Is it possible to update Bing Scenery within FS2020 to reflect airport changes in real world?

Hi,
At the time I purchased and downloaded MSFS2020, the default Bing scenery of my local airport was rather outdated. The new Bing Maps image on the internet shows our airport upgrades but MSFS still shows the old outdated image. I have tried turning rolling cache on and off, including deleting the existing cache and adding a new cache area with MSFS but still the old image remains. Anyone know if it is possible to refresh/update the imagery to display updated Bing images?

1 Like

No, it’s not possible in a legal way from a users perspective. Better remove the sentence of a certain mod because it’s legality is questionable from a usage point of view.

Only Asobo and the Bing team have the power to update tiles, so you have to wait for them :wink:

1 Like

At this time, it isn’t possible natively in MSFS. Some World Updates will get some updated satellite images and airport updates. The Bing maps in MSFS are a snapshot from several years ago.

The developers have indicated that maps would be updated but no time frame given.

2 Likes

This is a common issue, but unfortunately there is more to it than just applying the latest
Google or Bing maps. There are many, many airports that have out-of-date overlays on the Bing maps images, in the interest of giving us details like taxiways, fueling points, fences, identification signs, parking, ai traffic and so on.

Quite often a default minor airport has been converted “robotically” from say the old FSX version to run in MSFS.

In these cases the buildings, runways etc are coded in the “Official” folder version of the scenery and it is not easy to change them. That scenery will appear to the flyer (you and me) as a sort of overlay on Bing maps, but it might be old.

Sometimes there is no conversion from an old airport, and we just see whatever in seen by the satellite when it flew over to make the current Bing map, so a pretty rough old image albeit fairly up to date. For little backwoods airports this is OK but not for big mainstream ones.

Now, enter all these brilliant scenery design fellows, who use CAD-like software to enhance whatever they want, and can produce excellent and complex airports as overlays on the other overlays on the Bing maps.

If you are lucky, someone will have done this to your problem airport and you might get it as payware or freeware to put in the “community” folder as an addon.

But there is another option. We users can make a DIY version of virtually any airport using the Software Development Kit or SDK, or very clever 3rd party software like Airport Design Manager (ADE). By doing this, we can taylor-make details to reality, our own likings, or go back in time etc to make an airport any way we like. You have to have plenty of spare time and patience, and eventually you end up with your own overlay package to put in your “community” folder.

If your airport is perhaps my local homebas, which is YBSU Sunshine Coast in Queensland AU then there is already a good, cheap payware that goes a long way towards actuality, and I have done some SDK and ADE additions to my own taste trom aerial photos which are not of commercial quality but give satisfaction.

DIY scenery is good fun and very satisfying after the initial learning curve.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the replies guys! Yeah it’s not a big deal in scheme of things! Our little airport YMBA has our first full length taxiway… and would be good to use it in MSFS but looks like we will be ‘backtracking’ as has been done since WW2. SideNote: This strip was a large American Airbase in WW2 and has original taxiways still visible. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Aus67,

Would this be of any help to you?

I’m up in QLD as well :+1:t2:

For some reason my post suggesting he look for exactly this in exactly this spot was deleted?

Good one matey, I’ll fly up for a visit in my Tiger Moth later today … please light a fire or something to help me in the dark …

Haha well I never thought that someone has already improved our little airport! I am surprised that anyone else knows of YMBA…its way off the beaten track! Thanks for all of your help!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.