Is my PC good enough for FS2020?

Hello everyone! Thanks for dropping by.

I play MSFS2020 since the release and I remember I used to get 70 - 75 FPS consistently.
I took a year off from the sim and now when I play, I my FPS tops on 60 and usually is between 45 and 58 FPS.

When setting up graphics, using the in game FPS overlay, I was having a Limitation by the Thread, and the gap of millisseconds between GPU and CPU was almost 9ms, I tried getting all settings to Ultra, except for TLOD and OLOD of course, and it still had a gap of 4 to 5ms, I countered that by upscaling 1080p to 135 - 140, so I would be switching between CPU and GPU limitations. But with that my FPS went all the way to 40 - 45.

So that big of a gap made me think, do I need to upgrade my CPU to lower the response from CPU and match the milliseconds of the GPU, or should I just wait for 2024 release in November and see if the sim gets better optimized?

And if so what would be a good CPU for my specs?

My specs:

MOBO: MSi B250 Gaming M3 (MS-7A62)

CPU: Intel i7 6700K

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8gb

RAM: 2x8gb HyperX Fury DDR4 2133Hz

PSU: EVGA 500W

Thanks

FS 2024 will use multithreading more efficiently so the gap between your quad core / 8 thread CPU and modern ones will become even greater.
You can’t really upgrade that PC, even the PSU would be insufficient for modern hardware so nothing can be saved. You should sell it and buy a new one.

1 Like

True, but what they have may work a little better anyway due to this refactoring. I’m certainly holding off upgrading my old 11th gen CPU till 2024 is released.

1 Like

I’d rather have balanced latency with lower FPS than higher FPS with poor latency balance.

If my FPS get too low, then I start reducing both CPU- and GPU-bound graphics options, always trying to maintain the latency balance.

1 Like

Hello friends, can you help me? My configuration is as follows:

• RYZEN 7 5800X
  • 32GB RAM
  • RTX 4060TI (8GB)
  • AORUS ELITE B550
  • NVe 2TB
  • Basic FULL HD monitor

I don’t understand much, but I think my configuration was to give me a good experience with MSFS correct? Or am I wrong? I never got a good balance. I don’t have much installed in my community folder. I only have the Fênix + PMDG + and some backdrops that I bought on Marktplace. After I formatted my PC and installed my SIM again, the feeling I have is that the situation got worse. I even paid for an optimization service and nothing. My graphics settings (terrain and others) don’t exceed 100… anyway, it’s been frustrating, it seems like I’m still using FSX. Any tips or help? Thanks.

Try following this video and see if it helps.

But what if I upgraded my PSU, CPU and MOBO(to be compatible with the new CPU)?
Do you think it would still not be worth it?

Like I mentioned, the gap between CPU and GPU is big, and in order to achieve good performance and balance, I need to lower TLOD and OLOD down to 50 - 70. While my graphics card is capable of handling much more, all settings to Ultra.

Then it doesn’t makes sense to have everything on except LODs.

That’s why I’m thinking my CPU is holding my GPU back, and I need to upgrade it.

Might as well hold on the 2024 release to have as much information as possible to find a new CPU

I think your GPU (especially with its measly 8GB VRAM) is what’s holding you back.

Follow Casorys’ advice and watch that video.

Also the RAM is slow DDR4…
I mean, everything is possible, you could buy a new 800W PSU and an AMD 7000 or Intel 14000 series combo with DDR5 but at that point your RTX 2070 will bottleneck it heavily and you will want to upgrade the GPU as well.
In my opinion it’s better if you sell your PC as it is and buy a new one. Upgrade paths are not viable for your platform and you just have to change all the components.

1 Like

And what components do you recommend for FS?

If you had a choice between a super fast CPU, or a super fast GPU, go with the CPU.

2 Likes

It’s last generation (rapidly becoming obsolete now) but my $300 5800X3D performs pretty well.

I wouldn’t even consider pairing it with a $300 GPU. Then again, I’m running 4K. If I (GASP!) could be happy with 1080p, then a $500 GPU might be OK.

1 Like

Ryzen 7800X3D with 32 GB of DDR5-6000, GPU depending on budget… if limited RTX 4070 otherwise 4080.
It also depends on your screen resolution.

If you’ve been away check your traffic too. SU15 mobbed the CPU load with live traffic.

I got zero traffic showing and I was getting 40 FPS
But I just watched easyjetsimpilot’s most recent video, showcasing lossless scaling app. It litterally tripled his FPS, and mine as well.
Graphics are looking good, even with stormy weather at JFK with FBW Traffic Injector.

I’m satisfied right now and able to wait for 2024 to release and then decide what to do from there.

I highly recommend this tool, it’s available on Steam for 7USD, worth every penny.

3 Likes