Intermittent keyboard issue with SU11 on Xbox (detailed description)

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?
No

Brief description of the issue:
Standard supported USB keyboard connected to Xbox X works fine during menu options. However, all connectivity is lost to the keyboard immediately after entering a new flight. This happens 100% of the time regardless of plane, departure location, time, day, weather, etc. And is 100% reproducible with consistent results. You can restore keyboard operation by disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard to the Xbox USB port. While this is a workaround, it should not be required for normal operation.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
No screenshot necessary. See above description. It’s very repeatable and happens every time at the start of a new flight. Regardless of plane, location, time of day, flight plan, weather, etc. It happens every single time, and the workaround works every single time.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. connect any standard PC based USB keyboard to an Xbox X
  2. launch MSFS
  3. check the controls settings and verify that the keyboard is fully detected
  4. verify the keyboard is working by typing in anything within the flight planner for example. It should work fine.
  5. choose any departure location, with any plane, and any time/weather settings, and launch the flight
  6. click “ready to fly” once in the cockpit view
  7. you will now see that the keyboard is no longer operating
  8. disconnect and reconnect the keyboard by unplugging and plugging it back in via the same USB port
  9. the keyboard should now be operational again.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
Xbox X with latest Xbox OS and latest MSFS update SU11+ (whatever build is current as of submission of this bug)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
It’s been happening since SU10 and now SU11

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

same thing happens to me. Xbox series x.

I finally figured out if I don’t connect the keyboard to the Xbox until after MSFS 2020 has completely started up (at the main menu). Then plug it in, I have better luck with it keeping the keyboard connected an entire flight. Even after that, at random times it (sometimes it’s fine) it’ll just disconnects the keyboard. I then have to unplug the keyboard then plug it back in , and all is fine. But if I have it plugged in from the get go, it’ll disconnect after I look at a few screens, like the map, or the store pretty much every time I start MSFS. Not always (and not each time I switch menus), but more often than not. This all started for me SU10 if I remember correctly. It’s def not as bad as getting a CTD, I’ve learned to plug and unplug that usb cord without even looking now.

Similar issue, although not exactly the same

My wireless keyboard looses its connection every time I completely quit the MSFS application and launch it again. This includes relaunching due to CTD crashes. As described in the original post, the only way to reconnect the keyboard is to unplug and replug the USB wireless dongle. The slight difference to the original post is that my keyboard will stay connected as long as the MSFS application stays open, even if the xbox is shut off to sleep mode, as long as MFSF is open in the background memory. I do not need to reconnect the keyboard for every new flight. It is only a complete shut down of the MSFS application that causes the keyboard to loose its connection.
System: Xbox Series X
MSFS Version: 1.29.30.0

Not relevant.

1 Like