Is the Saitek X52 good?

You have at least some customer support from the vendor your bought it. I got my X52 from Amazon last christmas, and when the problems continue I´ll send it back and look for something different…

But there is one small problem when looking for something different:

I have watched YouTube videos how the technology and interior of these joysticks look like, and they are all the same. It´s the same sensors the same cheap plastic stuff underneath the stick everywhere no matter if it costs 100€ of 500€…

After 5 years of waiting I replaced my with Arcaze modified G940 Throttle with a Winwing Taurus this year. But otherwise VKB is also my first choice (2x Gunfighter, 2x Gladiator, 6 Grips)

nope, not everythere. VKB, Virpil and Wingwing is Outstanding Quality for his pricerange.

Ah you are right! Virpil has outstanding quality.
Disgusting WWII looks like some iron banana without any fancy LEDs or displays :smiley: but SUPERB quality, perfect smooth movement - I have watched a lot of review videos of the Virpil joystick.
The Virpil is a great choice.

Have a look at:

I’ll do that. I’ve videos of guys using some kind of spring tension mod on the stick. It seem pretty difficult.

No it’s not difficult. The tension tool has the shape of a “U” pulldown the spring and put the “U” over the spring. Thre is nothing to dissasemple.

Out of curiosity @GamingCat2130 why didn’t you just go for the Gladiator since you took note of it before your purchase? It’s way better than these ball and socket joysticks from TM and Logitech-Saitek (and has quite different internal design, even if it’s plastic).

1 Like

Because the X52 has more LEDs and a great looking illuminated display, and the thrust lever looks like the one in an F-16 :slight_smile:

To each their own I guess. I think Gladiator has enough leds on the joystick for functional use, not that I have actually bothered to program them to demonstrate mode states or anything. On more substantial end it has the twist axis on contactless sensor so the jitter problems you have had would not have happened with it.

As for throttle the Gladiator doesn’t come with one, nor does VKB even make a fighter style throttle (or at least doesn’t until the VKB TECS comes out sometime before 2100). But there is a close, and rather cheap standalone knockoff of the Saitek throttle around called Titanwolf. Doesn’t have the display though.

But the Gladiator has no thrust lever, and the thrust lever was one of the most important features for me.
(not my computer, I use a black wireless mouse with OLED display, but I am to lazy too look for a thrust lever picture on my computer that´s why a random picture link here).

Look how awesome and immersive the green (dimmable) illumination of this joystick looks like!

It looks absolute impressive. Unfortunately the display is another proof what absolute rip-off trash Saitek throws on the market, a few years earlier this HOTAS cost the insane price of 300€ but has the quality of an amusement park market stall toy.
The display is flickering and switching off almost every day (a problem every other user in all other Saitek forums has), every axis is slightly jittering (well this is normal) but one axis when bunting the stick to the left is outright not functional (when moving the stick only one millimeter it gives 100% rudder to the left).

I assume the X56 Rhino and the Thrustmaster Warthog will be the same plastic trash with cheapest Chinese sensors but with an even higher even outright insane price-tag of a small notebook or so…

So it looks like when my ways part with the X52 when I contact customer service, there will be no proper replacement on the market and I will continue flying with the keyboard :smiley:

Hm but maybe I give this Airbus HOTAS a chance this Christmas, some YouTubers like it:

s-l640-3777076092

s-l640-2516489845

I think I already know what I am going to buy myself for Christmas this year, the Fenix Airbus and the TCA joystick! Epic!

Yes, but as I was saying you can buy this thing standalone for 50€ in Yurop:

The other standalone HOTAS throttle options are TM TWCS for another cheap one, and then TM Warthog throttle, Winwing throttles and the Virpil throttle on the pricier end. Plus VKB TECS whenever they get around to releasing it. All of those can be used in combination with any joystick that plugs independently into the computer (as most joysticks do).

I think disappointment with price-quality of Thrustmaster and Logitech-Saitek is the reason why the VKB Gladiator attracted so many free shills (if you go to r/Hotas they will practically refuse to recommend any other joystick in sub 400€ price range) when it was released couple of years back. The earlier versions (with more simple grip) had some updraft at least from 2018 or so, but then there was an almost fully featured stick (sans ability to mount it on extender) that was better than TM Warthog for less money. Also helped that at time there was ton of price gouging while VKB’s own stores (they only sell it directly) didn’t engage in such so it was comparatively cheap even. It’s clearly possible to do better in these kinds of price ranges so why aren’t the mainstream brands doing it? It’s probably nothing more than complacency, as they regard the small boutique brands as indirect competitors still.

(Though at least Thrustmaster can make genuinely good products if they care, though I don’t think that list is any broader than the Pendular Rudder and perhaps the Boeing Yoke at the moment)

That sounds like Windows power management issues with USB ports. I have never had need to do it, but there should be guides online how to disable it.

I don’t think jittering so soon is normal for potentiometers. It’s their invariable fate since they wear in use, but that suggest either bad parts, bad installation or bad design.

But these are also potentiometer issues, I have never had issues with contactless sensors either from Thrustmaster (who uses Hall effect sensors) or VKB (who uses MaRS sensors). At best there is imperfect mechanical centering, at least on lighter springs, but that can be deadzoned out. On Gladiator all the three main axes (including the twist) are on those sensors.

It’s an okey stick for the price, though I think you’ll find it rather cheap still. Also while the pitch and roll are on Hall effect sensors, the twist axis is on potentiometer and one which is infamous for it’s lack of longevity (something which Thrustmaster chose to carry over from earlier version of that stick, in which it had been well known for years).

Just to clarify, the VKB Gladiator does have a throttle axis on the base in it’s standard form. Plus 3 or 4 hats, 6 or 7 buttons, two rotary controls / double buttons and the trigger or triggers, depending on model. You can also add additional modules from VKB for throttle / pitch / mixture, additional controls like flaps & landing gear and a further module for autopilot controls, among others. Before buying I compared it to the offerings from Logitech / Saitek and Thrustmaster, and frankly there is no comparison at all. You can fly perfectly well with the standard stick and add to it over time as funds allow or as you see fit. The full Gladiator NXT setup is just in a different league to the mass market devices.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t want to use that as throttle axis. The lever on the base and the encoders (when reprogrammed as axes) are nice for flaps, cowl flaps, chokes, carb heat and similar. The encoders are also great as trimmers. You can program them to work a virtual axis, bind that as pitch trim and set it to super fine resolution so that each step represents less than 0.1 change in ingame pitch trim.

Those modules are probably decent, though I don’t think they achieved quite as good price performance here, at least with the button boxes, as they did with the joystick. For me, the real competitor for these weren’t game controllers at all but cheap Midi controllers (though these need extra hoops to set as game ones, especially outside MSFS). I went with the apparently popular Behringer X-Touch Mini which has 8 endless rotary knobs with center push function, 16 simple push buttons with leds and a fader (axis) in two led indicated layers (for total of 16 rotary knobs, 48 buttons and two axes). At very least as much feature as those two VKB boxes, third the price.

I should have clarified - my post was more aimed towards GamingCat, who mentioned above that the Gladiator didn’t have a throttle, and I just wished to clarify that it does, in case it might help their choice.

I agree with you that the throttle on the base of the Gladiator NXT is not the greatest throttle in the world, but it’s fine for starters and gives you an amazing hotas for £150.

I don’t agree about the Behringers, in my particular case at least. I have no interest in messing about with mini / midi controllers - the form factor plus the additional workarounds to make them function suitably for MSFS has no appeal to me at all, and likely others.
As I already had the Gladiator, the VKB modules suited me perfectly - I particularly appreciate that they all fit together into one unit, which I need for my working space. They are also extremely capable - far more than you can tell by looks alone. They don’t need additional drivers, and all the modules are configured, calibrated and customised from the powerful VKB config software, which is flexible and convenient. They are specifically designed for space / flight sim so they are already laid out in a sensible way e.g. the autopilot panel, with the VS button and nose up/down control mimicking a genuine layout which is a godsend for VR flying. They come with any adjustment tools needed plus the appropriate (and customisable) shafts, coloured handles, labels etc. They use excellent dry clutches on the axes which are all adjustable for tension and have a great tactile feel, plus you can configure the flaps and landing gear controls anywhere between multiple steps or simple up/down.
The online support is so useful, and the VKB team have helped me and plenty of others resolve any questions and get them set up as per our preferences. So overall they may have cost more than a non-dedicated solution, but still for me they represent amazing value.

Good point on the form factor. I wouldn’t want to be reaching out for Midi controller knobs in VR. But as far as getting it working with MSFS is concerned in my case I wanted to buy Spad.next or AAO anyway, and it was simply plug and play with those (especially with AAO).

1 Like

Bonjour,
Après plus de 20 ans d’absence sur Flight, j’étais resté à la version 2004, j’ai ressorti mon X52 Saitek et j’ai racheté une licence FS 2020.
J’ai téléchargé les derniers pilotes X52 que j’ai pu trouver.
J’avoue que je suis complètement paumé, entre l’appli sur mon bureau, hors FS, X52 H.O.T.A.S,
Entre le calibrage windows joys cpl et les profils que j’ai rentré dans Flight.
Entre parenthèse, lorsque je vais dans joy.cpl, je vois mon axe de rotation Z qui tourne bien vers la gauche, met qui se remet toujours à clignoter sur la droite en position neutre. Est-ce normal ?
Lorsque je vais dans mon profil, je dois cocher manette de gaz inversion, pour qu’elle se remplisse lorsque je la pousse. Mais ça à l’air de fonctionner. Idem pour le frein de parking que j’ai affecté à la gachette 1-15.
Dès que je commence par exemple un vol sur Cessna, il me demande de lacher le frein de parking. Ma manette ne répond pas . Donc je retourne valider mon profil et je reviens dans le jeu. Ca à l’ai r OK, mais la manette de gaz ne fonctionne pas .
Tout cela m’a l’air bien compliqué.
Je suis loin de m’amuser.
Dois-je laisser tomber de nouveau pour 20 ans ?
Merci pour votre aide
Parlez moi comme si j’avais 4 ans