Internet speed drops from 60 to 5 mbps as soon as the sim starts on my pc and stays that way until quitting the sim

As the topic states the sim instantly kills my internet speed preventing me from using photogrammetry. Only happens on my brand new pc and only in msfs, not other games or apps. does not happen on my series X in the same room. Both are connected using Ethernet

1 Like

Could it be that the game/sim is using 55mbps and this is nominal.

It only does it with the pc, the series x is unaffected. Both are using the same router, both using Ethernet. The downloads in sim are also affected making it take literally all day or more to download a world update. Again only on pc. All downloads on the series x are quick.

Ahh sorry, seems odd, I have no idea about X-Box but on a PC it seems rational that using bandwidth would reduce the overall availability while testing.

I have seen this before in my world of IT, where a user was using a cross-over CAT5 cable, instead of a straight-through type.
Try switching the cables over from your xbox, and see if you get the same problem.

1 Like

Have you checked your PC for download bandwidth settings?
Under “Update & Security”, Delivery Optimization", “Advanced Options”, “Download Settings”

This behaviour seems really quite odd. I just did a test flight across London with photogrammetry turned on. My total network load during the flight was really quite low the vast majority of the time - not even 2 Mbps. I had one short burst where it sat around 25 Mbps while I flew over an area I don’t usually cross, so maybe it was downloading some photogrammetry. This would suggest that MSFS should work perfectly well on a 50Mbps connection and is unlikely to steal almost all of it. Can I suggest doing a flight with the Resource monitor running (Task Manager, Performance Tab open Resource Monitor at the bottom), select the network tab and look at the network activity to see what processes are consuming network? I’m also not sure its a good idea to try to run a speedtest tool at the same time as a high performance simulator, there is every opportunity for the two things to clash with each other and report false results. So, I think you should be trying to find out if your network connection is actually saturated when MSFS is running without running any other network load (ideally turn off every other device connected to your router). Perhaps more in the weeds this sounds like a weird networking problem - has your new PC got the right ethernet drivers and are they on default settings (which should be fine), and no QoS set in the router or anything like that which might massively limit the bandwidth available? Also perhaps worth turning off your Anti-Virus for a brief test just in case its doing something horrible to the network connection. If you have WiFi on the PC it would be worth trying that - it should be worse, but it might just be different and work properly.

Thanks, just saw this. I’ll give all that a go in the am and report back.

I have the exact same issue.
My internet connection is 2.5Gb on fiber, via router I have 1Gb wired connection to my gaming PC which runs MSFS.
Before starting MSFS speedtest shows 800-900Mbs up/down speed, same after closing MSFS.
When MSFS runs it drops to 10Mbs down and 1Mbs (!!!) upload speed. Vatsim connection, browser disconnects due to slow speed…I am really struggling here to get any idea what the hell can cause this issue and only with MSFS.

Hello! As I have same issue, just wondering if you have been able to solve it? If yes, maybe some hint what was causing the issue?
Thanks!

I changed my internet account to one with more bandwidth.

1 Like

Hello! As I have same issue, just wondering if you have been able to solve it? If yes, maybe some hint what was causing the issue?
Thanks!

I too am now experiencing this baffling issue after a reinstall, which took over 36 hours at 7Mbps download speed. My PC is on a wired gigabit connection to AT&T gigabit fiber, and before launching MSFS Speedtest shows 900+ Mbps down and up both. After launching MSFS, that same test shows 8 Mbps down and 0.14 up, and while flying I’ll get the low bandwidth warning. All other wired devices test at the expected 900+ Mbps down and up while MSFS is running, so it’s only affecting this one system. About 20 seconds after quitting MSFS, speeds return to normal. Defender is disabled, firewall on or off makes no difference, setting a data usage limit in MSFS has no effect, wired or on wifi it’s the same. Even with online functionality turned off I still have the issue. I’ve never seen this happen before and am stumped. And as far as I can tell, it seems to have started with the reinstall, which perhaps tellingly also never got above 7-8 Mbps while downloading. This has pretty much killed my MSFS usage until I sort this out.

what operating system do you have? I had/have the issue on win11. I still believe win11 wants to prioritize certain applications and blocks the bandwidth.
My PC is an HP Omen desktop and it has as well a performance booster application where internet traffic can be prioritized, I try to disable this.
I had the issue in the past (did win11 reinstall) that solved the problem, now I have it again, but not so significant, only at PC startup for a minute or so.

I set all MSFS2020 options back to standard and the problem was solved
I donnot know with setting cause the problem but I am happy now