Is Stuck in a rut or.. MSFS becoming bit like Netflix to you? Give us your inspiration, discoveries or rediscoveries

Two years into this game we have finally reached the point where we are really starting to enjoy the fruit tree in regards to the amount of amazing aircraft and airports now on offer… It’s starting to get quite overwhelming :grinning: :smile:

Last night I found myself scrolling through my now overflowing collection of planes and looking at all the stars on my map… :thinking:

Who else feels like being on Netflix and spending more time scrolling through trying to find inspiration than flying?:face_exhaling:
Who else has trouble now figuring what plane to fly or what route to do.

Once loved Aircraft that are now gathering dust, some never to be flown, be it default or third-party, airports brought that you’ve actually never flown to or only once??
Or stuck in ruts doing the same routes, flying the same plane, VFR or 33000ft IFR or flying in the same countries…

What are some of your hidden gems you found or rediscovered juring your two year journey.

I’ve been stuck doing the same domestic A32nx or Bae 146 flights in NZ, moved to the UK and have been discovering places in Europe with the 737, rediscovered the CRJ after 6 months since I last flew it and absolutely loving it, oblivious to some of the documented issues that had become obvious when we got some brilliant third-party aircraft…

I would love to discover USA and get into some vfr!!! but wow!! Where to start??!! Shes a big wide world

Thought about trying one of the extra apps that give you routes and tasks to do that you would have never thought of?

• SkyPark (payware by //42)
  • NeoFly (freeware with missions)
  • Grand Tour Flight Planner (on FS.TO)

Or grab some of the free Red Bull Air race sceneries and try to nail some stunt flying for a change of pace!

4 Likes

I know what you mean. The main thing I do to avoid your problem is to look for airfields that are special because of their history or geography or whatever. I love doing this, and sharing the result. Hope this helps. Cheers.

2 Likes

I like touring, flying from my home airport visiting countries and landing near to Photogrammetry scenery areas which I explore before heading off to the next one.

And I set myself rules, so no spawning at these airports, I fly from one to the other in real-time with real weather.

My current tour was from EGGD in my 172 G1000, down through France to Monaco and on to Italy, touring the whole country. Then West to Spain, visiting all the PG places in that country, Portugal, back to Northern Spain and I am now in France on my way back to EGGD.

Next I plan some training flights in the TBM from EGGD to EGPH then on to Denmark and Norway to re-visit areas I flew to in the winter.

After that I intend flying from EGGD to Australia in the TBM, I will then tour that country and New Zealand then make my way to America and work up into the USA for a tour of the states next summer.

I pretty much have a whole year of flights planned.

1 Like

This is exactly what I have recently decided to do. I’m trying the base NeoFly application, and trying to learn the various settings, missions, markets, etc…

I’m starting at a local airfield and flying VFR flights across the USA, visiting states, cities, and airports I never would have thought to fly to otherwise. Live weather, real-time. Looking forward to the random-ness of my travels.

If things go well, then I may donate to activate other options or purchase some of their add-ons.

1 Like

I’m doing a tour around the world, using various aircraft (from Cessna 172 to Boeing 787), doing VFR flights when I want to do some sightseeing or IFR if I want to move on to a next area/country or cross a sea or ocean.

I’m keeping a flight log and always depart from the airport where I arrived the last time. To decide where to go next, I look at the map (using little navmap) for interesting airports in the (distance/time) range I want to fly to, depending on the speed of the aircraft I want to fly.

This has already brought me to scenic places or challenging airports that I didn’t know about.

I know you guys will laugh, but one of the most exciting things that happened last week was when the wind went crazy and started blowing at 150kn in my plane’s face. It was actually thrilling, although I know some folks will have got annoyed.

I must admit I have often though that it would be cool to have events (optional of course), like Fortnight did.

Yes I am a pilot irl and love things to be realistic but occasionally (and again I say optionally), it would be fun to have some global events.

Tsunamis, Typhoons, Earthquakes, etc. Not thought too much about what those events would be but that is my 2P.

1 Like

Also the Aerosoft Antarctica pack is pretty cool (pun intended)

If I can’t decide where to fly I usually go to this website and hit the Random Airport button underneath the search bar:

https://ourairports.com/

Then I just pick a slow aircraft with good visibility and have a look around (in doubt pick the Asobo Cessna 152 … it’s an underrated bird with a near perfect realistic sound set that makes you feel like you are there!).

I found some cool places that way that I wouldn’t have thought to try otherwise.

2 Likes

Just hit 500 hours in the F14 Tomcat and I’m already finding MSFS boring. :sleeping: I love doing stunts, canyon runs, terrain following, and intercepts. Mostly at 1500 feet to try and enjoy the scenery but MSFS is lacking in that regard.

Looking forward to the addition of more helicopters. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Happy Flying :sunglasses:

https://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=2342

Great idea. I’m trying to get the 500 airport achievement badge. This will help.

I also plan to do all the default Asobo airport.

My personal rules are

1. My flight from airport to airport
  2. Real Time and real weather
  3. Default to IFR rules except with impossible to do otherwise
  4. Default plane is Kodiak – will use other is impossible to do otherwise

dw

2 Likes

Also if you are just wanting to generate flights, this one is handy, he even added some stuff by my request:

Airport Finder » Microsoft Flight Simulator

It’s very fast compared to the other one that takes aaaaggggeeeeess to generate a plan.

Have you ever spent too much time choosing Departure / Arrival airports for your flight? This application provides a solution for this problem by suggesting airports that you can fly from or fly to considering several factors.

The planet is massive. I’m around 3,010 hours flown and I’ve barely scratched the surface. Keep exploring. There’s plenty out there to see.

4 Likes

I find myself kinda bored at this point. But, I think once WASM comes to Xbox and we get helicopters in November, that’ll change.

Back to basics - go fly a pattern with the C152 or any steam gauge aircraft with less than 90-100 kts cruise, can you hold it well? No altitude loss? Are you hitting the speeds on time? Are you making the right calls as you enter the next leg? How many times can you do it before you badly mess up one leg?

X-country with VFR only - can you stay on course and overfly the landmarks/checkpoints without looking at a virtual chart or Moving Map aid (i.e., cockpit views only)?

Try flying an IFR flight using VORs and no AP - that one is pretty fun and challenging. With Live Weather enabled, the wind will really challenge you to stay on course and time.

9 Likes

We should start a “let’s fly here” thread. (As opposed to all the many group meets that have a specific a time and place).

Open to all and at any time of day so you never know who will turn up. Maybe a a new vicinity each week?

Just name a vicinity. Keep it a little organised. try to pick somewhere that has something interesting about it?

Maybe @Baracus250 would be up for that one?

4 Likes

Bush flights! New beautiful new places to explore. Different planes to fly. Lots of unknown airports to find and land. Tie the flights into side research provides a learning experience.

World Tour! Make up your own route. Visit every nation and continent in the world. Chose your aircraft. Find creative ways to stop in the nations with no airports. Study the nations and landscape as you travel.

1 Like

Recently purchased the NEO321 with 2 engine types to choose from (weird yes it means quite a bit to me :laughing:) and animated passengers in the cabin.

My main flights are, using the N321 are from EGPF or EGPH to EDDM and return.

I dont know why but theres just something about lining up to runway R08 after an hour 34 that feels great.

Same said for doing the journey’s to KORD and KJFK only in my 747.

For other fun I like to attempt landing at the St Maarten (TNCM) airport in the 747.