Is it correct to say MSFS graphic quality is limited to what Xbox can do?

Agreed. I don’t see myself going back to XP11, that’s for sure. XP12, that’s to be seen, but for now this sim ticks relevant boxes for me.

1 Like

The dumb down happened not when Xbox version was released, but when they rewrote the graphics for performance reasons. That was going to happen Xbox or not. They took certain liberties when they first released on PC to get it out the door, but, as Jorg and Seb have said, they had to rethink their strategy as they learned more about how all the pieces of the system worked together over time and as they added more and more features that sucked more and more performance. IOW, they had to re-strategize how to push the graphics to the screen as they learned more.

Software development, any development for that matter, is an inexact science. It’s so complicated, there’s no real way to gauge what performance will be like until you do it, at which point, you realize certain things, and rewrite it as you can to improve upon what you built.

As someone else noted above, they are in the middle of rewriting both the cloud display and the whole weather engine in general (two totally different things). They are not done.

As far as wondering if Xbox is limiting graphics quality, I don’t know, I’m not a graphics developer. But, I doubt it very much. Xbox has excellent graphics card capabilities as I understand it. The limit of the memory available on Xbox is also on PC, as you’ll note from all the people complaining about performance who are using 15 year old PC’s, which, Asobo also has to support.

The better question would be, is graphic quality being limited because Asobo has to support 15 year old PC’s? (I’m exaggerating a tad there I think, but there is a thread started by somebody using a 3rd gen Intel processor who’s all bummed out about his performance, so I’m not far off.)

4 Likes

I remember that thread. Even if that were the case, supporting older hardware isn’t the same as not supporting high end hardware.

Some of you may be aware of a YT channel where they attempt to de-res games to the point where they are barely recognisable. That was simply a case of switching things off, and has no effect on high end hardware.

Where this could be an issue would be if they have the option of supporting a new CPU instruction set, but for some reason they can’t as it would mean the sim would no longer run on old CPU’s. That could have a negative affect on higher end computers, where taking advantage of those new instructions could yield better performance.

1 Like

Ummmm.
I could imagine this as becoming an uncontrollable rabbit hole.

Next month an ‘X’ capable motherboard comes out…better do a specific version for this i guess!!!..Oh Goodness!! Nvidia have pulled this out… On and On and On…

Here’s some proof that currently the sim is accessing higher VRAM levels as demanded. This has not changed for me since SU5 you can see there is ~22Gb of combined RAM and VRAM being access (for MSFS + OS and LNM):
https://i.postimg.cc/0x4pf5dF/KLAS-VRAM.png

1 Like

So that’s a 21:9 ultrawide image. It’s using more VRAM because the resolution is higher. To see the behaviour of caching you can’t really use a static image. You would need to watch that scale, or better the dev. mode FPS view, and observe what happens as you move your view around.

But for sure you have exceeded what an Xbox Series X has.

I stated that question more to point out the hyperbole without technical support or knowledge of what’s going on that prompted the asking of the topic question. Not that it’s a real question…

1 Like

One more who is happy that 12GB VRam, for which he paid between 500 and 700 bucks, is no longer used.

But here’s a tip, it’s a good spot for the rolling cache.
At least it’s now not completely useless.

Why the constant down on what SX doe’s? We know PC’s are nearly infinity expandible, this harks bark to the whole ‘flavour’ aspect of this thread that i commented on earlier.

I’d love on my SX to plug in a new gpu or at a whim… add an enormous amount of memory.

Sounds to me that somebody resents a pleb with limited funds having the ordacity to enjoy a program as that person does… as a fraction of his hardware price.
Toxic.

1 Like

The rolling cache is only good for caching photogrammetry and will have nothing to do with VRAM, AFAIK.

1 Like

If you move the rolling cache to the remaining, useless Vram, yes. :wink:

Pc’s are like the Blamming broom that im proud of…even though i’ve replaced the handle and head 20x

I think there is probably a high likely hood that next year we might see a new “Pro” version of the Xbox announced / released.

This is a Microsoft Exclusive title and I do imagine Microsoft would want this running well on their system.

We can only guess what the specs might be, I’d probably assume a minimum of 24gb of Ram and maybe 20 odd Tflops. They do love talking about Tflops… maybe a Cpu boost to 4.2ghz.

I mean this is all speculation, but i think those specs would greatly help both the Xbox and PC community alike as far as this Sim goes.

Lets also not forget that a console is a more resource efficient platform than a PC too so direct comparisons on specification can be quite useless…

1 Like

In answerr to the OPs question, the answer is “no”.

See this in particular, which makes it very clear:

And every dev Q&A since the xbox announcement makes this clear.

And the PC version has sliders for the graphics settings that xbox doesn’t

And the PC version can be pushed to 400 LOD if you want

And you can increase the render scaling beyond 100% in the PC version

And the PC version has VR

And…

It’s not even a discussion really

4 Likes

I don’t quite know what you mean by “cloud depiction” - perhaps you’re referring to the quality of clouds - but the Series X version looks beyond amazing IMO. Almost on par with high end PCs I would say…almost.

Clouds are resource hungry and even cause frame drops on PC depending on what kind of cloud formations you have in the sky and the amount of scenery being rendered around your plane - that is, unless you’re packing a bazooka of a setup like a 3090 coupled with a blazing fast CPU and lots of RAM.

For the most part, my game runs at a steady 30fps with stutters here and there. I think the day they resolve stutters completely everybody will be so much happier :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

There’s no pro system coming next year although there will be a hardware revision which means less power consumption, more efficient components and less heat generation. That’s about all you can expect.

We’ve barely seen any native true current gen games on the Series X - what makes you say they will release more powerful hardware? SX has more than enough juice but there’s plenty of room for optimizations. Plenty…

The Xbox Series X is approximately as powerful as a 3700x, 16GB ram, 3070 PC.

That probably represents a higher PC specification than the majority of PC users have so its simply false to say that the Xbox itself is soley resposible.

Asobo/Microsoft have a commitment to make this sim play on both console and on a range of PC hardware.

A PC user who is still rocking a 1080Ti or 2070 has a PC that will underperform relative to an Xbox Series X. This is even more true if they still have their games installed on a mechanical HDD.

So the real question is, ‘Are Asobo developing this sim to be compatible with as much hardware as possible, rather than focusing on only the highest end PC users?’.

The answer is obviously that is what they are doing, and it’s the correct decision.

3 Likes

I say it because it was year 3 with the Xbox One that the One X was announced and subsequently released within 12 months.

And yes there is no real current “Next Gen” content out yet, and the reason really for that is because the Series X despite being rather powerful still doesn’t have the horsepower to run “Next Gen” features like real time Ray Tracing in any meaningful Fps / Resolution etc.

So in reality even though this is almost year 3 of “Next Gen” all we’re getting is still the current generation of games with a slightly higher fidelity in 4k.

FS2020 to me is a next gen title, and on Xbox we definitely have a horsepower issue with the memory at the very least.

Indiafoxtecho have had lots of issues getting the F-35 to meet the memory requirements of the series X, and have now resorted to an entirely separate build for the Xbox. This in short is not sustainable, tedious and time consuming for a small third party team. and it will absolutely affect the type of content we see appearing on the marketplace if not addressed.

Microsoft need to do something without a doubt.
The console has sufficient power for FS2020 for now, just not the Memory.

Edit* lets not forget the Series S, that thing is going to be the real handbrake…

4 Likes

I feel for anyone who actually believes this to be true.
Quite ironic how many SX users here are dissatisfied with MSFS performance and are hoping for an even more powerful “pro” XBox console to drop if the Series X could simply outperform the cards mentioned above. :rofl:
Amazing how many folks greatly underestimate the ironed out mature driver established 1080ti.:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Bugs in SU9 are causing some of that, and yes my i9 3090 setup is feeling that. I had to drop TLOD from 400 to 300 to get the same performance on the ground, at larger airports at least.

1 Like