Is the i9 11900k @ 5.2ghz and 3090 on 1440p good?

Good morning, to you All,

As per my topic name I have system that less than a year old in general except my cooler that is 2 year old and my GPU that is just baby few days old, and my question(s) are first,

Is my i9 11900k @5.2Ghz /5.1ghz still good to run MSF at 1440p as my screen is IPS MSI 2k 165hz GSync monitor paired with EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA V2- resizable bar activated, and I got low profile DDR4 32GB 3600mhz RGB Corsair Vengeance 2x 16gb sticks in XMP profile with tide timings, and this all seating on GIGABYTE Z590 Aorus Master MB, 2x Nvme 512gb 3.0 one 1x Nvme 4.0 and additional ssd 256gb by gigabyte, the operative system is latest all updated Windows 11pro.

MSFS settings ultra customs all set to max except the TLOD is 150 and Details LOD is 200, rest is really ultra all on and maxed. Then I got TAA and scale 100, running on DX11. Resolution is native 1440p vsync on and 50% refresh locked.

Now I have few cases were my system gives me flying o/s view 75-80 fps let’s say at certain altitude no matter what is below, but then flying low lvl massive city’s under let’s say New York Manhattan I get exterior view 56-60fps on cockpit view 737-600PMDG 39-43fps, but I’m constantly Main Thread limited, GPU usage is a joke! 35-44-55% GPU not even sweating :sweat: that is in game

Now super stupid thing by MSFS so how come In the menu MSFS GPU utilisation is 99%, that if I don’t lock via vsync 33%-50% my refresh rate, unlocked GPU just gets 99% in menu, once in game flying GPU just chill no sweat!

I feel that MSFS team need to improve this work on it so that gpu can help and work bit more in MSFS otherwise what is point having 1800ÂŁ GPU I did have almost same fps with my EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW3 ultra, almost same.

So I would like to know how to improve CPU and GPU utilisation is there any way to get this better, and do you think my system is okay to run MSFS?

Or shall I think in rid of i9 11900k and board and ram and just get z690 and 12900k and new ddr5 ram kit for 32GB 5000mhz ?

But I’m still thinking this current system is more than capable run MSFS great and it should be! I believe developers need to work harder in optimising sim to give ability to systems like mine and others in similar shoes enjoy their system and sim, without needing to upgrade 1 year old systems just so that they are able to enjoy sim at great visuals and on maximum settings with reasonable fps, again knowing that gpu is able to pull 60plus fps the limitation i believe is not our machines but yes Microsoft Flight Simulator that is the issue, and frankly we paying such money for addons and sim itself we need to see better performance improvements, and want to highlight the development team doing great they are on right path but I frankly expected just a little more better.

Anyway guys sorry and thanks for your comments below, let me know what you think and how can I improve, if there is any guides or tweaks to get better performance let me know, I would much appreciate

Stan

My system and some details on GPU from X1 precision EVGA

No, it is not God…but it is good

Also don’t think of FPS in this sim the same way they translate into say…C.O.D…if panning is smooth and visuals are good, feel good. Flight sims have never been this visual and smooth as they are at this point.
Rejoice!

2 Likes

:saluting_face: cheers thanks for spotting that out, corrected !

1 Like

Well I agree, but same time you would expect better from a modern simulation programe or game what you wanna call it, as any other game or software would take advantage of system and hardware it have available to utilise, now MSFS not doing it good or doing it to good, in sense only uses specific hardware, not spreading utilisation a cross all system evenly, ram, cpu, gpu, hdd and eventually software operative system to balance things out, so more performance can be extracted making our experience better, this is me think on it.

As in my opinion could be better and more efficient and at this stage in “championship” I would expect just more after few years of updates

Btw I’m running 3090fe.with 8700k @5ghz 64gb ddr4 cl14…i think you’ve got a perfect match of CPU and GPU

2 Likes

Thanks budd, did my best and lots of hard work to get it were it is, and still improving and working on it to bring it to best this PC can be! Constantly adding improvements and equipment to not only look nice but strong in performance, I had to take out my sleeved custom cables I had black and grey when I had 2080 ti FTW3, just because 3090 and I wanted it to have clean power delivery and also I had swapped my old PSU with new one as now I got EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000w Gold

As said above this is an perfect match. It doesn’t make much sense to swap single components. Enjoy it for an year or more and then step up the ladder to 13900k, 4090ti (or whatever is sota then) and an even wider monitor or VR.

BTW, I have had much fun in VR with this hardware combination.

1 Like