Is a 27 inch monitor too small?

So I have a 27inch 1440p monitor but was interested to know what size others have and if you could wider 27inch too small?

In a Sim I think bigger is better.
I upgraded my old 32 with a 49 ultra wide

1 Like

I have two 24inch monitors, one for the simulator and the other for maps, charts, …

I have a 27" 1440px too and I’m very happy with it. Everything is clear and I have a decent field of view.

3 Likes

I send my picture to my 65in TV using one of these… https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SR1S2JL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For me , it depends on how close you are sitting in front of the screen . I had a 32inch + LCD , and I couldn’t hack sitting in front of it ( I sit at my desk , approx 40 to 45 inches from the screen ) .
I dropped down in size to a 24.5 inch gaming monitor ( IIyama ), and find it perfect .

1 Like

I use 4 monitors : two 27" 2560x1440 for MSFS and two 22" 1920x1080 for add on ( Navigraph, VPilot, etc…)
As I have windowed MSFS, aircraft cockpit is displayed on both 27" that means I get a black vertical line in front of my cockpit view. Consequently, I have to move the mouse to adjust view as necessary during flights
So I look for an ultra Wide 49" 5120 x1440 monitor to replace both 27" screen
My favorite airplane is TBM930

LG 27GL850-B

LG 27GL850 27’’ UltraGear™️ IPS 1ms Gaming Monitor with G-Sync®️ Compatibility | LG USA
The best screen size for me and without BLB :slight_smile:

I use a 27" 4K monitor, which I’m very happy with. I think its not so much about size, but about how much the size fills the field of view at your preferred distance. I use my monitor to work on as well, with Windows 10 set to 1 to 1 I have it pretty close to my eyes so I can see detail in spreadsheets and stuff. It seems to work pretty well for MSFS immersiveness too. With the eyesight of old age creeping up on me I wouldn’t be able to use a bigger monitor further away, even though I think it would probably feel more realistic. So perhaps depends whether you are creating a dedicated MSFS rig, thinking of building a cockpit and all that, or this is your every day main monitor on a PC you have to do other things on.

2 Likes

Depends on your setup and preferences. I used a 24" screen for about 10 years and recently upgraded, spending far too long trying to decide what was the best option.

In the end I settled on a 2K 27" monitor and it’s great. The only real solution to a screen or your field of view feeling restrictive is to move to VR, I would say. But more horsepower is required.

Bigger can be better but if you don’t want to see the pixels (especially if using the screen for other purposes) you need a high resolution (4K) to keep it crisp, and with that more horsepower.

I tried our 40" TV from the lounge on my big corner desk a few years ago and found it far too big to be comfortable, both with sims and desktop usage.

So a mixture of 27" desktop display and VR is my way forwards.

im running on a 17" laptop! youre fine lmao! i cant wait to get some monitors…

1 Like

Personally I would rather have a decent quality 27in IPS panel at 2k which is a great size/resolution set at a sensible viewing distance, than a much larger screen at the same or lower pixel density that may even be a little to close.

I would actually suggest a good alternative would be to invest in TrackIR to use with a current screen than just buying a bigger screen. Worth noting that if you are considering VR at any point in the future your screen becomes far less a consideration, potentially it could even be detrimental to sim performance.

I started with a 27in monitor but found it was too small for me. So I bought an Ultra HD 40in TV (not 4K) and it works great! I now use the 27in for maps, Pilot2ATC, etc.

If you can swing it, go 49" UW. They’re amazing for this.

Subjective but for me it’s too small. I run on a 48" LG Oled 4K HDR TV so I am spoiled with the immersion. If you have a high end system, the LG Oleds are the way to go.

65 inch OLED TV.

I sit 8 feet from it.
It is about the same as looking at the screen in a Movie Theatre.

1 Like

I’m 6ft from my 65in TV.

7 feet from 43 inch LG 4K TV, sweet

I fly on a 17" Laptop Asus ROG Strix & for me it’s perfect :grinning:

1 Like

27" 2k display about 2 ft in front of me. Works just great for me.

Was interested about how much of your viewing angle different screens and distances take up. (I think my maths is right)

So for my set up its 96°.
For the post above mine a 43" screen at 7 foot would be taking up 54° of view (example used as the data is at hand).

So a smaller screen but closer would fill in more of your vision.