Is "the community" toxic?

I do remember and I think was also a bit offensive in your direction in a way, which I am sorry about. :innocent:

1 Like

When it comes to the world of PC games in general I have always found a couple of common ties between ALL game related forums. Players that own a particular game and are lucky enough to have an overall good experience in them typically are not starting a fresh thread to share that good experience with everyone else. That would be the exception rather than the rule as I see it.

On the other hand people that ARE having issues with a game generally start a thread about it. Their looking for answers or venting about the issue which is what you would expect. As for MSFS, I have to put myself in the first category for the most part. I have seen glitches but mostly I have a good experience with it.

When we do respond to a thread by someone who is having issues, we may not always respond in a way that shows much sympathy to their plight ( I have been guilty of that ) . They may also take some of what we say the wrong way or mis-understand because their already frustrated by the issue. That’s where things tend to devolve into a schoolyard style argument ( again guilty, and throw myself on the mercy of the court ) and away we go until we get locked, banned, or just run out ways to make a point.

It’s hard to determine in a forum setting whether a game issue is on the developer side of things or on the users side. The answer falls in the middle somewhere, to me anyway. The developer has to figure out their side of a problem for sure, and I think for the most part they are trying. They have a lot riding on the future of the platform and their reputation is at stake. We are still in the early stages at around the 8 month mark.

Us users have a large responsibility too though. What kind of PC build do we have? How old is it? What else do we have installed on it? Not just from a games stand point. What programs and apps are installed? How much bloatware is on it? How is the internet service? Do we know for sure if the system is free of adware, malware, viruses? The list goes on and on. Don’t think that these things would have no bearing on how a game should perform because they can and do.

After all that blather, yes, the forums are toxic at times. They always will be. That’s what they have moderators for.

Nothing I claimed to have agreed with but there certainly is a group of people here that do claim graphics are being dumbed down for XBOX.

1 Like

So far I’ve found the flight sim community to be the most friendly and least toxic gaming community I’ve been a part of. As others in this thread have pointed out, if you think this community is toxic you should see some others.

There’s always elements of game or sim communities who are snobbish towards ‘newbies’. I suspect there will be a huge influx of new players of the sim when the Xbox version is released.

Any kind of “toxicity” you can find on any forum of any game is nothing compared to what you might be subjected daily in life, in the workplace or outside, at least any “gaming related” forum is extremely easy to avoid or not to read. (focusing on other sections or ignoring certain threads or posts or situations)

Personally I am more interested in discussions with passionate\opposing points of view, even the most heated ones, how boring it would be not to have even that minimum of friction \ divergences \ etc. ?
( At least as long as one remain in the poles of civil or plausible discussion, it is obvious that a wall of insults given or received would no longer even be “toxicity” but raw ignorance)

1 Like

I think an online forum such as this lends itself to some degree to be a toxic environment. The people who monitor this forum seem to do a pretty good job in suppressing any blatantly inappropriate postings, but the fact that we are all anonymous to each other allows, and even encourages, the typical user to emphasize the negative and on occasion to treating other people’s opinions with disdain instead of using the difference of opinion as a beginning of a conversation.

Having said this, I firmly believe that if used properly, this forum can also serve as an invaluable resource for solving common problems, as well as sharing ideas on how to make the flight sim a more fun experience for everyone.

Vicious??? :rofl:
More like Angry Very Insecure SIMulation forum.

Folks have also used this narrative to come at VR users with torches and pitchforks.

That’s true. No company, Microsobo included, is ever going to make every single person happy. They are damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Now that might sound hilarious coming from me (someone who has held no punches in their criticism in the past) but I don’t subscribe to some of these fringe beliefs that are in the community.

I have not participated in many other online communities other than the Flight Sim community. I have stalked around a couple others and they honestly don’t seem much different than what we have here. There are fringes of any community who are going to do and say things that make the whole community look toxic.

I’ve found traces of voice recognition bits in the binaries… Maybe just experimental implementation left over, maybe actual future version bits, I don’t know.

Same for VR: there is no controller support yet, but there are already bits telling me they are experimenting with controlling the switches and knobs via a laser pointer or by direct contact. The latest update also includes the 3D model for hands:

6 Likes

I wouldn’t call it toxic, that’s a strong word. I’d call it misguidedly passionate to the point that some people forget their manners and tend to insult Asobo. That’s close to toxic, but not quite.

I wish people would once in a while put themselves into the shoes of Asobo and think about how it must feel, when you create such an incredibly complex project, put your heart and soul in it, and then get insulted by the users for some hickups.

As long as Asobo doesn’t actively try make things bad (and you would have to be pathologically paranoid to believe that) there is no reason to go down that route.

So yeah, let’s all just chill, despite the problems. I, for one, fire up MSFS almost every day and pretty much always have a blast, despite all the road bumps. Sure, there were days when some of the bugs ruined my fun and I said so, but in the end I still believe that is the best simming platform we ever had (I’m simming since the subLogic Flight Simulator II back in the 80s).

Yes, I say “platform”, because pretty much every Flight Simulator iteration so far only ever reached it’s full potential with 3rd Party Add-Ons, not with default aircraft. Still, I also think that this sim has the best default aircraft we ever had. No need to expect $80 study level add-on quality for every single one of them.

More appreciation for the amount of work that goes into this and less of a sense of entitlement would be nice. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For everyone who comes on these forums saying that Asobo introduce more bugs than they fix with every terrible update (their words, not mine), I’d love to run a poll with a choice of continuing along the current path, or reverting the sim back to laucnh state. I’m prepared to put a reasonable wager on the vote being massively in favour of continuing the current path.

The narrative of “the sim is so buggy and has been since day one”, “major flight model issues and avionics systems that are broken”, “updates to world or sim break more than they fix", “hot fixes that don’t actually fix stuff”, “the game should not have been released so early”, “Asobo needs to fix the basics before they add any more eye candy” gets tiring after a while.

This is a journey you can either enjoy or rail against. Everyone can make that choice.

I think that the community is generally not bad - but there are tendencies towards elitism, entitlement and definitely looking down on the “xbox crowd” as well as a general desire to keep it a closed shop “I’ve been in simming for years so my opinion counts more than yours” and a sense of a lack of openness to encouraging new simmers.

Don’t knwo if that makes it toxic or not.

5 Likes

I think the Xplane community is far more toxic, both from members and developers. That can be an ugly place, but it has had a lot longer to develop. MSFS community seems all in all pretty relaxed and helpful. People seem slightly less snappy here and arguments seem to resolve pretty nicely most of the time.

Hey wait didnt I see you in the movie Project X? Virgil is that you… Bwhahahhahaha

The real problem is people who adopted the word toxic to destroy everything they don’t like. It is ignorant to paint an entire community with one word. If differing opinions and the occasional blow out upset you there are plenty of other places to get your information (directed at OP).

1 Like

In my opinion, it’s just like every modern discussion these days on social media… you have a majority of people that enjoy the product and use it every day without issues. On the other side you have small minority that got issues yet they creating the “wave” of complains in order to be heard.
I would never expect to go into a “support” forum and find just good feedback. People in this place seeking solutions ! that’s why there is some negativity to it.

For a console it’s definitely powerful.
And it’s priced nicely for its components.
But it’s not a high end gaming PC. It’s component choices place it rather a capable but mid range gaming PC which is why a lot of its titles will lock at 30fps for 4k.
Indeed a compatible build using off the shelf components while costing more would be capable of 4k@60 in most titles.

There are hardware differences which are out of reach of any self build right now. The most significant of these is the 16Gb of GDDR6 shared between GPU and system.

For its price and footprint it’s a great console and while almost certainly better than anything in a laptop form factor it’s not comparable to a proper high end PC in a proper case with a capable cooling solution.

1 Like

Maybe they should give the X-Boxers their own separate forum.

1 Like

I am pretty sure they will have their own dedicated section here in these forums.

I’m sure they will get their own sub forums like us VR folks.
Lets see how many torch and pitchforkers will actually be able to resist their trollish urges to go visit those sub forums and lash out at them and purposely try to start conflict to sabotage their threads to have them closed.(yes there are toxic users with that sort of behavior among us)
We shall see…:smirk:

:see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: