Is it correct to say MSFS graphic quality is limited to what Xbox can do?

You don’t have to dumb down the sim to work on phones if it’s streaming. That’s the whole point of streaming, that the local hardware isn’t important.

1 Like

Undoubtedly, the xbox update had a major impact on many areas of msfs. Not everyone has benefited in the same way so far. But I am sure that the developers did everything within their means to offer every player on every system the best possible experience.

2 Likes

I say that because when they 1st started to redo the weather, what was it su5 or 6, they stated in one of the official announcements That they had begun to change the weather system and that it would be a long process not something that would be accomplished overnight.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s so much blame but … I’m not sure how to put it exactly but it seems to me a system based on ultra fast GDDR6 16gb and a system that can be expanded to a typical max of 128gb DDR4/5* need to be addressed differently and not shoehorned together.

*with additional VRAM availible

2 Likes

Slay the one? You made comments stated w/ authority, I simply asked you where you got this from, that’s all. The simple answer could have been: “I’ve gathered it from the various interviews etc.” No need to turn this into something outright nasty and snarky. READ the question next time before unloading this type of diatribe.

3 Likes

This makes sense in terms of the basic processes used to generate clouds and weather. Right now all users have some control over volumetric cloud density/complexity, correct? Low/Medium/High/Ultra. It seems plausible to add another level above that provided the same rendering method is use, yes? Perhaps that is where we will see improvements in cloud depiction for machines that can run it.

I’ve got news for ya, weather often doesn’t match the METAR in real life.

2 Likes

I would never develop such a heavy simulator for a console, as it will never be as powerful and versatile as a PC for a simulation environment (at least as of today). But it´s true that console have some advantages:

1. From a technical perspective it´s a closed environment for development. Capabilities, capacity and performance baseline is the same for all users

2. It brings new customers. Either if they stay on console or they move to PC later on they are still going to be your customers

Provided that no features are limited to PC users because Xbox users can´t have them and provided that we always have the freedom to tune settings to increase details if our systems allow that I have no problem at all to have Xbox guys onboard. It should be room for everyone here and devs should take care of both types of platforms as both allow the game to continue alive.

Cheers

3 Likes

Only the development shop can answer that question. They don’t post here.

1 Like

They need a specific Xbox flight simulator console.

1 Like

Is it correct to say MSFS graphic quality is limited to what Xbox can do?

I wouldn’t say that, exactly.

But what I would say is that when SU5 was released, things that were not pear shaped were suddenly shaped like pears.

Now you might argue that it is pure coincidence that SU5 was also the debut of the XBox version, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

Biggest gripe for me was the terrain caching. A setting we didn’t have pre-SU5 because we didn’t need it. SU5 broke it utterly, then a patch later they gave us a slider. But even at Ultra it isn’t the same as it was pre-SU5, and when I look back to videos I shot in August 2020, and I see no stuttering whatsoever when I cast my view about, I see nothing that convinces me otherwise.

The sim is still managing memory, and my 32GB/24GB VRAM system flutters around at a soft cap that it won’t breach. My layman assumption here is that if I am monitoring my usage here in dev. mode, and as I look about I see memory usage fluctuating, if it ever drops then something got unloaded. In theory it should go up until such time as everything in the scene is loaded, then stop or at least no significant changes being made. But it doesn’t do that.

You can also sometimes catch objects that were previously in view are suddenly gone, then a split second get loaded again. And this isn’t a LOD thing as they are well within my vicinity. It could be a collection of buildings on the ground to my left that spontaneously appear again.

4 Likes

Lets not forget its RAM + VRAM for series x - it is a combined pool.

This is also why in my opinion so much third party sceneries ctd or grind xbox performance to a halt.

I think that is the crux of the matter, and why we find ourselves in the position we are in. The X has 16GB of RAM, and this has to be shared between programs loaded, and data for the GPU.

Try running MSFS on a PC with 16GB, and an integrated GPU.

My understanding is that any plane launched on the Marketplace has to work on both platforms? That could effectively make the XBox a handbrake. If the dev. is chasing the Marketplace they may need to make compromises to get it to work on both. Or forego the marketplace entirely, and release it on other storefronts with no such restriction in place.

Going back to the OP’s original question, remove the “graphic quality” from the question, and the question has more relevance.

Bit of background (Boring to most so please commence with the next Paragraph).
Old time Videogame player here… since my old Binatone ‘Pong game, with state of the art graphics’, through ZX81 (amazing cube like graphics)…on and on…console, to pc…to hybrid Risc based hardware, basically…An old gaming dude.

In days Lonnng since past… a game, was available for ALL platforms…Msx, Pc, Amiga, Dragon (Lots of you are probably scratching their heads and thinking…What??)
The point is…
We did’nt big up 1 particular platform at the cost of another.
This…is the ‘Flavour’ i take (Rightly or wrongly) from discussions like this.

This flight Sim (On an SX) to me, is AMAZING!!
Seen it run on a friends ‘Top spec Alienware’ setup too and that also AMAZING!!
The Devs are busy…constantly doing stuff but ultimately…
I ask myself, just how much longer, this Sim could continue, when apparently satisfying only the highest, Elitist tier Pc owners?

I do except that perhaps, its not optimal on the top of the toppist most (Toppist! (sorry ppl)) able Pc but i for 1, am glad to have seen such a wonderful sim on my Console.
Were seeing more and more ‘Cross platform’ and every option out there, Pc or varied Consoles (i know its only Xbox at the mo console wise)…
So some sort of compromise, i assume , surely, has to be reached.

Never like this, mines better than yours diatribe. It’s a toxic environment.

I think both Asobo and Msoft are going to get there with this Sim, just enjoy what you have.

3 Likes

That doesn’t really have anything to do with the argument, and is a fiction seemingly invented by those that are merely content with the way things are.

The argument is really the sim, in many aspects, is less now than it was at launch. That’s not elitist, that’s being critical. I don’t see myself as elitist, not one bit.

This is why I have advocated that users of MSFS make as many videos as possible, upload them to somewhere like YouTube, as they can be used to counter arguments of “Well, it’s always been like that.” or similar. Cloud quality is a perfect example of this, and I have many videos from around launch that look better than what we have now.

What I would agree with though is that the sim, in a broader sense, is in a better place than it was at launch. We are on the right trajectory, as it were. It’s just some key areas that have regressed, and with any luck SU10 will address some of these.

3 Likes

That’s really the issue isn’t it. I think it was brilliant to incorporate Xbox though I have no idea how many Xbox users there are versus PC users, and moreover how many Xbox users will stay with it, or get hooked and move over to hardware that expands more frequently in capability.

1 Like

The Xbox Series X features 16 GB GDDR6 (320-bit bus), 10 GB of which run at 560 GB/s, while the remaining 6 GB run at 336 GB/s .

1 Like

100% concur.

2 Likes

Hmm, the search engine search I ran earlier said 12GB for the X. Found out why, the link I found was referring to the Xbox One X, not the Xbox Series X, and it does indeed have 16GB.

Incidentally, on that search I saw some mention of some developers box where you can expand the memory. I wonder how much those things are?

Xbox Series X Dev Kit Teardown Reveals 40GB GDDR6 RAM | Tom's Hardware.

If only MS had not cheaped out on the specs. and put 32GB, plus some discrete VRAM in there.

Yep…i can now seen i put my big foot in my mouth…

No, i did’nt mean Fsim was Elitist (Though being that way…would be nice, eg…i would love to borrow my friends setup for a week :slight_smile: )

And… i except that perhaps elements of the game right now…might not be the same as when it was only 1 platform only.

I guess the grist of what i was (badly) trying to say, was that having seen all kinds of… efforts…abominations and ba stuff gaming wise… i believe this is a Sim worth of following and PATIENCE with, because things will always change and me being a positive type, believe, this will, in a good way in the end.

1 Like