Is it possible to set the HOTAS Warthog to thrust reverse?

I have a TM HOTAS Warthog. This throttle has detents where you pull UP on the two throttle levers and pull back to IDLE CUTOFF! Was wondering if this can be set to thrust reversal on the A32NX or other planes.

Yeah, you can. If you use the A32NX Experimental version, you can recalibrate the positioning of the throttle with what you want the throttle in the cockpit would be. So you can set forward thrust to a specific range in your HOTAS, and anything under the detent to be set to Reverse.

He’s using the thrustmaster TCA quadrant here, but the concept should be the same with other thottles with detents. Or even without.

The cut-off detents on the HOTAS Warthog are actually buttons and not part of the axis, that’s why you can’t calibrate the detent. You have to either assign the buttons to Toggle Reverse Thrust, in which case you pull on to the detents to go into reverse thrust mode and then push back forward to increase the amount of reverse thrust, or assign them to Reduce Throttle, in which case you leave the throttle on the detent and will gradually go to full reverse thrust.

But you can also unbind the detent button, and use it as the neutral point for the axis. So anything behind that detent will become a reverse thrust. But since it’s not bound, the detent button doesn’t do anything.

If we’re talking about the “Idle/OFF” detent on the HOTAS Warthog, there is nothing behind the detent, the axis ends just before the detent. Are you perhaps talking about the optional MIL/MAX detent that can be setup at the forward limits of the throttle range?

In that case, why not just use a button with the thumb to hold the reverse thrust? Then push the throttle forward to increase the reverse thrust, then when finished pull back to idle, release the thumb button and move the throttle forward for forward thrust again.

I use the slider button when I was using my X56 to hold the reverse thrust. Same thing, Pull back to idle on landing, slide the switch to on position which will engage the reverse thrust, then push the throttle forward to increase the reverse thrust, then pull back to idle, slide off the switch and push throttle forward for forward thrust again.

Why don’t you use the ‘toggle throttle reverse thrust’ command? Then you can use the throttle to modulate reverse thrust without the need to additionally hold a button down.

Yeah, that works too, press it once, engage reverse, push forward to increase reverse thrust. Then pull back to idle, push the button again, and it’ll be on forward thrust.

That’s more in line with RW reverser ops as well.
Unlock/lock the reverser and use the throttle/reverse lever to modulate reverse thrust.

I was using another button on the throttle to toggle the thrust reverser as you stated. I was just curious as to how to use the space behind the detent to “pull” the throttles back.

Hello, I have Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog throttle and was able to set Reverse Thrust when you lift the levers and pull back right to the end with a bit of throttleConfiguration.ini tweak.
Follow these steps:

1. Locate this file throttleConfiguration.ini found here:

Microsoft Store Version

The folder can be found here:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\flybywire-aircraft-a320-neo\work
OR

Steam Version

The folder can be found here:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\flybywire-aircraft-a320-neo\work

To setup or correct throttle calibration values directly we follow these steps which are detailed below.

1. Shut down Microsoft Flight Simulator.

2. Locate your “work*” folder.

3. Locate the “ThrottleConfiguration.ini” file.

4. Create a backup copy of the “ThrottleConfiguration.ini” file.

5. Delete or Edit the “ThrottleConfiguration.ini” file as required!

6. Start Microsoft Flight Simulator and test.

7. Set your detents as usual from FBW flypad EFB

8. Go into your MSFS CONTROLS OPTIONS and set as follows shown on the screenshot below.

Separate your throttle levers 1 and 2 first Bind THROTTLE 1 DECREASE by scanning such that when your lever and pull back it should recognise 29 / 30, and push it back forward the number should stop flashing then press VALIDATE. Do the same process for the other lever Bind THROTTLE 2 DECREASE

1. Tweak your ThrottleConfiguration.ini as shown here to FALSE:

Load your sim and test it should work fine hope that helps.

4 Likes

Awesome work @ProfuseSpider33 . Please Moderators sticky this for us.

I dont have this “ThrottleConfiguration.ini in my work folder.

You need to run the FBW calibration app in the ipad thing first. Either that or just create a notepad txt file and rename it to ThrottleConfiguration.ini, copy and paste the info above into it and place it into the folder.

1 Like

After a long while I found the solution that worked for me after looking it up in part on another FS forum so I must give credit to Jedi928.
I added steps 4-8 and finally had success.
This applies to the FBW A32NX development version as of 10th January 2022. I’m sure it will work with the other versions.

Open MSFS control options

STEP1 :
Assign the Warthog levers to the TROTTLE 1 AXIS and THROTTLE 2 AXIS

STEP 2 :
Assign the lifting reversers detents on the levers to THROTTLE 1 DECREASE and THROTTLE 2 DECREASE

STEP 3:
Start a flight with a FBW A32NX.

STEP 4:
GO TO FBW EFB

STEP 5:
open SETTINGS

STEP 6:
go to SIM OPTIONS

STEP 7:
go to DETENTS then click on CALIBRATE

STEP 8:
SET ‘‘REVERSER ON AXIS’’ TO OFF