Is Render Scale in game cpu or gpu demanding?

It would be nice if someone could clarify this question. I thought it was gpu demanding to rise that setting but when I do it I see that the main thread is getting higher without taxing more my cpu use.
Is there any topic where we can find information about every setting in the configuration to know if it is cpu or gpu utilization?

Good question - I am no expert, but could it be both?

In other games it is the gpu which gets hurt as you use higher resolutions, not the cpu.

Yes, that I get – just wasn’t sure what the actual answer is, to your original question. Not sure anyone knows?

With msfs, render scale has a significant impact on GPU. However if you’re using openXR repro it will likely impact CPU also (to calculate the missed frames).

1 Like

Maybe this can help you

i’ll make sure i test render scaling performance on CPU, should be minimal though mostly GPU impact

if you open developer mode > show fps you can see if cpu frametime increases with higher render scaling

VR is a complety different story. I have noticed that the sim is always cpu limited. Even with 11900k/3090 the cpu is alway a millisecond behind the gpu. At least is that what the oxr overlay tells me.

This is observed with the 11900k in cooking plate mode and the 3090 undervolted to stable 1875mhz (+/-15mhz swing).

I use the oxr overlay in the absence of another tool to check this in VR while flying. So far its the only one known to me that can do this.

Thanks. I read it but it doesn’t help me to understand the issue with render scaling and cpu.
It doesn’t matter if I put all the sliders down or off, if I set render scale to more than 80, I have very low fps (less than 30). For example at 100 only 19-20 in VR with pimax 8kx. Even with no AA.
There must be some issue with msfs because my cpu is not fully utilized when I set render scaling so high. 9900k oc 2080ti

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if I put all the sliders down or off, if I set render scale to more than 80, I have very low fps (less than 30). For example at 100 only 19-20 in VR with pimax 8kx. Even with no AA.
There must be some issue with msfs because my cpu is not fully utilized when I set render scaling so high. 9900k oc 2080ti
At 70-80 render scaling is ok with 30fps or more.
Could it be that with so much resolution we need more vram in the gpu to keep performace or is it an issue with the mainthread in the cpu that asobo has to fix?

What about doing some test with different settings?

I have used fpsvr to know if it is gpu or cpu demanding. It isn’t the vram. It is gpu demanding. My cpu doesn’t get higher use. It is only my gpu the one that needs more ms to render. So render scaling is totally gpu demanding so, in theory, with a better gpu I could have more frames even if I raise the render scale.

1 Like

You try the impossible. Driving the 8kx with an 2080ti with 30fps at rr 100 is nothing but a dream.

There is no gpu by now strong enough to do this. Even a 3090 is hardly able to drive a G2 at 100% (about 60% of what the 8kx will need) with 30-35 fps @ medium to high settings.

You have to wait for the 4090 or an wonder.

To gain some fps reduce oxr first before touching rr because the environment is now softwashed by default and a little more softwashing there is not as prominent as the impact on the cockpit graphics when reducing rr.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.