Interview with Jorg Neumann (Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator) on future updates and plans, AI, the airport gateway, the Xbox version, the Garmin, and a lot more

When you consider that the XBox hardware is beefier than what most people have in their PC (outside of real hardcore PC gamers and simmers use) and that the XBox doesn’t have all the overhead and thousands of background processes that Windows does, I’d wager the performance on XBox will be better than on PC. I doubt they’ll hit 60fps, but they should get much more consistent frame rates.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised, especially if they implement dynamic resolution, which is pretty common on consoles.

1 Like

My take on this statement is somewhat different than yours.

My take is that he is referring to the possibility of Asobo making a “study level” aircraft, or ORBYX type of scenery, or things of that nature.
That he does not want to do.
He does not want Asobo to make the more advanced stuff, which would obviously cause the developers of those types of product to shut down, and quite certainly alienate a very large number of users in the sim community.
He openly states that he does indeed realize that these developers rely on the platform for their livelihood, and he has zero intention of stopping that.

He wants to keep MSFS to the level it basically is now, but ironing all these kinks and bugs out, so that the sim looks and works as expected, and at the same time, actually make it much easier for third party developers to be able to work with the MSFS platform.

The things to be fixed could quite possibly be the concerns you have with the map.
If a support request has already been entered, an accompanying post in the Bugs & Issues section explaining the issue should be created as well, so it could be voted up .

You are right, I’m sure Asobo and Microsoft will and have admitted to getting some things wrong on release. I thought we were passed this now, why is this being brought up again?

What does this have to do with this interview which was wide ranging and passionate from both sides I might add and gives me every confidence the product is moving in the right direction.

3 Likes

Please allow my throwing my 2 cents:

It depends whether you’re considering FS2020 is a simulator built around a market place, or a market place built into a simulator, although in both cases, the bulk of the revenue stream is the market place which might lead some thinking the only things that will matter SDK wise are things contributing to make things that sell, which usually on console games are good looking stuff you can brag with in your clan (even in FPS they’ve departed from differentiating weapons specific abilities to good looking wardrobes and decals instead, with a few weapon advantage here or there - BF franchise for example, I played all of them on Xbox, PS3 and PS4).

But it might be not enough sometimes and some answers are ambiguous enough to spread some doubt on the real target audience and what to expect on the PC side.

For example:
Let’s talk about LOD

Yet during the last Q&A it was as-if the LOD question was never brought up before, but this topic has been discussed and analyzed a lot and can’t be ignored like this (you can search my posts and you’ll find my Zendesk report numbers and my illustrated documentation to get started).

Another one in relation with the last Q&A:
Force feedback support - #107 by Steinways

Yet during the last Q&A it was as-if “What it is about force feedback” although this 250+ votes topic exists since September 20, let alone my comments explaining there is a difference between rumbling (XInput) and force feedback (DirectInput). This is what makes you think the simulation is developed for XBox and the PC version is just a by-product.

Having said this, there are other items I’ve submitted for example which are making progress in a good direction, albeit some slowly, so there is no denying the vote and report system is working to some extent.

You might be right, nevertheless:
Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1) Explained

As a matter of fact, you might want to note this is a very old bug well known since FS9.

For example, a quick search and you find posts about this dating back from 2004!

And a bug corrected IIRC in P3D2.5 or P3D3, and maybe FSX-SE too.

His memories are right in my opinion for 2 reasons: these simulators were incrementally building upon their previous versions, while FS2020 is cutting back on some of these, and, they were most often than not backward compatible with most existing add-ons.

However there is also a striking difference between FSX launch and FS2020 launch to me: for the former, Microsoft invited the whole 3rd party developers (nearly all of us) to Seattle prior the FSX launch to discuss with the developers and plan ahead with the help of them telling us their vision. For the later, they’ve invited YouTube bloggers first instead…

Some call it insomnia as well :joy:

This is definitely obvious the whole team is committed and struggling with simmers like us too! I sincerely agree with your statement about the commitment and the constant flow of updates which I’ve only seen before with X-Plane only. I can’t wait helping and contributing to the success of the franchise because supporting all simulation platforms is good for all simmers and for the flight simulation genre.

3 Likes

are you my brother from a different mother ? :smile:

So RXP products for MSFS 2020 are coming soon?

2 Likes

Some great thoughts above.

My take on Jorgs interview

a) No study level aircraft that is for 3rd party’s to develop

b) Xbox provides a platform for younger people to become interested in this genre

c) Integrity of partnerships to the platform

In regards to

a) I am genuinely disappointed and I would not class myself as a simmer merely someone who has an intellectual interest in certain fly by wire planes. We now know following from the interview that for instance the default A320 will be the Xbox version

b) He stated there are no 'f’olders ’ on the Xbox ,that’s correct and that would at first instance preclude 3rd party’s developing for the Xbox on to MSFS on the Xbox platform. In my view there would be a way to overcome the normal commercial model that prevails on Xbox development. Let 3rd party developers subcontract in through Asobo and Microsoft so that they can still get the models etc on to Xbox by allowing their models to be integral to the base game on Xbox platform ( the IP and commercial model is not difficult to work out ) and benefit from sales on a commercial split with the head contractors (Microsoft and Asobo) on sales of their models ie its better to sell to 18 million potential customers on Xbox than through the normal sales routes. Granted the Xbox platform will demand that the focus be high graphic fidelity rather than systems and physics of planes but not all players on the platform will want a low systems or physics on that platform. They will wish to know they are flying the real plane. not an imitation of it. A very large % on the Xbox will pay premium for first class models to be incorporated into the base game. here is one .

1 Like

And they were still full of bugs, issues, and incomplete functionality despite that. I was there on day one (for some earlier, due to reviews. For instance FS2004 was my first professional printed review) and I remember quite well.

The fact that MS worked with third parties very intensively for this sim is just a fact. They may not have initially contacted all, but there are a lot of third-party devs out there, and there has been a big lapse in the relationships due to MS being out of the market for over a decade.

It’s really unsurprising that they marketed their product in what’s the industry-standard way of marketing a video game nowadays (IE: “youtube bloggers” or however you wanna call press and YouTubers).

I can honestly relate because the precedence often given to YouTubers and “influencers” over written press instinctively bothers me, but ultimately, I admit it’s not a very rational reaction, and developers simply do what they think is best to give their product visibility.

On this we can agree, even if I’m not sure “all” simulation platforms are worth supporting nowadays, especially with certain smaller devs stretching themselves quite thin and some basically demanding that third-parties keep older sims relevant nearly on their own. But to each their own on that. As long as it’s good for your business, fantastic. :smiley:

There will never, ever be a commercial flight simulator with study-level aircraft as default, for reasons that go much beyond Jorg’s take. Thinking that there should be is incredibly naive. The level of work required to create a good study-level aircraft is pretty much comparable with that of a full game, which is why they cost an eye and a half. There’s also a serious issue of accessibility, not to mention that the actual interest in study-level aircraft is very, very niche.

6 Likes

I don’t know, you’ll have to show me some evidence please :joy:

I was referring only to some bugs reports making progress. For the rest I rather not comment :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Yeah it really wasn’t finished, if it was then World Update USA wouldn’t have been an update it would have been released with the simulator not added on after.

Considering that no previous simulator has the level of world detail of the base Microsoft Flight Simulator released in August (not even close), this is a very strange take.

The World Updates go much, much beyond what any other commercial flight simulator offers at release or at any time in their life cycle. There is absolutely no logical reason to infer that they should be part of the base package or it’s “unfinished.”

3 Likes

Did you even read the article?

Jorg specifically stated that these world updates are mainly driven by when Bing gets new data.
When that happens, they put a big crunch on to develop that and import it to the sim.
That is one of the big reasons they are working directly with Bing employees to make this process better.

2 Likes

So if it was “finshed” it should have been advertised as " Microsoft Flight Simulator Deluxe Complete Package Finished Addition With No Need To Update gb’s Of Extra Content Whether It’s Free Or Not " IMO something that needs bug fixes and updates every Thursday is not finished, no matter what level of detail. Or it should have been advertised as "the base package needing improvement, so customers knew what to expect. No?

It was never advertised like that. Not even once. Incidentally, no one “needs” any add-ons. The simulator’s scenery is perfectly enjoyable in its original state. World Updates are a bonus, and a very, very big one.

All complex simulators released in the past two decades needed that, simply by virtue of the complexity of the genre.

The only difference is that previous sims didn’t get updated as often and as quickly as this one because their teams weren’t as dedicated and possibly didn’t have the same resources as their disposal.

3 Likes

Then why is it called a World “Update” not a World “Bonus”? You go ahead and stand up for Jorg, I’m going to maintain my opinion that it was not ready and pushed out early.

You’re free to have your opinion. It’s called an update because it updates the game (duh). It’s also a bonus because this kind of free content addition is absolutely unprecedented in flight simulators, despite the fact that the base package was already way superior in terms of scenery. It’s also very, very rare even in the gaming industry as a whole. Even when it happens in general gaming, it’s usually short-lived.

I’m quite happy to give credit where due since some won’t. Thanks. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I disagree, I was not part of the alfa/beta, I’m guessing because my graphics card at the time did not meet the minimums, but I still wished I could have been a part of it. I have not fired up any of my old simms since August 18, 2020 as I am truly enjoying this sim and am not looking back. I also love the improvements they are pushing out and I am patiently waiting for the Garmin improvements now to hit later this month. It’s a great time to be a flight simmer!

4 Likes

I’m loving the hell out of MSFS as well. Don’t get me wrong. But I still thing it was far too incomplete and too full of bugs at launch to be considered a good product. It took them a couple of months to really iron out the bad wrinkles and make it presentable.

But despite that, 6 months later, it’s still full of nasty bugs and lacking what most simmers would consider to be basic functionality that every sim in the last 30 years has had.

1 Like

I suggest replacing “most simmers” with “I”

I guarantee you don’t speak for “most simmers” in this.

It’s your opinion, and it’s fine, but you shouldn’t assume it represents anyone else than yourself.

Absolutely. I’d much rather be along for a slightly bumpy ride (not any bumpier than any previous sims, mind you) than have no ride at all. :joy:

5 Likes

Hearing that the Xbox Series X version will be “virtually indistinguishable from the PC version” is excellent news!!

I wonder if both the Xbox Series X and PC will get Ray Tracing support?:thinking:?