Is the FlyByWire A32NX Incompatible post Update 5

Alright, so I’m pretty sure I have found the culprit causing the crashing with the development version on my end and it has to do with a windows update *preview (KB5004331) that is automatically installed.

Last night I had updated to 0.7.0-dev 2021-08-03T21:21:36+00:00 and made two attempts to load the aircraft with no success, resulted in Crash to Desktop when loading the flight. This was with all steps taken to minimize crashing, clean community folder, clean install of FBW, newly rebuilt content.xml and a clean LocalState Packages folder. Still Crashed to Desktop when trying to load.

So, peering into event viewer I noticed two events being listed in event viewer at the time of the Crash to Desktop the first one was an Event ID 1000 Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0

Following the event 1000 was three Event ID 33 events. These are SideBySide errors showing errors in .Net Framework assemblies. SidebySide can have faults as well, people often think of SidebySide as fool proof which is often not the case. With these three SidebySide events I also noticed in game leading up to the CTD the sound cut in and out three consecutive times before eventually crashing. Another important note that the sim and other add-ons like the heavy 787, Working Title CJ4 and various others ran just fine with this KB5004331 installed. To me that is not necessarily stating its solely an issue with FBW though a combination of the two. It’s always more than one in any relationship, right?

Activation context generation failed for “C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_c46a533c8a667ee7\MFC80.DLL”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture=“amd64”,publicKeyToken=“1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=“win32”,version=“8.0.50608.0” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

It dawned on me that a few evenings back I had checked windows updates and noticed it had automatically installed Update *Preview (KB5004331)

I normally stay away form the updates that are labeled as previews but in this instance I had no choice, it just installed.

So I went into control panel, Programs and Features, View Installed updates and filtered by date and found KB5004331 at the top. Uninstalled it then rebooted the system. Loaded up the sim selected the FBW and also even selected a livery that was listed as update 5 compatible, loaded in with success with the exception it took a little longer than usual with the add-on building the work folder. Got loaded in, calibrated the throttle, got set up for a flight from KLAS to KDEN and it all went without a hitch. Well, with the exception of the live weather bug that seemingly you cannot avoid with even using the latest version of Rex Weather Force.

One other issue that was apparent was that after inserting a flight number in the aircraft selection screen that flight number became my call sign in flight as well even though I was using a livery that has it’s own call sign being that of SpirtWings. Not sure if this is a bug with the Sim, a bug in FBW or a bug in the livery. Anyways, I hope this may help people who are still having CTD’s even though they have taken all steps possible to minimize the occurrence. Now, I am not sure where any newer versions of the FBW stand with this now though I think I’ll leave this KB5004331 uninstalled for the time being. And as always, amazing progress the FBW team is making on the A320! Loving the new textures and those screens are looking beautiful!

@Watsi01

2 Likes