Likes

Id rather wait for the next few ipdates and if they find a way to spread the cpu load away from mostly one single core. If that happens, we should see a big improvement already. Im not throwing any money at it right now, as the hardware seems not to be the main reason. I hope for an indepth digital foundry benchmark for this cou with msfs.

1 Like

I have an upgrade path with my older Ryzen 2700x and x470 board. Just waiting for the current gen Ryzen 9 chips to drop in price before I take the leap. My system will then be maxed out for the next 2-3 years. By then DDR5 prices will have dropped and stuff will be even faster.

Competition is a great thing for the consumer.

2 Likes

I think you were watching a different video

1 Like

See for yourself…… ( go to 3:45)

3 Likes

For the rest… here are some results from the video…

3 Likes

I use I9-11900K and an average improvement of 7 FPS doesn’t warrant a $1000 upgrade investment to me at this point. I think 30 to 40 FPS is probably OK.

3 Likes

It had a nice increase in speed on almost everything except MSFS where it either matched or came behind AMD. @jpht1964 wasn’t very clear on that part.

2 Likes

Agreed.

People with good systems think they kinda have to upgrade to get better performance on MSFS. I sometimes think like this too, but in reality, it’s MSFS who has to optimize. The sim is very badly optimized right now.

5 Likes

That’s kind of the key there. While the new Intel CPUs are slightly cheaper than the Ryzen 5000 counterparts, the DDR5 memory is hella expensive atm, and likely will be for some time. Any savings one will get from the CPU will be lost many, many times over by the more expensive motherboards and DDR5. Not to mention the much higher power usage under load, beefier (and more expensive) cooling required, and increased cost of operation.

If you’ve got an 8th gen or later i7 or i9, it’s probably not really worth the upgrade cost atm. You’ll see a definite improvement, but not one that will warrant the couple of thousand dollars you’re going to have to fork out for a complete new system. In that case, I’d wait for 13th or later gen Intel before making the update. Is it better? Defnitely. Is it $2000 better? That’s questionable.

If you have an older Intel system that’s struggling, or really, REALLY want to run Windows 11, then I’d say this is a good time to upgrade to 12th gen.

If one has AMD 5000 series, this isn’t a worthwhile upgrade. The high cost doesn’t justify the tiny performance improvement in everything other than MSFS. If you have an older AMD CPU (like in my case) and a suitable board, a CPU upgrade to a high end AMD is actually a great idea. AMD will be dropping their prices to beat Intel’s new lineup, as currently, the cheaper i5 12500k is murdering the Ryzen 5600 and it’s cheaper. And new AMD CPUs (probably a 5000 series refresh) is right around the corner anyway.

Right now, I wouldn’t buy a brand new Ryzen system though. One of the most compelling reasons to go AMD (outside of beastly performance) is they offer an amazing upgrade path. And unfortunately, the AM4 socket is a dead end now with AM5 right around the corner. Ryzen 5000 is as good as it gets for AM4 users.

I’m just glad that CPU competition is back. Let’s hope that AMD and Intel keep leapfrogging each other like this. In the end, it means better products and lower prices for the consumer, so we win.

1 Like

DDR5 is almost impossible to find right now as it’s sold out almost everywhere. Even if you wanted to take the plunge for the 12900k, I think you will be competing against a limited 12900k stock and even more limited DDR5 stock. It could be like this for months, who knows.

The discounts for Ryzen 5000s has already began. Microcenter has the 5800x for sale at $300.

2 Likes

I’m much more interested in what AMD has to offer next at this point. The 12900 looks absolutely miserable to keep cool so any upgrade is basically an entirely new PC—in other words, it’s really expensive in addition to being really expensive.

Same here. It’s nice to have them leapfrogging each other again like this. And now they REALLY have to up their game, because ARM is becoming a strong player as well. Intel can’t sit around on their laurels any more like they were for the past 10+ years.

Same also, I just got the 5950X and VERY happy with it, so I will stick with the AMD CPU line-up for the foreseeable.

Indeed. I’m happy with AMD right now. I’ll be upgrading my chip to a 5950X once AMD knock down the price a bit once they refresh their lineup.

Next time I need a new computer a few years, I’ll see how each camp is doing. I have no brand loyalty. I choose the best performance I can get at that time for my money for my use case (which is more than just sim and games). But if AMD offer the same multi-generational upgrade path they offered with AM4, that could sway my decision even if they don’t have the biggest and baddest at that time.

1 Like

Hello, I have moved this to PC & Hardware, which is where anything related to CPUs, graphics cards, memory, etc. is discussed.

That’s a bit, well a lot of a fallacy as I often find heavy use on a second core and at least 2 more are used consistently by sim processes. I’ve done a little testing and as it is six cores will work flawlessly but four is really pushing things and can lead to audio dropouts etc.

Not me… not because I don’t like the upgrade, but it won’t be an upgrade, but a whole new build. This means, I would need a new motherboard, a new DDR5 RAM, and probably bottlenecking on the GPU as well, which means I need a new GPU anyway.

I’m happy enough with my 3-year old i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4, and RTX 2080 Ti. Congrats on those planning to get the new hardware, enjoy them.

2 Likes